Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New (hw4) Y vs used 2020 or 21 Y Pros and Cons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cdub

OG 2011 Leaf / 2023 Model Y LR
Oct 7, 2014
Glendale, CA
I'm still debating getting a new Y vs a used. I was waiting to buy until highland was released so I'd see what they're going to do with front bumper camera but of course that answer is still unclear.

New Y (hw4)​

Pros​

• New car
  • Hw4 cameras (but no bumper camera yet?)
  • Better fit and finish?

Cons​

• No USS

Used 2020/21 Y​

Pros​

• USS
  • More affordable by around ~10k
  • Less FOMO if I buy a new Y and front bumper camera comes out
  • Might be able to get FSD affordably

Cons​

• Used
  • Price savings of used almost nulled with fed and CA rebate
I'm leaning towards new but may wait until January 2024 so rebate comes off at point of sale.

Thoughts?

I'm leaning towards new but may wait until January 2024 so rebate comes off at point of sale.
There's no guarantee that the Y will be eligible for the full $7,500 federal credit next year. Also, if you have FSD on your current car, you can transfer it to a new Y if you can take delivery by Sept 30.

In my opinion, the lack of USS is the only con, but I don't think that outweighs all the pros.

Reactions: BitJam and cdub
The "horror" stories of no USS are having me lean towards used. But I go back and forth.

Just keep in mind that USS is not radar. It's ultrasonic which has a very limited distance of use(maybe 10 meters). If you do alot of parallel parking, it's nice. Or if you have a very tight garage. Other than that, I don't see a major need for them, they would just be nice to have.

Reactions: cdub
I have 2021 MY and there is nothing on 2023 that interests me except for softer suspension.
I will stick with 2021 till Tesla does more changes to MY.
If buying used I would pick early 2021 and skip 2020. No offense to 2020 owners but 2021 had some decent improvements over 2020.
Also if you buy used spend $2k on Acceleration Boost!

Reactions: morbidz and cdub
MY 2023 MYP gives me distances in inches to things in front (and back) when I park, and it shows STOP when I'm really close. I don't know how it judges it, but ignore those distances and warnings at your peril because you'll hit something like the curb I hit yesterday.

• Informative
The better noise reduction?
New center console, double-pane windows, wireless charging, new window switches, new steering wheel scroll wheels, and the new heated seats and heated steering wheel.
Also 2021 model all USB ports are data USB ports in new models only glove box is the data port. But there are some aftermarket options to convert.

New center console, double-pane windows, wireless charging, new window switches, new steering wheel scroll wheels, and the new heated seats and heated steering wheel.
Also 2021 model all USB ports are data USB ports in new models only glove box is the data port. But there are some aftermarket options to convert.
Interesting. Thank you. Removal of USS happened in 2022?

Is finding a used one with FSD worth it? I kinda want to play around with it

Interesting. Thank you. Removal of USS happened in 2022?

Is finding a used one with FSD worth it? I kinda want to play around with it
I believe chip shortage started around August on 2021 that's where Tesla started to remove stuff, like lumber support for Passenger seat, USB ports, and finally it went for USS removal but that was later in 2022, not sure what month.
If you can get Model Y with FSD at reasonable price get it. It was $10k option in 2021.
I am not sure if you will be able to transfer it if you decide to upgrade to say 2024. Mask was running special where he allowed people to transfer FSD if they upgrade to new model.
If you just want to play with FSD get it as subscription for $200 a month. To me that is cheaper then paying $15k. Payback is almost 6 years vs $200 a month payment.
I personally do not see myself using FSD to justify even $10k, but I would play with it for $200 and connect it when I need it on road trips.
The roads around me are pretty bad and FSD will ruin my wheels 100% on curbs and potholes.

If used, 2021 over 2020. New HEPA filters w/Bioweapon defense mode started July 2021. I rejected an early-June 2021 build due to lack of HEPA filter and other cosmetic defects at delivery and was offered a July 2021 build a few weeks later. I really like USS on our Y but it is mostly handy for parking in the garage. You can live without it but I'm glad ours has it because the wife is not so good with judging clearance of nearby objects.

Last edited:
I'm still debating getting a new Y vs a used. I was waiting to buy until highland was released so I'd see what they're going to do with front bumper camera but of course that answer is still unclear.

New Y (hw4)​

Pros​

• New car
  • Hw4 cameras (but no bumper camera yet?)
  • Better fit and finish?

Cons​

• No USS

Used 2020/21 Y​

Pros​

• USS
  • More affordable by around ~10k
  • Less FOMO if I buy a new Y and front bumper camera comes out
  • Might be able to get FSD affordably

Cons​

• Used
  • Price savings of used almost nulled with fed and CA rebate

Thoughts?
The newer Ys come with bioweapon defense mode which is still not available as a retrofit. I think this was added around July 2021 so you could get a used 2021 that has it. Newer Ys also have a Ryzen processor for infotainment. You get a more responsive screen in exchange for slightly less range.

I have a 2021 with USS but for me they are no great shakes. Some people really need then and rely on them. I don't.

As others have said, I would buy new before January. It's a gamble. Buying before January a year ago was a major failure with plenty of irate people posting here.