Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be for something else. Seems it's for self leveling based on height of car (i.e back loaded with passengers and headlights pointing high)

"accessId":92,
"codeKey":"headlightLevelerType",
"content":{
"enums":[
{
"codeKey":"NONE",
"description":"",
"value":0
},
{
"codeKey":"GEN1",
"description":"Automatic headlamp leveling on coil vehicles using additional ride-height sensors",
"value":1
Are we sure this isn't the value still? There are only coil spring M3 and may just be using ride height to adjust the auto high beam height when going around curves and such. Idk. Headlamp type only shoes "Base" or "Premium" so thats not it mine is already set to premium.

Toolbox isn't supposed to be service level coding. Otherwise all SR+ M3 owners could enable rear heated seats without paying, amongst other software disabled features. If there is something wrong with your car it will help you figure out what is wrong and how to go about repairing it, even if that means going to Tesla Service to get it repaired. We have seen where Tesla Service will not do this.

The “correct“ firmware for your car will always be for the old lights. It appears it is not configurable unless it is an option that is designed that way from the start (SR heated rear seats). There is no factory upgrade for lights so there is no programmable firmware upgrade based on your VIN. I don’t know if they can push a firmware for another newer vin to your car but that seems like it will open other problems. I think it’s time to acknowledge that Tesla planned for this and doesn’t want you to make changes to the car that they don’t approve of. You want Matrix lights, buy a car that comes with them.

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
The “correct“ firmware for your car will always be for the old lights. It appears it is not configurable unless it is an option that is designed that way from the start (SR heated rear seats). There is no factory upgrade for lights so there is no programmable firmware upgrade based on your VIN. I don’t know if they can push a firmware for another newer vin to your car but that seems like it will open other problems. I think it’s time to acknowledge that Tesla planned for this and doesn’t want you to make changes to the car that they don’t approve of. You want Matrix lights, buy a car that comes with them.
Again your logic remains flawed
The issue is most likely one of ability to configure the gateway:
- Third party software appears to facilitate this- the service personnel that perform fixes to the car are trained to follow service procedures so you get the same result no matter which SC you attend, very few will be employed to identify new problems- when new changes become available ie CCS upgrade in Europe for X/S then initially the upgrade was only performed at SC until all rangers were familiary with the process enough to perform it at customer site
this has been the model for service since the 80s

So because the person who is being asked for a configuration change doesn't know how to do it or doesn't have the tooling does not mean it is not viable
I note that the false "wiring loom" assertion wasn't offered by th SC or promoted by yourself this time.

@WhiteM3P- Thanks for the cool update! Man your service center rocks, whenever I ask my local service center they tell me to kick rocks. Also what year is your Model 3 btw? Did you get your global headlights at service center?

I got them from ebay. I started with a 2020 model 3 performance stealth. But I have gotten all the parts swapped so it's its full performance with performance brakes, pedals, suspension and spoiler. So I know the service and parts guys pretty well by now. I think at this point they just say here comes that guy with more weird requests.

Glad I only spent $330 for the pair. Not sure if I'll sell them or keep them for future retrofit if/when available. I will be going to one of my local shops this weekend. The owner is very knowledgeable and says we may have another way to configure the gateway. Will keep everyone posted. I'll be taking in both my car and my friends 2021 for data comparison.

Again your logic remains flawed
The issue is most likely one of ability to configure the gateway:
- Third party software appears to facilitate this- the service personnel that perform fixes to the car are trained to follow service procedures so you get the same result no matter which SC you attend, very few will be employed to identify new problems- when new changes become available ie CCS upgrade in Europe for X/S then initially the upgrade was only performed at SC until all rangers were familiary with the process enough to perform it at customer site
this has been the model for service since the 80s

So because the person who is being asked for a configuration change doesn't know how to do it or doesn't have the tooling does not mean it is not viable
I note that the false "wiring loom" assertion wasn't offered by th SC or promoted by yourself this time.
Still stuck on the wiring harness suggestion I made? It was not an assertion of fact, ever. It was a suggestion as to why things aren't working when you are 100% certain it is plug and play. There is something that isn't plug and play so forgive me for giving alternate suggestions. If you know what to do, why isn't it working yet? If you all know what to do, why are you asking questions here? If you don't want suggestions, don't ask. Unless you are a Tesla engineer and know for a fact the wiring harness is identical between the LR Y and MYP or the pre-matrix M3 and post, then you cannot say my suggestion is false.

