Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights vs free 1yr supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the difference between the old and new headlights? Are they adaptive? I actually like the old ones better. Ha ha. Do they light up better too? Just curious. I haven't been assigned a VIN, so hopefully the new ones, just for resale purposes.

By the way, do you get 1 year of supercharging, and 1 year of premium connectivity? No word on the latter. I ordered DEC 14, so should get 1 year supercharging for sure. My delivery date changed from Dec 25-31 to Dec 30-31, but no VIN yet. But not complaining, since some folks have been waiting for over 2 months. I'll just wait 2 weeks from ordering :).

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
The old lights actually look better IMO. The video comparing both, they look to have about the same output, but a different pattern. The low-beam pattern looks better on the new ones, but the high beam worse. So overall I probably prefer the old ones. I just got a VIN (Sunday at 8pm), and it's 86029x, so most likely the old ones. And I'd be okay with that. BUT, they want me to put my bank account, keep it, and Tesla would be authorized to make future charges. No way in hell I'd agree to that. Just emailed my SA. Might not get the Tesla for my wife yet again. Ha ha. But it'd be Tesla's fault for being that freaking arrogant. Any other dealer would kill for a BofA cashier's check cash sale now (or ACH, or W/T). Never in my life I have paid MSRP for a vehicle before, never in my life pay in advance without being able to inspect the car, and never in my life demand your bank info to make the deal, keep it, and be authorized to make other charges. I had enough with the first 2. The 3rd is an absolute deal-breaker. We'll see what happens.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
What's the difference between the old and new headlights? Are they adaptive? I actually like the old ones better. Ha ha. Do they light up better too? Just curious. I haven't been assigned a VIN, so hopefully the new ones, just for resale purposes.

By the way, do you get 1 year of supercharging, and 1 year of premium connectivity? No word on the latter. I ordered DEC 14, so should get 1 year supercharging for sure. My delivery date changed from Dec 25-31 to Dec 30-31, but no VIN yet. But not complaining, since some folks have been waiting for over 2 months. I'll just wait 2 weeks from ordering :).

Yes. You get one year of premium connectivity as well, which comes with your car. The free supercharging is just to sweeten the pot to get people to buy now.

The old lights actually look better IMO. The video comparing both, they look to have about the same output, but a different pattern. The low-beam pattern looks better on the new ones, but the high beam worse. So overall I probably prefer the old ones. I just got a VIN (Sunday at 8pm), and it's 86029x, so most likely the old ones. And I'd be okay with that. BUT, they want me to put my bank account, keep it, and Tesla would be authorized to make future charges. No way in hell I'd agree to that. Just emailed my SA. Might not get the Tesla for my wife yet again. Ha ha. But it'd be Tesla's fault for being that freaking arrogant. Any other dealer would kill for a BofA cashier's check cash sale now (or ACH, or W/T). Never in my life I have paid MSRP for a vehicle before, never in my life pay in advance without being able to inspect the car, and never in my life demand your bank info to make the deal, keep it, and be authorized to make other charges. I had enough with the first 2. The 3rd is an absolute deal-breaker. We'll see what happens.
I understand your concerns and had them too. But Tesla is not a dealership and does everything differently so that is their gig. I got over it three years ago and haven't looked back. Ask your SA for options - I find they are accommodating but present the most automated solution first.

I find they are accommodating but present the most automated solution first.
Hope so. And thank you for your help. I'm not paranoid, and a very reasonable person, but I don't give my bank account to anybody, let alone leaving it on file, AND having to authorize future charges. They already have my freaking c/c open (with $30K limit), so why my bank account too? No way. At least I have protections with the c/c. For their bank info protection too, hope they agree to a cashier's check, which would be my preferred option, to check out the car first. If they want to hold the car for the check to clear, even though it's guaranteed funds from BofA, I wouldn't have a problem with that. The ball is in their court.

Reactions: Raechris
If youre in NA and want to be sure your model 3 will come with every new item (headlights, 82kwh battery, etc), take delivery middle or later Q1

If those items don’t concern you and you want a free year of supercharging, take delivery before end of 2020

Hello - a newbie. About to order a model 3 performance in the UK. Keen to get the new headlights! Is there any way of looking at the inventory models and seeing which have got new headlights? Many thanks.

People commenting about preferring the old headlights don't understand the benefits of Matrix LED headlamps. Its not just about light output and beam pattern. That one YouTube comparison video going around doesn't tell the whole story.

People commenting about preferring the old headlights don't understand the benefits of Matrix LED headlamps. Its not just about light output and beam pattern. That one YouTube comparison video going around doesn't tell the whole story.
this......^. but I haven't seen anything that stated the new the headlights are matrix LEDs. where did you see the info?

this......^. but I haven't seen anything that stated the new the headlights are matrix LEDs. where did you see the info?

Fair point, I thought it was in Electrek's story, but I just re-read it again and it does not say "matrix LED" specifically, but it does say this:

"It not only shows that the new headlights have a completely different pattern, but also that they can focus the beam a lot more precisely, which could potentially open up new features in future software updates."

Which makes one think the headlamps are matrix LED's or similar to matrix LED's.

Tesla is upgrading Model 3 and Model Y headlights - Electrek

Reactions: Tholland
Fair point, I thought it was in Electrek's story, but I just re-read it again and it does not say "matrix LED" specifically, but it does say this:

"It not only shows that the new headlights have a completely different pattern, but also that they can focus the beam a lot more precisely, which could potentially open up new features in future software updates."

Which makes one think the headlamps are matrix LED's or similar to matrix LED's.

Tesla is upgrading Model 3 and Model Y headlights - Electrek

Don’t get too excited... There’s a good chance they’ll be crippled when installed in the US until regulators okay the new behavior.

Why Is America Stuck with Bad Headlights?