Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This isn’t Reddit, take your uneducated negative comments off this platform.
Just because it’s opposing doesn’t make it uneducated. You are installing an executable file ont your car that let someone gain remote access to it. This isn’t a token for data but apparently root level access to make changes to the car software. This is being done by someone who may or may not have the knowledge of years of Tesl training. And are unwilling to publicly state who they are and their training. Id be cautious. Just pointing that out. You can do what you want but jut want the average user reading this to understand exactly what is happening and that everything isn’t all sunshine and rainbows.

It's elevated Toolbox access, isn't it? Tesla charge for it on an hourly, daily and monthly basis - which is why that cost (and some profit presumably) is passed on.

Whilst you could probably mess the car up a bit configuration wise with this access by changing the wrong settings to the wrong values, it's still some distance from installing malware that persists within the car. That sort of thing would be exposed in the various hacker conferences that Tesla participate in.

Just because it’s opposing doesn’t make it uneducated. You are installing an executable file ont your car that let someone gain remote access to it. This isn’t a token for data but apparently root level access to make changes to the car software. This is being done by someone who may or may not have the knowledge of years of Tesl training. And are unwilling to publicly state who they are and their training. Id be cautious. Just pointing that out. You can do what you want but jut want the average user reading this to understand exactly what is happening and that everything isn’t all sunshine and rainbows.
That is not what’s happening. This and many of your other posts show you just don’t have a good understanding of technical items.

The only application that is temporarily installed is on your *computer*. It’s a proxy into Tesla’s server to allow the remote guy to access your car and make a gateway configuration change. This is done by a legit elevated ODIN token which only Tesla can generate. There is no hacking of the car computer going on.

The reason they’re being coy is it is certainly an actual Tesla employee who they are working with

That is not what’s happening. This and many of your other posts show you just don’t have a good understanding of technical items.

The only application that is temporarily installed is on your *computer*. It’s a proxy into Tesla’s server to allow the remote guy to access your car and make a gateway configuration change. This is done by a legit elevated ODIN token which only Tesla can generate. There is no hacking of the car computer going on.

The reason they’re being coy is it is certainly an actual Tesla employee who they are working with
So you're saying there's a Tesla employee that's operating outside company guidelines to allow this?

So you're saying there's a Tesla employee that's operating outside company guidelines to allow this?
I can't definitively say what's within company guidelines, but it is almost certainly a Tesla employee (or multiple) who's helping. It appeared the tools are intended to allow a higher level support or engineer to assist a service center or mobile tech with stuff that can't be done by standard employees. Alternatively if they give higher level access to certain contractors, that's a possibility, but I'm not aware of Tesla having any such programs.

I would venture to guess it's not a US employee. But who knows.

I can't definitively say what's within company guidelines, but it is almost certainly a Tesla employee (or multiple) who's helping. It appeared the tools are intended to allow a higher level support or engineer to assist a service center or mobile tech with stuff that can't be done by standard employees. Alternatively if they give higher level access to certain contractors, that's a possibility, but I'm not aware of Tesla having any such programs.

Yea, that doesn't make me feel any better about it.

Yea, that doesn't make me feel any better about it.
I mean that’s certainly upto you. But as it stands the only way to make these changes are to root the car (which is not trivial on anything newer than an MCU1 S), use the help of someone who has the requisite permissions, or buy a car that has everything you want (and in some cases the precise combos just don’t exist in the factory… I for example have a Ryzen model 3 with global tail lamps, passenger lumbar, rear fog lamps, and ultrasonics). If Tesla some day allows us to make gateway changes ourselves (even if it requires a toolbox subscription), that’d be nice, but I won’t hold my breath.

Reactions: Durzel

Ok, so it’s still outside the guidelines but as long as it’s not “hacking” it’s ok? Jeez…. One could argue that using an inside source is still ”hacking”. Just because it’s not brute force or something like that doesn’t mean you aren’t circumventing the processes in place to keep your car from being messed up. Please don’t take the word “hack” to be literal whenit comes to presenting this information so everyone understands what is going on. The exchange above proves that you are being coy with the information for those who new to this. I am trying to frame it so people get a general understanding of what is going on so they know right away if they are comfortable with paying for this “service”. Hack may not be the exact technical term but it gets the point across that this isn’t kosher in teslas eyes.

