Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD Beta Button for 2021 Refreshed Plaid and Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's just going to be interesting. I haven't seen any videos with the yoke and how people handle it.
Here is some Yoke time.

I question the hands-gripping position
Grip.jpg

and the index-finger or "nub" turn looks pretty risky at the hairpin
Nub.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MEL-22 and impastu
I enjoy the yoke (not the buttons) in my Plaid so I converted my new MYP over to a yoke for consistency! Review can be found here.

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu
A whole somewhat pointless video of a yoke on AP driving at about 5mph. Not the real Tesla yoke but close enough. Unlike other "Yoke on Autopilot" videos at least this one is turning.

Yep I think this is a good example of what it will be like when the wheel is turning back and forth. With the round steering wheel, it is always in the same place. With the yoke it's like a rectangle with different places at different times. So I don't see how you can keep your hands in one steady position to take control. And don't get me wrong. I am a yoke enthusiast. I absolutely love it. I do feel though with FSD beta, it's going to be trickier than manual driving. Especially with some of the erratic movements the wheel makes when FSD is engaged. We shall see soon enough.....

Got my first safety score yesterday and here are some observations.
The algorithm is heavily tuned for highway driving. Normal city driving may ding you.
Someone cutting in front of you will result in “unsafe following distance” and probably “hard breaking”
Full regen (no traditional braking) at speeds above 50mph will result in “hard breaking”
Traffic lights at throughways will likely result in “hard breaking” when change
Full 90’ turn may result in “aggressive turning”
Quick turn to avoid an obstacle will result in “aggressive turning”
Bushes on the side of the road may cause “forward collision warning”
Running stop signs or red lights to avoid hard breaking will not result in penalty
Gently rear ending someone to avoid “hard breaking” will not result in penalty (“unsafe following distance” kicks in above 50mph)
Using autopilot may be a “get out of jail” card for hard breaking but not for turning

Overall, it is a good beta and they could use more sensors/logic to improve it. Would love to see exact time when the “infraction” occurred, potentially with video. It would have much better effect on behavior - now, it is somewhat difficult to find exactly what caused the ding.

I enjoy the yoke (not the buttons) in my Plaid so I converted my new MYP over to a yoke for consistency! Review can be found here.

I like the yoke too. The buttons are sloppy. The high beam button i used for the first time lastnight and it was pretty hit or miss.

Reactions: jebinc and impastu