Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a huge difference between being disgusted by the technology itself and being disgusted by the way it's being developed and marketed.
Most people don't get disgusted with technology, although I do have a cousin that outright cannot stand the beta culture that we've found ourselves in, where everything is pre-release quality and nothing ever seems to be "done". I totally understand his viewpoint, but I'd personally prefer to use the latest cutting edge features even if they're still being smoothed out. It's when something has been out there for years and is still half-baked (like Tesla's media options), that it gets old for me.

In this case, I was more speaking of the car itself, or Tesla as a whole, as they've made more than a few mistakes on their way. "Move fast and break things", is the Silicon Valley way though isn't it? Kinda feels different when it's not just a software release, but instead now a 6-figure-priced automobile.

The same way it does with parallel parking.

So autopark will be useless unless the parking spaces are clearly delineated with lines like this: [______][______] The empty, no line space is the curb. So unless you are lucky enough to live in a city where most parallel parking spots are drawn in, you'll have to parallel park yourself because autopark will parallel park 18"- 24" away from the curb which it can't detect. Useless.

The parking in front of my house and block are not drawn in so autopark has been useless and I expect it to still be useless with FSD.

FYI, my car was an inventory car with EAP, 2.5, and we added FSD for 5K when we purchased in Sept. I was told that if we had ordered and bought a car with FSD, FSD will have cost 3K. Since we already got a 14K discount for buying an inventory car plus the full tax credit, no sales tax, etc, the FSD for 5K wasn't as painful.

So autopark will be useless unless the parking spaces are clearly delineated with lines like this: [______][______] The empty, no line space is the curb. So unless you are lucky enough to live in a city where most parallel parking spots are drawn in, you'll have to parallel park yourself because autopark will parallel park 18"- 24" away from the curb which it can't detect. Useless.

The parking in front of my house and block are not drawn in so autopark has been useless and I expect it to still be useless with FSD.

FYI, my car was an inventory car with EAP, 2.5, and we added FSD for 5K when we purchased in Sept. I was told that if we had ordered and bought a car with FSD, FSD will have cost 3K. Since we already got a 14K discount for buying an inventory car plus the full tax credit, no sales tax, etc, the FSD for 5K wasn't as painful.
He was asking about “curbs” not lined spaces. Those are sensed with the ultrasonics not cameras

He was asking about “curbs” not lined spaces. Those are sensed with the ultrasonics not cameras

Yes, I know. The ultrasonic sensors are useless for curbs right now. The car doesn't seem to recognize curbs because they are low and close to the wheels and are terrible at parallel parking and detecting curbs in general. Parallel parking works better with lines because the cameras are better using drawn lines than the ultrasonic sensors which don't work well for curbs. I don't expect that to change with FSD.

Reactions: OPRCE
But, there are dependencies on bandwidth and being able to save. I don't know if MCU1 can handle saving a dash cam video from all the cameras while also doing the other functionality.

Plus there is Validation and Verification of the SW where you have to do it on both platforms. It's a very different platform in terms of x86 versus Arm. Plus there is likely so few AP2.5/MCU1 so why bother? Simply upgrade those people to AP3/MCU2.

There is likely a lot of things that a FSD car needs to do where we can't think of it as just the AP computer. It's everything in the car working together where they have different jobs to do.

In fact one of my reservations about FSD is the fact that the navigation right now isn't really all that good. Can the MCU1 hardware support a really good offline navigation system? I dunno.

Sure it's still much simpler than figuring out what to do with AP2.

Who knows what they're going to do about that one.

The cameras are different (the filter on the sensor is different)
The radar is different
It doesn't have the wiring redundancy that HW2.5 has.

I'm really, really curious to see what Tesla does with a AP2 owner who bought the FSD package. That person is going to get the FSD upgrade, but it remains to be seen how much Tesla will update.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had to update everything. If they don't there will be a lot of angry SW developers at Tesla for making them go through hell to support different sets of equipment that have non-trivial differences.

When something is against a rock and a hard place you never know which side is the one to give.

Again, MCU has no bearing on the AP computer.

Was browsing all of the chat groups, and I came across this screen grab. If you read it carefully, it indicate that AP3 hardware is already in the new S3X coming from the factory... Does that mean that the AP3 hardware is coming soon for us who have pre-paid for FSD?

I asked Elon the question on twitter. No response so far. We probably need more people to ask and like it to get his attention.

Source = Zubin Anary on Twitter

IMG_5835.JPG
IMG_5836.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE and EinSV
@verygreen already said post Jan 9 or something cars have hw3 installed.

Many have said so, but not a single person has sent in pictures of the AP3 computer. It's visible if you remove that side panel (last least on my Model S and Model X), or if you remove the glove box door.

I'd like to see someone with a 2019 build show images of the AP3 computer :)

FSD showed $5k on my Tesla page all day until about an hour ago. I plunked down the $3k.

Same here. Just plunked down the 3k too. One of my only regrets buying this car was not buying FSD (sales rep talked me out of it).

I know for most people it might not be worth price of admission, but I like being an early adopter and I’m not worried about “getting my moneys worth.”

Reactions: OPRCE
I'm trying to complete this diagram. It would help if people can mention the following details:

• Whether you have taken delivery and if yes whether it was in 2019 or before
  • Do you have a Model S/X or Model 3?
  • EU or US
  • It would help to hear from people who don't have EAP. What prices do they see? Do they see the new AP/FSD options or old EAP/FSD options?

9sZGAxm.gif

Last edited: