Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Holding Co - X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's going quite well. Tesla Energy can now focus on the mission of speeding our transition to a sustainable renewable energy system under the massive Tesla umbrella, whereas in the past SolarCity was out on an island fighting all the battles for the whole marketplace.

Brutally eliminating the 1-to-1 (usually door-to-door) sales process was the absolute correct move just after acquisition. They're currently setting the bar for low-cost, high quality residential installs at $2.01/Watt forcing the entire market to adapt. At these price points, no installer can afford to pay their sales team the traditional $.75/Watt they demand. The only reasons people aren't buying Tesla Solar hand over fist today is that without sales.....no one knows about it or understands the value. Resisting the impulse to reinstate a traditional sales process is the big indicator to me they're on the right path and determined to do this the right way.

That and the lack of service and communication are the only problems left. Each are easily overcome relative to fighting Warren Buffett and every state government for simple market access.

Should be fairly easy for Tesla to bridge all these gaps in 2021 IF they choose to. I think Elon equates "service" with "sales" since they were handled by the same group in the past, but he'll get past that eventually. Clear and consistent communication with customers about where they stand in the install process will be a huge help and is easy enough to build out internally.

As to how homeowners make the leap from enthusiastic interest to solar buyer more efficiently.....it's being worked on.

Appreciate that. So you feel the future of solar is on rooftops vs. “farms”/large installations? NC has been a leader in large-scale installations (whatever the right unit is) no doubt due to a preference by the influential Duke Power. It also seems possible as a naive person that the numbers could support larger scale installations vs. rooftop. Is part of the issue inefficiency of transmission which rooftop doesn’t have to deal with?

If it happens then really hats off to @DaveT. When he first started talking about the Tesla bot I thought it was a silly idea, same with X.com. Maybe he is a lot better at the guessing game than I am and he deserves props for sharing his guesses/suggestions so publicly. And he got the interview with Elon unpaywalled and helped that Afghan to escape. Clearly he deserve a lot of cred! <3

If it happens then really hats off to @DaveT. When he first started talking about the Tesla bot I thought it was a silly idea, same with X.com. Maybe he is a lot better at the guessing game than I am and he deserves props for sharing his guesses/suggestions so publicly. And he got the interview with Elon unpaywalled and helped that Afghan to escape. Clearly he deserve a lot of cred! <3

By what mechanism do you propose the X.com (which would have at maximum 170M shares of TSLA) would 'hold' Tesla (which has over 1.0B shares outstanding)?

By what mechanism do you propose the X.com (which would have at maximum 170M shares of TSLA) would 'hold' Tesla (which has over 1.0B shares outstanding)?
Forgive my ignorance, but why would X.com have at maximum 170M shares of TSLA?

Couldn't TSLA, SpaceX etc get absorbed by X completely and each current TSLA share is converted to 0.3 X shares for example? And each SpaceX share 0.5, etc.

(After voting and the like, of course).

Disclaimer: I have very limited knowledge of holdings/company law etc.

Forgive my ignorance, but why would X.com have at maximum 170M shares of TSLA?

Couldn't TSLA, SpaceX etc get absorbed by X completely and each current TSLA share is converted to 0.3 X shares for example? And each SpaceX share 0.5, etc.

(After voting and the like, of course).

Disclaimer: I have very limited knowledge of holdings/company law etc.

Mergers and aquisitions of publicly traded companies are heavily regulated. The SEC would be all over this hard, as would ever single lawyer that shortzes could hire.

It's a nice fantasy, but it's never going to happen. Elon himself answered this question years ago when he said "that time is past."

• Helpful
Reactions: jeewee3000
Mergers and aquisitions of publicly traded companies are heavily regulated. The SEC would be all over this hard, as would ever single lawyer that shortzes could hire.

It's a nice fantasy, but it's never going to happen. Elon himself answered this question years ago when he said "that time is past."
what if X company was not headquartered anywhere the SEC has jurisdiction?
Elon did say that humans will most likely be on Mars in more than 5 years and less than 10.