Please show me which 3rd party software allows you to program your car? To replace headlights and have them work properly. To reprogram drive motors to be more powerful. Anything "reprogramming" related. Software allows you to see what is going on with you car or set schedules but all of that is done with the software and not with the actual car. Using the app to open doors and turn on climate is not programming.

Still stuck on the wiring harness suggestion I made? It was not an assertion of fact, ever. It was a suggestion as to why things aren't working when you are 100% certain it is plug and play. There is something that isn't plug and play so forgive me for giving alternate suggestions. If you know what to do, why isn't it working yet? If you all know what to do, why are you asking questions here? If you don't want suggestions, don't ask. Unless you are a Tesla engineer and know for a fact the wiring harness is identical between the LR Y and MYP or the pre-matrix M3 and post, then you cannot say my suggestion is false.

Please show me which 3rd party software allows you to program your car? To replace headlights and have them work properly. To reprogram drive motors to be more powerful. Anything "reprogramming" related. Software allows you to see what is going on with you car or set schedules but all of that is done with the software and not with the actual car. Using the app to open doors and turn on climate is not programming.
T-diag

So no, it doesn't work. Exactly. Yet you still use it to prove other statements wrong. If it hasn't been proven to work, then you can't use it to say it can work. Instead of these silly one word answers, why don't you elaborate? Please show me how you or someone on this board has used T-diag to reprogram their M3/MY to a different configuration than was ordered.

So no, it doesn't work. Exactly. Yet you still use it to prove other statements wrong. If it hasn't been proven to work, then you can't use it to say it can work. Instead of these silly one word answers, why don't you elaborate? Please show me how you or someone on this board has used T-diag to reprogram their M3/MY to a different configuration than was ordered.
No need to do that - I jumped in here when you asserted that the spec you buy is fixed and offered PWS to disproved that.

No need to do that - I jumped in here when you asserted that the spec you buy is fixed and offered PWS to disproved that.
PWS is different. We have established that wiring existed in a small number of cars where they didn't install the speaker. Therefore the car is coded for those parts and that there isn't a speaker. Coding just says speaker is present so everything works. Software is already coded for the system minus the speaker. Again, safety issue. You don't seem to think it is but there is a reason they are now legally required. Yes by law, not some gimmick (even though Tesla makes a gimmick out of it). Tesla has not determined that the LED lights pose a safety hazard or they would be replacing them in the US (all 300,000+ MY that are not MYP and almost 3 years of M3). Just because you can make some not at all related arguement to make it fit your narrative doesn't mean that is how Tesla sees it and how Tesla is implementing it.

There is one fact here that you don't seem to want to accept. It is not possible to put Matrix lights into a car that didn't originally have them and have them work. Period. There is no software workaround or wiring fix that will make them work. Every time I offer a suggestion as to why, you go off in some alternate universe and explain something that worked for that so it means it will work for this. Yet every time it doesn't. Sure, Tesla retrofitted some MCU1 and some PWS but those are not the same as the Matrix lights. Please stop comparing them. There are various other reasons why those were done. None of those reasons is applicable here. If the LED lights didn't meet safety code they wouldn't have been certified and wouldn't have made it on the car. Sure Tesla has upgraded them to Matrix to make better use within regulations, but that doesn't mean they owe it to you to retrofit the new lights in an old car. You want Matrix lights? Buy a new car. That is Tesla's philosophy. You don't think that is fair? Elon doesn't care. Tesla doesn't care. You don't like that philosophy? Sell your Tesla and put your money into another better(?) EV that will allow you to swap out parts to your heart's content.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew and trisk