Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3P won't software update after two weeks - 2019.35.108

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a 2020 M3P bought Dec 18, 2019. Totaled on Feb 4, 2020. Ordered a new, exact same second on Feb 16, taking delivery Mar 12. The problem is that on the old one I had 2020.X software. Would update all the time, quickly and easily. My new one arrived with 2019.35.108 and despite having it on Advanced for software updates and having it connected to my home wifi, it has yet to update to anything, much less the latest version.

Any ideas?

We had it for six weeks. Put the plates on it a week before. Headed down the road and the left turn lane in front of us got to overflowing, so it backed up the left lane, which we were in. The car in front of of us came to a quick stop, we did, but the car behind us rear-ended us...forcing us into the car in front of us, then hit us again in the rear. The car in front of us was generally fine, we were fine (no airbag deployment), but the car behind us was pretty bad. The passenger was injured in the leg and abdomen area, driver fine.

The car was eventually totaled by USAA. They paid us full price plus covered the taxes and registration fees. We actually ended up making $1000 due to Tesla raising the price of FSD between when we ordered and took delivery.

It was sent to auction and fetched $35,250. Here is a link. https://www.copart.com/lot/29600750

Ended up getting the exact same car. Only difference was about 90K difference in the final numbers of the VIN.

Had a 2020 M3P bought Dec 18, 2019. Totaled on Feb 4, 2020. Ordered a new, exact same second on Feb 16, taking delivery Mar 12. The problem is that on the old one I had 2020.X software. Would update all the time, quickly and easily. My new one arrived with 2019.35.108 and despite having it on Advanced for software updates and having it connected to my home wifi, it has yet to update to anything, much less the latest version.

Any ideas?
If you look here (TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker), you'll see that 2019.35.108 vehicles are stacking up. Those are all new cars. They'll update when a new release of firmware that supports them happens. Hasn't happened yet.

New cars don’t update until they are on the list and it looks now like Tesla waits until it has a batch and then adds them to the update list. Used to be it was done immediately on delivery and you even were brought current at delivery but not any more. It does seem to take two weeks or so.

Same situation - delivery 3/12 with same software version. It seems the version is 4+ months old or so?

I'm hoping to see FSD get better when I get on a newer version, particularly with lane changes, merging onto freeways, and keeping appropriate distance from barriers. Here in NY state we have onramps that sort of suddenly end with an angled curb, and it consistently delays merging until it's about to run over the curb, then swerves at the last moment over to the point it intrudes into the middle lane briefly, so basically have to intervene every single time. Onramps that are more like the ones I remember from California work great. I've heard that at least the balky lane changes are greatly improved in the newer versions.

I guess this delay lets us experience the famous "updates are like having a new car" feeling sooner haha

So took delivery on the 13th. Same firmware version. Read this thread and just decided to wait patiently. Had a mobile tech come today to install the homelink. He got on the phone with a Tesla engineer and had them force a update because he couldn't install homelink without it. He said the new Tesla's have been "stuck" at the "wrong" firmware version and he's been having to do this a lot.

If you look here (TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker), you'll see that 2019.35.108 vehicles are stacking up. Those are all new cars. They'll update when a new release of firmware that supports them happens. Hasn't happened yet.
And now we see from the tracker that some 2019.35.108 vehicles are getting updated to 2020.8.2 (a version that first appeared there on 3/21). So should be happening for all of them pretty soon.