I mean anyone with two brain cells knows it’s not something sanctioned by Tesla since they refuse to actually make any changes for you. Doesn’t mean there’s any 3rd party programs or the such executing on the car’s computer like you insinuated.

To be clear, there is no security risk to your car itself. You’re not opening up access that would allow malicious parties to cause harm. At the most there would be a security risk to your computer/laptop from the proxy app that is run, though that doesn’t actually stay on the computer. If you’re super concerned you can always use a computer without any sensitive data and isolate it from your home network (using a cellphone hotspot or whatever).

I am interested in doing this retrofit, but is the best way to test it out is hook up the matrix headlights to the vehicle wiring harness (hardware is plug n play) and see if they work after paying this company?

I saw the Tesla service manual to install headlamps on MYLR, and it’s a lot of work. Have to take out the frunk, drop the front bumper AND front under body panel to replace headlamps.

I am interested in doing this retrofit, but is the best way to test it out is hook up the matrix headlights to the vehicle wiring harness (hardware is plug n play) and see if they work after paying this company?

I saw the Tesla service manual to install headlamps on MYLR, and it’s a lot of work. Have to take out the frunk, drop the front bumper AND front under body panel to replace headlamps.
as far as installing the headlights its super easy. i did like 5x's and can do it in under 30 min. Once you know what to do its fine. I'm just worried about it failing after software updates, etc.

as far as installing the headlights its super easy. i did like 5x's and can do it in under 30 min. Once you know what to do its fine. I'm just worried about it failing after software updates, etc.
Correct, a lot of people are rightfully so concerned, but software updates aren’t changing hardware configurations. That would screw up so many of their fleet world wide.

Reactions: everydaychris
Correct, a lot of people are rightfully so concerned, but software updates aren’t changing hardware configurations. That would screw up so many of their fleet world wide.
But worldwide, hardware configurations don’t change between software updates so there is nothing to fail. Here, hardware is changed and if it doesn’t match what Tesla expects, it could be undone after each update requiring you to pay to reactivate after each update or skip updates to not have to pay. Not having done this, I don’t know how it will react nor will I take the chance. My “regular” lights are great.

But worldwide, hardware configurations don’t change between software updates so there is nothing to fail. Here, hardware is changed and if it doesn’t match what Tesla expects, it could be undone after each update requiring you to pay to reactivate after each update or skip updates to not have to pay. Not having done this, I don’t know how it will react nor will I take the chance. My “regular” lights are great.
thats what happened to the alpharex headlights I got. not compatible with latest update so its bricked until they release an update

And here you are again spreading your incorrect information based on a lack of understanding
It's been demonstrated that the matrix headlights can be installed and made to work with a configuration change ON THE CAR, when a software update is available the car pulls the modules applicable for the car based on its configuration Tesla does not push what it thinks the cars configuration is.

thats what happened to the alpharex headlights I got. not compatible with latest update so its bricked until they release an update
Sorry, you're referring to 3rd party parts on a different manufacturer - the 3rd party parts needed an update to support a software update on the car, totally different to the scenario being discussed here with newer Tesla parts being swapped and the configuration gateway being changed to accommodate.

I was able to convert my Austin-built 2023 Model Y Long Range that came with reflector headlights to Matrix LED with all functions working. It took about an hour to remove the frunk liner and front bumper and swap the headlights, then about 40 mins to put it all back together. Really not that difficult. I was left with headlights that were on all the time (if the car was on), but I had no control to turn them off, go to parking lights only, etc., and NO turn signal function. I tried the service menu reset--I did the software update and a reboot and after that I had zero headlight or turn function. The other thing that worked was a very dimly lit DRL.

I did a deep-dive on how to get them working, which led me to this thread as well as others where people have not had good luck getting the headlight firmware updated to have the Matrix work like the car came with them. I had an independent shop successfully change the configuration. All functions work as they should, and even the car's visualization is now updated with the new headlights.

Old reflector headlights:
53369515354_aa186f21ac.jpg

New:
53369203391_3ec438813c.jpg

Dissassemble:
53369515609_50e30446b1.jpg

All coded:
53368302137_68d4e05062.jpg

Updated in-car visualization:
53369398623_a9c1db0a3f.jpg

-Ken