Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wish there was an easy way to search within this thread - but Im interested in this retrofit on my May 2018 model 3. I briefly saw I would likely need a wiring harness (edit: maybe not?) as well as the headlights and special ethernet cable? Then do a day subscription to the toolbox to get it working?

wish there was an easy way to search within this thread
There is, just set the search within criteria to "This thread":

1713287768870.png

Note: By default it starts as "Everywhere".

Anyone here ACTUALLY made this change DIY with a subscription? I try to but is getting an "unauthorized configuration change" error.

I don't think you can do it that way, I think you have to use the command line option. See this post for how it is done for the Model 3:

According to VeryGreen, it seems that way, you just need the proper cables and a Toolbox subscription:

He even gives the command you need:

Green’s twitter post is pretty much what you need to know. Send a reboot-gateway command after and reinstall the cars firmware.
Like this?

1. log into toolbox
2. click Service Shell from left pane
3. enter command gw-diag SET_CONFIG_DATA 00 28 2
4. enter command reboot-gateway
5. from vehicle, enter service mode and press Reinstall Firmware button

Like this?

1. log into toolbox
2. click Service Shell from left pane
3. enter command gw-diag SET_CONFIG_DATA 00 28 2
4. enter command reboot-gateway
5. from vehicle, enter service mode and press Reinstall Firmware button
Yep. Other options are similar. Most don’t require software reinstall, but headlights do.

You need the toolbox proxy application for service shell to work. There is a link to that within toolbox

• Helpful
Reactions: Adam3
Pretty sure that part only applies to tegra cars (ie mcu1 pre refresh), but I don’t know if there’s a similar routine for Intel and Ryzen cars.
Any chance you would know if this media converter would work?

Any chance you would know if this media converter would work?

It does, but you need a matenet to h-mtd cable and an ixindustrial to rj45 Ethernet cable.

I actually have one with the appropriate cables that I’ve been meaning to sell or rent out.

Reactions: erik.gnzo