Look for instance how many companies HQ in Delaware, or ?Wyoming?

Heck, could they HQ on Luna?

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger

@Artful Dodger
mildly serious
guy i went to high school 50+ years ago does space law last 40 years

what if X company was not headquartered anywhere the SEC has jurisdiction?
Elon did say that humans will most likely be on Mars in more than 5 years and less than 10.

Look for instance how many companies HQ in Delaware, or ?Wyoming?

Heck, could they HQ on Luna?

That let's out SpaceX: (read about ITAR)

Look, this is silly. Elon is idealistic, and will build his 4 square mile campus in Texas. It will include Tesla, and likely operation from his other interestes like SpaceX (ie: Starlink terminal manufacturing), the Boring Company (will likely provide an underground transport network across the campus, to Austin Internaltional Arpt, and eventually for commuters).

I think there'll also be an Post-secondary educational Institution created on the grounds. It's one of Elon's personal goals, as he see the fundamental problem of burdening new graduates with crippling student loan debt.

But, at the end of the day, Elon spends his time do engineering, not M&A lawyering. Back iin Aug 2018, he wanted to give existing retail TSLA investors the opportunity to continue as owners of the company's equity. It took a couple weeks of discussions with M&A lawyers for Elon to understand the U.S. regulations are structured to PREVENT that from happening (read about SEC "Accredited Investor" requirements and qualifications).

So Elon can "dream big", but he's not going to get around ITAR and the SEC. It's even a problem right now getting around the FAA/EPA to get a bloody environmental review (or eine wasser permit)

X.com can hodl Elon's shares, but it's not going to be what people imagine. Like the folks that keep expecting rocket roadsters to magically fly up on stage at EVERY SINGLE Tesla demo over the past 3 years. :p

Plus, SpaceX is doing fine right now:

Cheers!

Last edited:
With the first caveat that I am an engineer, not a lawyer, I think there is a pathway to achieve some progress towards a X-Holding company.

The second caveat is that there are (e.g) ITAR-related restrictions on non-US nationals having shares in SpaceX because it is dual-use controlled technology, but I am unsure to what extent this is a real issue. Given that (e.g.) Lockheed, Boeing, UTC etc are publicly traded corps I don't think that is an absolute restriction. Instead I think it is that US majority control must be assured and that certain key positions must be filled by US nationals. So I think this can be managed.

The third caveat is that SpaceX is not a publicly listed company. (Is that the same for Neuralink and Boring ?). But bear with me as that really is a price determination issue and I think a way can be found.

So .........
1) Set up a company, let's call it X-Holding-Corp, and give it authority to list publicly and to issue shares.
2) Determine (i.e. hardwire into its Mem & Arts) that for each share it sells it will in turn buy one share of each of the following : Tesla, SpaceX, Neuralink, Boring.
3) Then, pre-IPO (or SPAC-route), X-Holding enters into an agreement with SpaceX, Neuralink, and Boring that they will issue shares to Holding at a defined price (i.e. one agreed to by the existing shareholders of these corps, just as if it were a new rights issue). Note that these would be for a common defined number of shares - say 100-million for starters.
4) Then carry out the first public offering for the 100m and the listing price will be the trading price of TSLA+the-agreed-prices for the other three.
5) Then after listing monitor the share price of X-Hold and if it trades higher than TSLA+ then there is appetite for more. At that stage either carry out new common issuings, or allow existing private holders (primarily Space-X) to swap across.

In a way this is no different than creating an ETF that has a defined and very restricted mandate - namely to only invest in Musk companies and with the ultimate goal of the ETF owning 100% of all of them. It must be possible because Barrons have an ETF(s) which mixes public & private holdings in TSLA and SpaceX in such a manner (BPTRX, etc).

