Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure I can agree with awesome. I've been on 8.4 for just a day but have seen indications that it might not be as stable as 50.6. I'll have a better idea tomorrow. 3 days ago I drove 300 miles on interstate 55. 2018.50.6 was almost flawless using NoA. Tomorrow I'll be driving the same 300 miles using NoA and 8.4. I will have a better feel about this version afterwards. Really hope I'm not sorry I downloaded 2019.8.4
It seems to be working much better on my car, after your trip let us know how it went.50.6 my car loved to stay close to the center line and would slow down just ever so slightly when it past another car.

It is truly astounding that no one has been able to get an answer on that simple a question. How hard is it for Tesla to let people know whether Sentry Mode and Dash Cam are MCU or AP HW based? Can't a journalist with a little clout ask that simple question?

I'm not sure why this is even still in doubt, the Tesla statement was clear enough:

The feature will begin rolling out today to U.S. Model 3 vehicles, followed by Model S and Model X vehicles that were built after August 2017.

After August 2017 is HW2.5, but still MCU1 until around March 2018...

You don't think if you are driving on a crowded highway, you hit your right turn signal while AP is active and the car goes halfway into the lane and then aborts back into its original lane that this is not dangerous? This is how accidents are triggered by pass happy idiots that occupy my lane before I complete the lane change.

...and that's why the driver is to monitor it... My hands are on the wheel and if it tries to jerk back over it cannot overpower my hands...

You must be an unsafe driver if you're allowing it to jerk back and forth on it's own volition.

Reactions: ChrML
Since the FSD computer is now available and according to yesterday's presentation has been installed in Model S and X for the last few months why would it not make sense to begin retrofitting AP2+ cars that have already purchased FSD now? They would be ahead of the game once FSD features are released and help avoid a glut of request.

Since the FSD computer is now available and according to yesterday's presentation has been installed in Model S and X for the last few months why would it not make sense to begin retrofitting AP2+ cars that have already purchased FSD now? They would be ahead of the game once FSD features are released and help avoid a glut of request.

1) I wouldn't assume that the board is at the level of "volume production" right now that allows them to not only meet manufacturing need but also build up a multi-hundred-thousand unit inventory for swaps.

2) I don't think Tesla is in any position at this point to burden their balance sheet or completely overwhelmed service infrastructure with optional activities.

1) I wouldn't assume that the board is at the level of "volume production" right now that allows them to not only meet manufacturing need but also build up a multi-hundred-thousand unit inventory for swaps.

2) I don't think Tesla is in any position at this point to burden their balance sheet or completely overwhelmed service infrastructure with optional activities.
1. Then I would suggest they stop selling FSD to AP2+ cars until they have such capacity.

2. Burdening their balance sheet? The funds are already on their balance sheet from preselling FSD. Optional activities, really? Didn't it become an obligation when they sold FSD under the premise that the car has everything needed for FSD other than a future OTA software update?

1. Then I would suggest they stop selling FSD to AP2+ cars until they have such capacity.

Lol, suggest all you want, I'm not sure you're gonna get much traction suggesting they should stop accepting $5,000 from people who want to give it to them.

2. Burdening their balance sheet? The funds are already on their balance sheet from preselling FSD. Optional activities, really? Didn't it become an obligation when they sold FSD under the premise that the car has everything needed for FSD other than a future OTA software update?

Long term obligation, certainly. Must-do right now? Not at all. There's no feature in production that necessitates the new hardware and likely won't be for quite some time. They have not a lot of incentive to burden their service operation with that task right now in a time when they're struggling to succeed at just the basics.

Are you suggesting that Elon is lying to us? Or are you suggesting his going to grab the cash from hords of Johnny come latelies and abandone those who funded the project. Kick Starter doesn't even do that, do they?

His statements yesterday left no doubt that L4 at a minimum would be delivered by year end. This year. No question mark.

Are you suggesting that Elon is lying to us? Or are you suggesting his going to grab the cash from hords of Johnny come latelies and abandone those who funded the project. Kick Starter doesn't even do that, do they?

His statements yesterday left no doubt that L4 at a minimum would be delivered by year end. This year. No question mark.
No,
POSSIBLE by the end of the year..... Subject to regulation

You must be new here. ;)

I was enticed to purchase in late 2016 at the height of the autopilot 2.0 "full self driving" promises and faked demo. 2.5 years later I'm still waiting for the enhanced autopilot suite promised in December 2016 to be feature complete, let alone a whiff of full self driving.

The idea that any Tesla will have true L4 autonomy enabled by the end of this year requires a massive suspension of disbelief even by Elon standards. I'm sure we'll see a few incremental "FSD" features that require complete driver supervision just like now, and it's highly likely that they'll work just fine on AP 2.5 - pushing the date for mandatory HW3 upgrades even farther out.

Reactions: KArnold
Because it would cost Tesla money. Don't worry, Elon already planned the excuse. Notice he mentioned yesterday that the next AP chip is already half done. So my guess is the story for AP2.x customers will be "no point going to AP3 for you, wait for AP4 which is so much better and coming soon".

You must be new here. ;)

I was enticed to purchase in late 2016 at the height of the autopilot 2.0 "full self driving" promises and faked demo. 2.5 years later I'm still waiting for the enhanced autopilot suite promised in December 2016 to be feature complete, let alone a whiff of full self driving.

The idea that any Tesla will have true L4 autonomy enabled by the end of this year requires a massive suspension of disbelief even by Elon standards. I'm sure we'll see a few incremental "FSD" features that require complete driver supervision just like now, and it's highly likely that they'll work just fine on AP 2.5 - pushing the date for mandatory HW3 upgrades even farther out.
You obviously didn't see my tongue in cheek. Got some work to do on my sarcasm.

My bad. Getting harder by the day to tell who's serious here and who's not! :)
We need a "sarcasm" emoji.
sarcasm.jpg

Did anyone else pickup the fact that Elon said during his part of the demo that he said only cars built after January 2016 would get FSD?
He said it would be too expensive to replace the parts in the car to get FSD.
Actually I think he said more like October 2016 which is when they started building cars with AP2. January 2016 were AP1 and that's what they ate not going to retrofit.