Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’d need root on the car.

Service centres can only do what the configuration team have provided scripts for them to do, for cars arriving with missing but expected options.

I don’t think service centre techs have the ability to change gateway configuration settings manually, and even if they could alter a setting with Toolbox in situ the mothership would revert the change after a period of time.

Frustratingly it quite possibly is just a single configuration setting - there are a number of them that define the type or region of fitted equipment. With low level access (root) you could probably make this change, but I fear you’ll hit a brick wall with service centres who simply can’t make this change.

Tesla can't even make the auto highbeams work well. I have very low confidence that when they finally enable my matrix LEDs that's it'll be anything but a mess.

Reactions: Durzel
No, neither do I. Or they find in the process of trying to make it work that the current spec matrix headlights aren't good enough.

This is an area where the likes of Mercedes, Audi (particularly them), etc really have a march on Tesla. They have refined this technology well already, whereas headlights (and wipers) seems to be boring tech for Tesla as far as I can tell.

waiting for Tesla Mobil service to replace this. I actually is a bright blue/purplish color projection, I have had people in front of me pull over thinking I am a cop...
20220312_195803.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel
Was able to finally get my matrix headlights on my MYLR thanks to this thread, so thank you guys! They are plug and play as long as you have someone with at least level 3 access to change it. They would just need to change it in the gateway as stated before, and push another update.

The lights are much brighter, but my drivers side headlight is aimed way too high, and I cant adjust it anymore with the "adjust headlights" screen. Tesla mobile guy even said that he can't adjust it anymore and the motor might have busted during shopping. Any other ideas or suggestions before I start cutting into the light?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Was able to finally get my matrix headlights on my MYLR thanks to this thread, so thank you guys! They are plug and play as long as you have someone with at least level 3 access to change it. They would just need to change it in the gateway as stated before, and push another update.

The lights are much brighter, but my drivers side headlight is aimed way too high, and I cant adjust it anymore with the "adjust headlights" screen. Tesla mobile guy even said that he can't adjust it anymore and the motor might have busted during shopping. Any other ideas or suggestions before I start cutting into the light?

Any more info who can do this? I see that your in CA. By any chance Bay Area? Would like to know so I can retrofit

Same exact thing happened to me, I installed the matrix headlights in 2021 SR+ and had Tesla change the gateway value. They charged me $75 for the diagnostic time. The left headlight had a plastic piece rattling loose which must’ve been from the adjustment motor as mine is too low and won’t adjust up. Still within eBay seller’s return window so waiting for a replacement

I assume "Level 3" access is something employees only have?

Reactions: goRt
Any more info who can do this? I see that your in CA. By any chance Bay Area? Would like to know so I can retrofit
I'm in the Bay Area yes, but I had to ask a friend of a friend of a friend to get it done so that took forever. If I had know I could ask Tesla to do it like Nighthawk did, I would've gone that route!

Same exact thing happened to me, I installed the matrix headlights in 2021 SR+ and had Tesla change the gateway value. They charged me $75 for the diagnostic time. The left headlight had a plastic piece rattling loose which must’ve been from the adjustment motor as mine is too low and won’t adjust up. Still within eBay seller’s return window so waiting for a replacement
Thats amazing you were able to ask Tesla directly! Way worth the $75. Did you open a ticket and the Mobile tech was able to do it? Or did you visit the service center?
Hope you're still able get a properly functioning headlight. Mine were modified with leds so I might cut it open through the backside and see if that motor still moves or if any plastic is loose like yours. I had a spare matrix light so I quickly cut it open to see where the motor is and it seems to be where it's circled

I assume "Level 3" access is something employees only have?
According to my buddy, yes. He said only some mobile techs are able to have level 3 access on their "Toolkit", but some Tesla Certified bodyshops have level 3 access as well.

According to my buddy, yes. He said only some mobile techs are able to have level 3 access on their "Toolkit", but some Tesla Certified bodyshops have level 3 access as well.
Interesting. Would you happen to know what else can be done with that level of access? Would it be possible for example to add passenger lumbar, radar, euro / model y taillights (amber turn signals)?

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
Interesting. Would you happen to know what else can be done with that level of access? Would it be possible for example to add passenger lumbar, radar, euro / model y taillights (amber turn signals)?
That's a good question, I'll ask my buddy for you!! I know he mentioned he can only change certain things that won't throw up a red flag, so I'm assuming those might be able to be changed. Of course, the next line down under the headlamps is "supercharging access" he said that's a definite no no to change 😂

Check out Ingenext Bonus module for all these extras

I'm in the Bay Area yes, but I had to ask a friend of a friend of a friend to get it done so that took forever. If I had know I could ask Tesla to do it like Nighthawk did, I would've gone that route!

Thats amazing you were able to ask Tesla directly! Way worth the $75. Did you open a ticket and the Mobile tech was able to do it? Or did you visit the service center?
Hope you're still able get a properly functioning headlight. Mine were modified with leds so I might cut it open through the backside and see if that motor still moves or if any plastic is loose like yours. I had a spare matrix light so I quickly cut it open to see where the motor is and it seems to be where it's circled

I visited the service center with the headlights already installed. Probably the reason they agreed to try in the first place. Only took them a few mins to update the config. Also, I got the replacement headlight this weekend for the driver side headlight that was aimed too low. I plugged in it but it wouldn’t work until I did a software reinstall FYI

I visited the service center with the headlights already installed. Probably the reason they agreed to try in the first place. Only took them a few mins to update the config. Also, I got the replacement headlight this weekend for the driver side headlight that was aimed too low. I plugged in it but it wouldn’t work until I did a software reinstall FYI
The replacement headlight was a matrix headlight? I wonder why it didn't work? By software reinstall, do you mean had to go back to the service center and have them reset the gateway config value? Have you had an OTA software update since the install and they still work?

Also, how did you get them to do it? Did you just start a service request with the app? Did you go into detail about the Config ID and what they needed to do? Did you get push back?

Thanks for figuring this out!!

Yes replacement headlight was matrix. No idea why it required software reinstall since it had the same exact part number. Had to park close enough to Tesla Service Center to activate service mode. Yes persists across software updates, just updated to 2022.12.3.2.
I installed the headlights myself then went to the service center without a ticket. Asked them to troubleshoot why the headlights were not working. Mentioned I ran a Google search and saw it was a known issue and that updating Config ID 28 to value 2 might resolve. They were unsure and quoted me an hr of diagnostic time ($75) to troubleshoot.

Yes replacement headlight was matrix. No idea why it required software reinstall since it had the same exact part number. Had to park close enough to Tesla Service Center to activate service mode. Yes persists across software updates, just updated to 2022.12.3.2.
I installed the headlights myself then went to the service center without a ticket. Asked them to troubleshoot why the headlights were not working. Mentioned I ran a Google search and saw it was a known issue and that updating Config ID 28 to value 2 might resolve. They were unsure and quoted me an hr of diagnostic time ($75) to troubleshoot.
What do you mean by software reinstall? That is something you did yourself by parking near the service center?

Are you now able to level the headlights yourself from the service menu in the center screen? Any other issues with the lights?

This is incredible. Thanks again.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0