Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New guy-finally pulled the trigger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats
Been through it 2x with 2023s
An amazing experience
Our M3 also has to be realigned
Get any amount of PPF and ceramic on you can afford
Another protection not a lot of people are aware of, advising you should get, front grill mesh

Welcome to Tesla ownership

Btw, a recent treat I just did and getting addicted, monthly subscription to FSD

Reactions: Ed Curry
Very interesting. I took mine in today and the SA said they’ve had several in the last two weeks that needed alignment straight from the factory. 1.5 hours later I left as a happy boy!! They also buffed out a paint blemish on the frunk hood. Very impressed with Tesla Fort Myers. No panel gaps, everything else looks perfect.
There's a whole thread on it with a poll on here somewhere

Very interesting. I took mine in today and the SA said they’ve had several in the last two weeks that needed alignment straight from the factory. 1.5 hours later I left as a happy boy!! They also buffed out a paint blemish on the frunk hood. Very impressed with Tesla Fort Myers. No panel gaps, everything else looks perfect.
Yes that's where we got a new long range model 3 this past spring. Car was immaculate and assembly quality was significantly better than our 2018s. Too bad they don't provide the free unlimited supercharging we got with those cars! I think we'll have those cars forever!

Congrats
Been through it 2x with 2023s
An amazing experience
Our M3 also has to be realigned
Get any amount of PPF and ceramic on you can afford
Another protection not a lot of people are aware of, advising you should get, front grill mesh

Welcome to Tesla ownership

Btw, a recent treat I just did and getting addicted, monthly subscription to FSD
Do you have a link for the front grille mesh?

Ceramic coating is definitely something to look into. The key is, is shop around. The cost of the ceramic material/solution itself is not expensive, it’s the labor. If you know someone ‘on the side’ that can ceramic coat properly, and that is trained, you probably can score a deal where you’re not spending a lot of money. It’s a patience game when ceramic coating, and you don’t need to have a ‘certification’ like some of these guys claim. It’s really about understanding the aptitude of how the application works, and a minimum of 50 hours invested into the process.

But here’s what I tell people, if you don’t do a lot of highway driving, chances are you don’t need ceramic coating. If you’re doing a lot of highway driving, rock chips are inevitable, and absolutely invest into it. Being that Tesla paint is on the softer side, some type of protection is necessary, unless, of course, you just don’t care about maintaining your car.

Ceramic coating is definitely something to look into. The key is, is shop around. The cost of the ceramic material/solution itself is not expensive, it’s the labor. If you know someone ‘on the side’ that can ceramic coat properly, and that is trained, you probably can score a deal where you’re not spending a lot of money. It’s a patience game when ceramic coating, and you don’t need to have a ‘certification’ like some of these guys claim. It’s really about understanding the aptitude of how the application works, and a minimum of 50 hours invested into the process.

But here’s what I tell people, if you don’t do a lot of highway driving, chances are you don’t need ceramic coating. If you’re doing a lot of highway driving, rock chips are inevitable, and absolutely invest into it. Being that Tesla paint is on the softer side, some type of protection is necessary, unless, of course, you just don’t care about maintaining your car.
Yes, already got my red 3 ceramic coated and tinted!

PPF def use a pro
Ceramic inside DIY
Ceramic outside DIY or Pro, my experience no need for a pro
Don’t shoot the messenger

PPF def use a pro
Ceramic inside DIY
Ceramic outside DIY or Pro, my experience no need for a pro
Don’t shoot the messenger
Anyone with modest technical skills and ability and a decent amount of elbow grease can do ceramic coating. As long as you prepare the surface properly the notion that you need a pro for this is absurd. Ppf is definitely a different story. In a few hours and for a few dollars you can get your own ceramic coating and by all means do ceramic coat your windshields because it will make a big difference with visibility especially at night when it's raining. Because of the abrasion experienced by the front windshield from windshield wipers and dust you will have to redo the front windshield probably once every year or so. The rest of the car if it's done properly will last 2 years again unless you're talking about areas experiencing high levels of abrasion from dust and sand.

Anyone with modest technical skills and ability and a decent amount of elbow grease can do ceramic coating. As long as you prepare the surface properly the notion that you need a pro for this is absurd. Ppf is definitely a different story. In a few hours and for a few dollars you can get your own ceramic coating and by all means do ceramic coat your windshields because it will make a big difference with visibility especially at night when it's raining. Because of the abrasion experienced by the front windshield from windshield wipers and dust you will have to redo the front windshield probably once every year or so. The rest of the car if it's done properly will last 2 years again unless you're talking about areas experiencing high levels of abrasion from dust and sand.
My PPF attempt was a disaster
Pro did the entire MYP
I only attempted rhe rear bumper top edge

Advice, beside rhe front and rockers, add rhe rear bumper top edge
1693333676557.png

This is example, 2023 MYP

There are a number
This seems to be one of the leaders
Adams Advanced Graphene Ceramic Coating Kit - 10H Graphene Coating for Car Detailing Professionals | 9+ Years of Protection & Patented UV Glow Technology | Apply After Car Wash & Paint Correction https://a.co/d/gJzgFm0
For my M3, not a long term keeper, I use rhe $30 spray on options
Chemical Guys WAC23016... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PZ92KJ3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

For my MYP keeper, I use rhe above, expensive and might need more than one bottle
Must do over 48 hours inside a garage, boardering non DIY due to the commitment

can you link the product for ceramic coating product for DIY?

I’ve been ceramic coating all my vehicles for the last 10 years. And I am partial to using G-Techniq.

Gtechniq - CSL Crystal Serum Light - Ceramic. Amazon.com

This is a great product. But like any product, you have to have knowledge of how to use the application properly. So definitely watch tutorial videos, do your research and understand that this is a timely process that isn’t something that’s completed quickly.

Anyways, all my vehicles that I’ve sold, look like their show room ready, and that’s without having to use a professional, when I’ve been doing it myself, and for other peoples vehicles.

Last edited:
Note, even the best expensive exterior ceramic can get washed off, avoid:
-Detergent based home car wash soap, use ceramic friendly, like Gtechniq which is very good cleaner
-NO CAR WASHES, ANY TYPE, most important, stay away

Maintenance of ceramic after two days and at least two fully cured coats done in the garage:
-Refresh or bost like XPEL Boost every six months to a year
This should be enough to last a while
Then a strip and re treat in approx 3-4 years if necessary
Keep boosting to avoid a re treat