Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Li-Ion Batteries Charge 70 Percent in 2 Minutes, Last for 20 Years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you imagine the sort of raw power that would take? A 70% charge on 85 kWh is 60 kWh - and 1800 kW, which with the Tesla's 400V battery would be ~4500 Amps. I guess if they make it work in the wild, cars would have to go to much higher voltages to make the cabling at all practical.
Walter

There's no major technical hurdle. You could use the same cable currently bring used, but go to 4160V. Internally, you'd need to have a completely different arrangement for the supercharging circuitry. That said, playing with 4160 in a consumer product just doesn't seem like a great idea. :scared:

Last edited:
There is a significant number of potential breakthroughs in battery technology with different nanomaterials and nanocomposites. The challenge is in separating the feasible batteries from the promising ones and the best batteries from the feasible ones.

(LMB spouse)

@Cosmacelf - been reading Freefall since it started: slowest timeline of any comic ever.

Since it started? Wow, that's ... a long time. It's by far my favorite comic, even eclipses mainstreams ones like Calvin and Hobbes. But then, I'm very interested in the subject matter (AI, robots, sci-fi, wolves, inter species romance, and the off beat humor). WOULD LOVE to help the author package up the strip into books, but he doesn't seem at all interested.

I guess you read the novella "The waiting is the hardest part" starring another Bowman's Wolf?

There's no major technical hurdle. You could use the same cable currently bring used, but go to 4160V. Internally, you'd need to have a completely different arrangement for the supercharging circuitry. That said, playing with 4160 in a consumer product just doesn't seem like a great idea. :scared:

It's also considerably more expensive to build motors and inverters that can operate on such high voltages.
The sweet spot for EVs is in the 300~600VDC range.

I think that's more or less my point. However, the higher the voltage you work with, the better insulation you need - either newer high tech coatings or thicker coatings/larger gaps. I don't think we are quite ready for 4,000 V electric motors just yet. :)
Walter

I think that's more or less my point. However, the higher the voltage you work with, the better insulation you need - either newer high tech coatings or thicker coatings/larger gaps. I don't think we are quite ready for 4,000 V electric motors just yet. :)
Walter

The main problem is power electronics.

Electric trains use up to ~30kV DC electric motors. (Generally three phase AC induction identical to Tesla's, around 500kW~1MW so in the same power band.)

High voltage power electronics are only used when there is a real need for them - for example long power cables on overhead catenaries require high voltage to reduce line losses. For shorter distances, intercity trains etc. voltages around 400~1500VDC are used.

IGBTs for 4kV and 500kW are INSANELY expensive, as are contactors etc (especially for DC)

High voltage is not for the faint of heart. During a recent ice bucket challenge, a fire truck had its ladder in the air close to a 12 kV overhead power line. The ladder never touched the line, but it got close enough to energize the fire truck. An unlucky firefighter got zapped pretty badly by touching the truck.

While high amps require thick cables, high voltage has its own problems with shielding and safe distances.

Walter

You don't need 4160V motors - although there are a lot of them already out there in industrial applications. You just need the ability to rearrange the cell interconnections during high voltage charging. But, even using 4160V for charging will create a lot of failure points that would scare me in a consumer product.

BN-EW318_KEYWOR_G_20141006121632.jpg