Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New here. Can a 2016 Model 2 90D be upgraded to a P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solution
My gut says it would be way cheaper and easier to sell your 90D and roll the equity into a P90D.

Using autotrader.com as a proxy, 2016 90D vehicles around Nashville seem to be asking around $25k. P90D in the same area are asking around $30k. So your price differential to "upgrade" is $5k (assuming you could sell private party for $25k).
I'm new here, so be gentle. Can a 2016 Model 2 90D be upgraded to a P90D?
Possible but unlikely you would find a Tesla employee willing to change your Performance flag in the gateway to 2 and the Brake flag from Mando to Brembo. The email address of the employee who adjusts the gateway will be permanently associated with that change in the vehicle logs which is a risk that few would be willing to take.

Other than that you would need to swap your rear motor and brake set-up. The easiest way to do this would be to utilize a complete salvage rear subframe assembly from a P85, P85D, P90D or P100D.

Reactions: ucmndd
Upvote 0
My gut says it would be way cheaper and easier to sell your 90D and roll the equity into a P90D.

Using autotrader.com as a proxy, 2016 90D vehicles around Nashville seem to be asking around $25k. P90D in the same area are asking around $30k. So your price differential to "upgrade" is $5k (assuming you could sell private party for $25k).

Upvote 0
Solution
Also I understand there are issues with the larger rear motor where coolant leaks past seals and ultimately destroys the motor. I don't know if I'm remembering the issue correctly or not, or if later versions of the motor (that can be installed in the 90D) address the problem.

As others have said -- the shortest path to P90D from 90D is "sell car / buy car" not "modify car"

Upvote 0
Sure, it's possible. But as has been already noted it's not just a configuration change - there is physically different hardware (most notably rear drive unit).
and possibly HV pack or at least HV fuse...

There's hackers out there that can change gateway config for u but u still need the hardware so like others said not worth the hassle esp if its AP1 car...

Upvote 0