Provided that the minority pure-play holders are not disadvantaged then it ought to be possible. The real advantage is that it gives SpaceX access to cashflow from Tesla earlier without going through the taxation implicit in issuing dividends and recycling those dividends in Musk's personal tax affairs. (Or capital gains if he goes down the sell TSLA, re-invest into SpaceX route).

So, I think it is possible. However, I do consider this to be unlikely.

With the first caveat that I am an engineer, not a lawyer, I think there is a pathway to achieve some progress towards a X-Holding company.

The second caveat is that there are (e.g) ITAR-related restrictions on non-US nationals having shares in SpaceX because it is dual-use controlled technology, but I am unsure to what extent this is a real issue. Given that (e.g.) Lockheed, Boeing, UTC etc are publicly traded corps I don't think that is an absolute restriction. Instead I think it is that US majority control must be assured and that certain key positions must be filled by US nationals. So I think this can be managed.

The third caveat is that SpaceX is not a publicly listed company. (Is that the same for Neuralink and Boring ?). But bear with me as that really is a price determination issue and I think a way can be found.

So .........
1) Set up a company, let's call it X-Holding-Corp, and give it authority to list publicly and to issue shares.
2) Determine (i.e. hardwire into its Mem & Arts) that for each share it sells it will in turn buy one share of each of the following : Tesla, SpaceX, Neuralink, Boring.
3) Then, pre-IPO (or SPAC-route), X-Holding enters into an agreement with SpaceX, Neuralink, and Boring that they will issue shares to Holding at a defined price (i.e. one agreed to by the existing shareholders of these corps, just as if it were a new rights issue). Note that these would be for a common defined number of shares - say 100-million for starters.
4) Then carry out the first public offering for the 100m and the listing price will be the trading price of TSLA+the-agreed-prices for the other three.
5) Then after listing monitor the share price of X-Hold and if it trades higher than TSLA+ then there is appetite for more. At that stage either carry out new common issuings, or allow existing private holders (primarily Space-X) to swap across.

In a way this is no different than creating an ETF that has a defined and very restricted mandate - namely to only invest in Musk companies and with the ultimate goal of the ETF owning 100% of all of them. It must be possible because Barrons have an ETF(s) which mixes public & private holdings in TSLA and SpaceX in such a manner (BPTRX, etc).

Provided that the minority pure-play holders are not disadvantaged then it ought to be possible. The real advantage is that it gives SpaceX access to cashflow from Tesla earlier without going through the taxation implicit in issuing dividends and recycling those dividends in Musk's personal tax affairs. (Or capital gains if he goes down the sell TSLA, re-invest into SpaceX route).

So, I think it is possible. However, I do consider this to be unlikely.

Why? Specifically, how does this further the mission of accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy? Elon's ambitions in space are separate.

Why? Specifically, how does this further the mission of accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy? Elon's ambitions in space are separate.
The mission of the HoldingCo can be the superset of the missions of the individual companies.

If a person only wanted to invest in a specific mission, then they should only invest directly in that Co. If they wanted to invest in the superset of missions then they could invest in the holding Co.

My personal opinion is that this would not be asked for if SpaceX were to list itself. However, in the absence of that, folk are asking - and I think it could be achieved. Whether it is a good thing is another question. I tend to think the complexity outweighs the benefit. But could it be achieved, I think yes.

(Personally I am simply unable to invest in SpaceX in any meaninful way at all as I am not US-resident nor a US-national. Thus even the BPTRX pathways are blocked to me (5% exposure). I think the only way I can get any exposure is via Google/Aphabet which would be a 0.00000x% exposure and so not meaningful)

SpaceX has obtained a total of $1.85B in new funding throughout 2021:

None of these ways of forming 'x' make any sense. Tesla is a 1 trillion dollar company. Another company with little value can't suddenly do paperwork tricks and 'hold' it. Tesla could absorb the OTHER companies and we could make X that way. Boring could probably be merged in with the flick of a pen. SpaceX would be harder as it has many holders. But the only way is Tesla acquiring and changing name to X and making Tesla brand a sub company.