Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm honestly getting out of the Tesla as soon as some other automaker makes a comparable electric car. Japanese or German. This lack of control over something I paid for is BS. When I had my (last car) Lexus I did an entire front end swap. Made the harnesses and coded everything to euro specs. Not a single issue. Dealership even helped aquire the parts.
I think you're gonna be waiting a while. The problem is Tesla is LIGHTYEARS ahead of everyone else in pretty much every conceivable area. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Tesla is perfect by ANY stretch of the imagination. It pisses me off that Elon is occupying significant processor cycles with idiotic political and Twitter BS than dealing more with the problems Tesla, or even SpaceX has.

That being said, when I talk to people about BEVs, the first thing I ask them is if they plan on taking trips with it out of the local area. If they say yes, then I say you'd be foolish to get anything other than a Tesla. The non-Tesla charging infrastructure is an absolute joke and will be the one of the main things that restricts the already hugely ambitious predictions that people make for the full-scale implementation of electric vehicles.

The other aspects that Tesla leads in are service and OTA updates. Yes, we all know the problems they have with managing their service centers, spare parts, etc. The issue is that at least they *know* what problems they have for the most part. People have this idea that GM or Ford will have great service out of the gate with their BEVs based on the fact that they already have an established ICE service infrastructure. I think this is wishful thinking at best. BEVs are a completely different animal to troubleshoot and fix and they have minimal experience with the platform compared to Tesla. And I'm not convinced that their parts situation will be all the much better than Teslas, especially if their vehicles are selling well and the company needs to use all the parts to get new sales out the door.

Sooner or later Elon is gonna have it broken off in his backside for the shenanigans they pull with not allowing 3rd party repairs, disavowing warranty claims if someone so much as looks at the car, etc. When that happens, then I foresee that they may start to relax on the seemingly pathological control they have over some aspects of the business. But right now that's WAY down the list of his priorities. He just wants to get as many cars out the door as he possibly can and is hoping everything else works out later. And given the headstart the company has on competitors, he's got the room to maintain that focus for now whether we like it or not.

Any update on the Matrix retrofit front? Willing to pay like many others, but no idea how or where to do it.
Yes, here is an update: its not going to happen. I am willing to pay for a 500 mile Model Y and thats not going to happen either. People are willing to pay for a Cybertruck today and its at least 2 years behind. Tesla does not want to use up service bandwidth to switch out perfectly working headlights that they still install on new cars today. There is already a backlog on service. It's just like hospitals postponing elective surgeries while they are full of patients needing necessary care. There are people with more important problems than someone who wants vanity headlights so they can project TESLA on their garage.

There are people with more important problems than someone who wants vanity headlights so they can project TESLA on their garage.
Yes, but the main underlying issue is that Tesla won't give us service access to the gateway config. This gets in the way of all kinds of future repairs. If we could touch the gateway, we could add things like this, but we could also do things like a HW2.5 to HW3 upgrade ourselves using parts from wrecked cars instead of having to throw away old HW and make new HW just because.

Tesla's own service SW will do this, but not the one you can get from Tesla.

Yes, but the main underlying issue is that Tesla won't give us service access to the gateway config. This gets in the way of all kinds of future repairs. If we could touch the gateway, we could add things like this, but we could also do things like a HW2.5 to HW3 upgrade ourselves using parts from wrecked cars instead of having to throw away old HW and make new HW just because.

Tesla's own service SW will do this, but not the one you can get from Tesla.
And you could also completely brick the car and then expect Tesla to fix it for you.

If you want to turn a Tesla into a tuner car, buy a tuner car because Tesla doesn't want Teslas to become tuner cars.

And you could also completely brick the car and then expect Tesla to fix it for you.

If you want to turn a Tesla into a tuner car, buy a tuner car because Tesla doesn't want Teslas to become tuner cars.
Can you explain how setting the gateway config wrong could prevent you from updating the gateway in the future? Or how it would damage every single module in the car?

What company sells these "tuner" cars you speak of that supposedly allow you to do any mods you want?

Reactions: ph0ton

There is a big difference between a tuner car and wanting to purchase upgraded OEM lights. Also a very big difference from purchasing a car and a pair of headlights. Yes there are people with bigger problems, but that has nothing to do with people wanting to purchase an OEM upgrade.

I am so tired of these tesla wanna-b spokes person.

All manufacturers have revised oem part, hence the same part number with A, B, C etc

We are asking tesla to help/allow an oem,oem,oem part, did I say oem enough? Which we know there's a documented process to install. there's nothing complicating about this, period.

No but its infinitely more possible to source an oddball LED in yellow than source a non standard pixcell matrix in yellow.
Different LEDs need different voltages and currents, and that voltage is highly related to color. How are you going to tweak the circuit to target a different power?
Why not just throw a yellow mechanical filter in the housing in front of the current LEDs? We're already deep in the "completely illegal" range, so go for it.

That's... not how LEDs work
LOL. That is 100% how LED's work. I'm an EE that has designed light systems for vehicles. You seriously think the Vf for all LED's is the same? This flat out violates the physics of how LED's create different colors, and the very physics of light. A photon with different wavelength has different energy.

Only someone that has ever bought "12V LED's" as a whole assembly would think this.

1671740501960.png

1671740802783.png

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteM3P-
LOL. That is 100% how LED's work. I'm an EE that has designed light systems for vehicles. You seriously think the Vf for all LED's is the same? This flat out violates the physics of how LED's create different colors, and the very physics of light. A photon with different wavelength has different energy.

Only someone that has ever bought "12V LED's" as a whole assembly would think this.

View attachment 888019
View attachment 888020
Vf is the voltage drop across the diode. As long as you're above that, the LED will light up. You may need to change the resistor to have an acceptable amount of current flowing through the LED. I've swapped out individual LEDs on several boards for various projects. It's not exactly rocket surgery.

• Funny
Reactions: ph0ton
As long as you're above that, the LED will light up. You may need to change the resistor to have an acceptable amount of current flowing through the LED. I've swapped out individual LEDs on several boards for various projects. It's not exactly rocket surgery.
No, if you are above that, the diode will be beyond it's specs and will eventually damage itself. Because there is not one Vf, there is a curve of Vf to current, and you cannot achieve a voltage without a current. You know, exactly like the graph I gave above, and Ohms law also requires.

But you just acknowledged that different LED's need different voltages, exactly what I said, yet you said that's not how LEDs work.

1W+ LED's don't use resistors to limit current, as this would waste tons of power and create heat. They use buck converters or some other topology using a current feedback loop. This can be implemented in software, so may not involve components that can be replaced. There can also be thermal management functions to maintain luminous flux as temperature changes. A super bright headlight LED is completely different from little individual indicator LEDs.

Do you think the way a 120V LED bulb gets from 120V to 4V is via a resistor?

Again, buy a $5 sheet of yellow film and throw it inside. Way cheaper and more likely to work. Probably even works with the matrix headlights.

Last edited: