Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 (2021) or Used Model S (2017/2018)

mo7ammedsk

Apr 22, 2021
USA
Thinking of getting a Tesla but I wasn’t sure which one to go with. A new 2021 Model 3 SR+ (color, wheels, and interior included) costs around $44k that’s around the same price as a used 2017/2018 Model S 75 (also around $44-46k) which has got better range and acceleration. What do you think would be a better decision?

sroy

Closed
Mar 13, 2021
New Jersey
Have you tried any? I never drove an S but was passenger in a few (and X) but I drove an SR+ before ordering a LR. The SR+ has plenty of acceleration IMO. So it feels more like a smaller car vs larger car with extra range decision from my perspective. The S has a more traditional dash than the 3.

I looked at used S when I made my decisions and in the LR price range I felt I got more "car" with a new LR than a used S but I prefer the M3 minimalistic design to the larger S although I really like what they did with the refresh, aside from the K2000 steering "wheel".

Candleflame

Mar 9, 2015
QLD, Australia
Thinking of getting a Tesla but I wasn’t sure which one to go with. A new 2021 Model 3 SR+ (color, wheels, and interior included) costs around $44k that’s around the same price as a used 2017/2018 Model S 75 (also around $44-46k) which has got better range and acceleration. What do you think would be a better decision?

Model S if you need a bit bigger boot space or if you frequently transport rear passengers.
Model 3 definetely if you do frequent traveling and supercharging.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC