Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made a headlight extension wire so I don't have to swap before it's fully coded and functional
Screenshot_20220128-121623_Gallery.jpg

I may have missed it but what are you testing with the harness extension?
I'm did the extension so I can test the headlight while configuring. I was not going to swap out my lights before I got them working. This extension allows me to leave my new lights in the frunk while being plugged in. Sorry about that I wasn't clear in my earlier post. I'm trying to find a tech willing to help me out.

Reactions: goRt
Not without a techs help. Or maybe toolbox 3? Does anyone know if we can buy toolbox to get this to work?
Looking at the online videos it's not a feature in the USA, but in Europe we get an extra option not available to you but with no functional description.
I'm waiting for warmer weather to see what's available

Written to the Tesla email provided in the service section asking for details - bounced back not authorised!!!
Fortunately, we have strong consumer protection, so I can buy a subscription and it doesn't do what's required then the CC company will refund.

Last edited:
Looking at the online videos it's not a feature in the USA, but in Europe we get an extra option not available to you but with no functional description.
I'm waiting for warmer weather to see what's available

Written to the Tesla email provided in the service section asking for details - bounced back not authorised!!!
Fortunately, we have strong consumer protection, so I can buy a subscription and it doesn't do what's required then the CC company will refund.
Please keep me updated. I wonder if I can use the EU version of the software. I'm tired of being locked down to Tesla.

Will do, but it won't be soon.

PS, looking at the headlight removal videos - are you sure you can access the connector without having removed the bumper first?
Yes. Just need to remove the frunk tray. I tried yesterday and got the connector out. It's a little tight but doable. I also plugged in the new light and it didn't work just like that. I figured it wouldnt but I felt lucky lol

Any software update will work to synchronize a new/different headlight for the older versions. If you ever have to replace one yourself, just wait until you have a software update pending on the car and wait to install it after you swap out the headlight. It's still unknown whether the newer 2021 versions of the headlights will work for the older cars at all, or if it would require access to Tesla's Toolbox to change software configuration. Most likely they still use the same harness and software.
Has this any software update method been tested. Sorry if this has been answered already.

They will not work by forcing a software update. If the wiring harness is the same, your car needs to be recoded by Tesla. As far as I can see with the Toolbox software, the features available to the public are for diagnosing problems and helping guide repair direction. In the list at the following link, it looks like a lot of connectivity checks and status checks but no actual programming. I could see where Tesla wouldn't want an individual to have access to programming the car. Releasing Toolbox to comply with Right to Repair laws is just that. Right to repair. Replace like with like. Until the cars are so old that the old lights aren't available and new lights would need to be retrofitted, Tesla is under no legal obligation to allow coding of something that is not a repair. If you repair and replace like for like, you don't need any programming.

Is there a better listing of all the features of Toolbox? Then we can see if there is even an option for the different headlight programming?

Regarding EU consumer protection, how does a CC justify stopping payment on something that you are knowingly buying that might not work? For instance, I want to subscribe to this robot AI house cleaning service to see if it works for me. Oh, it doesn't work, it's creepy, give me my money back. I don't think so. Consumer protection is to prevent you from paying for something that is advertised and not delivered. If you aren't sure the software works, ask Tesla. This is not consumer protection you are looking to use.

They will not work by forcing a software update. If the wiring harness is the same, your car needs to be recoded by Tesla. As far as I can see with the Toolbox software, the features available to the public are for diagnosing problems and helping guide repair direction. In the list at the following link, it looks like a lot of connectivity checks and status checks but no actual programming. I could see where Tesla wouldn't want an individual to have access to programming the car. Releasing Toolbox to comply with Right to Repair laws is just that. Right to repair. Replace like with like. Until the cars are so old that the old lights aren't available and new lights would need to be retrofitted, Tesla is under no legal obligation to allow coding of something that is not a repair. If you repair and replace like for like, you don't need any programming.

Is there a better listing of all the features of Toolbox? Then we can see if there is even an option for the different headlight programming?

Regarding EU consumer protection, how does a CC justify stopping payment on something that you are knowingly buying that might not work? For instance, I want to subscribe to this robot AI house cleaning service to see if it works for me. Oh, it doesn't work, it's creepy, give me my money back. I don't think so. Consumer protection is to prevent you from paying for something that is advertised and not delivered. If you aren't sure the software works, ask Tesla. This is not consumer protection you are looking to use.
In terms of UK consumer law:
If the seller provides no detail, if the support email address is invalid, if the landing page for the product has one name and the payment page a totally different page
Then, yes, the CC issuer will refund without issue - we have distance selling regulations which offer strong protection (refund 14 days after delivery including software if you've had to break the shrink wrap to find a deficiency (

If only Tesla was a temporary company it wouldn't make so many mistakes

I checked the config. on my 19' and have an option for "HeadlightLevelerType : None or GEN1" possibly changing this to "GEN1" in toolbox may enable the lamps to work. This can only be done by a Tesla Tech. using toolbox the consumer level toolbox won't allow this change. For reference my HeadlampLevelerType is currently listed as "NONE" on my 19' M3 LR.

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
I checked the config. on my 19' and have an option for "HeadlightLevelerType : None or GEN1" possibly changing this to "GEN1" in toolbox may enable the lamps to work. This can only be done by a Tesla Tech. using toolbox the consumer level toolbox won't allow this change. For reference my HeadlampLevelerType is currently listed as "NONE" on my 19' M3 LR.
How did you check your config? Do you have toolbox3 access?

This may be for something else. Seems it's for self leveling based on height of car (i.e back loaded with passengers and headlights pointing high)

"accessId":92,
"codeKey":"headlightLevelerType",
"content":{
"enums":[
{
"codeKey":"NONE",
"description":"",
"value":0
},
{
"codeKey":"GEN1",
"description":"Automatic headlamp leveling on coil vehicles using additional ride-height sensors",
"value":1

Looking at T-Diag then the setting seems to be LED (yes/no), then LEDs Advanced (yes/no)

(no, I don't have a copy of t-diag)

Reactions: WhiteM3P-