Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's it, I'm done procrastinating and I'm ordering a couple Google Nest Protects for my garage.

I've got one and it works well in my attached garage. I don't have any non electric fueled devices or vehicles. If you've got even one it won't work (no lawn care stuff, nothing).

The spec sheet says don't put in a garage but that's mostly because of extreme temps and fumes. Eliminate both but I've exceeded listed temps in spec. Last winter dropped to 5F and has gone as high as 110.

I've got one and it works well in my attached garage. I don't have any non electric fueled devices or vehicles. If you've got even one it won't work (no lawn care stuff, nothing).

The spec sheet says don't put in a garage but that's mostly because of extreme temps and fumes. Eliminate both but I've exceeded listed temps in spec. Last winter dropped to 5F and has gone as high as 110.

My garage is the bottom floor of my house so the temperature is pretty stable. There would be one ICE in the garage, but I've read lots of reviews of people doing this with no problems.

Are electric cars more likely to catch fire?

"..gasoline powered cars are about 11 times more likely to catch fire than a Tesla."

I have posted all this data in other threads and get it. The big difference that is ignored in saying this, is that the average age of the Tesla fleet is 2-3 years while the average age of ICE vehicles is 12 years in the US. And the tail of the age distribution is almost 100 years for ICE and about 10 years for Tesla.

The other difference is a car with a fuel leak gives off an odor an alert driver would notice. No such warning on a fubar’d battery pack.

will likely never forget the day my college GF arrived at my place and an odor of gas (not beans!) followed her into the little apartment. Opened the hood on her Jeep to see a little fountain of gas squirting from a cracked fuel line. Luckily it didn’t catch fire...

I have posted all this data in other threads and get it. The big difference that is ignored in saying this, is that the average age of the Tesla fleet is 2-3 years while the average age of ICE vehicles is 12 years in the US. And the tail of the age distribution is almost 100 years for ICE and about 10 years for Tesla.

Which actually kinda makes the point of EV's being safer: 100 years of ICE development/refinement, safety, etc, yet ICE related fires STILL a problem.

Pretty sure (less than) 88 years from now, Tesla's fire issues will be almost nil due to tech advancements.

Reactions: SO16
Which actually kinda makes the point of EV's being safer: 100 years of ICE development/refinement, safety, etc, yet ICE related fires STILL a problem.

Pretty sure (less than) 88 years from now, Tesla's fire issues will be almost nil due to tech advancements.

No. Thats just magical thinking.

Older vehicles (or things) have more failures. True for computers, airplanes, houses, etc.

Comparing an older population to a newer population isn’t a fair comparison. We would need the data on the number of ICE fires for a population of vehicles with a comparable distribution in ages to draw a valid conclusion.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
No. Thats just magical thinking.

Older vehicles (or things) have more failures. True for computers, airplanes, houses, etc.

Comparing an older population to a newer population isn’t a fair comparison. We would need the data on the number of ICE fires for a population of vehicles with a comparable distribution in ages to draw a valid conclusion.

2015 Kia's (Per the news clip above) are "older"? I mean, admittedly that's 5 years old. But still....

Yea, it looked like a facelift car, and I'm not 100% sure but it looked like a 2 digit badge with a 0, so 60, 70 or 90. Whichever batter that was, there is good chance a new firmware will be coming soon to keep those coolant pumps humming, like the 85's.
I am not hitting that update button anymore until it's clear that Tesla is not crippling my range even more!
I still can't forgive myself for -
1. Waking up at 2 am to update from v8 --> v9 :mad:
2. Battery gate update right after that Hong Kong fire video.

There is another one, too. My son has a Chrysler Pacifica hybrid. I borrowed it recently and he cautioned me that there had been a few instances of the cars catching fire, so he had been parking his outside to avoid a house fire. Chrysler apparently has no fix yet, so they have not yet issued a recall. The fires seem to be related to a connection to the 12 volt battery (not the high voltage battery), either getting loose or corroded and building up resistance.

I am not hitting that update button anymore until it's clear that Tesla is not crippling my range even more!
I still can't forgive myself for -
1. Waking up at 2 am to update from v8 --> v9 :mad:
2. Battery gate update right after that Hong Kong fire video.
Welcome to the "No Update Club". We may have to move the meetings to a larger hall after the lockdowns are over. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
There is another one, too. My son has a Chrysler Pacifica hybrid. I borrowed it recently and he cautioned me that there had been a few instances of the cars catching fire, so he had been parking his outside to avoid a house fire. Chrysler apparently has no fix yet, so they have not yet issued a recall. The fires seem to be related to a connection to the 12 volt battery (not the high voltage battery), either getting loose or corroded and building up resistance.
Report that to the NHTSA immediately! "No fix yet" is no excuse for any company to risk your lives avoiding a recall, the NHTSA doesn't allow delays like that. If they can't fix it Chrysler will have to buy it back.

Reactions: croman
does anyone else feel like this was staged? Anyone ever seen the fire departments actually setting fires to cars and then putting them out in certain situations so they know how to react when it really happens. My local FD does here every year. They set fire to houses here as well so they are ready when it’s not a controlled blaze.

I can’t see any reports of this fire and the music and all that just feels like it’s not real.