Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the “redesign” and interior “changes” don’t make me want to get one; eliminating the stalks is a mistake, the yoke isn’t compulsory as it was on the MS or even an option, good.

The additional range? not really, as it’s been proven Tesla overestimates its range and this very website posted articles where the real range was 10 to 13% shorter than its official EPA, so maybe you’ll get what they were previously telling you.

Would it kill them to put an little dash in front of the driver? doesn’t need to be like the MS but something …

Also, it looks like the design was thought out to please the Asian markets, it looks like a BYD/Hyundai/Kia, no wonder it was launched in China first.
Tesla only publishes the numbers furnished to them via EPA testing, so how exactly is TESLA overstating the range?

Curious. How does the car know where you want to go when nav is not used? Also, how does it work on roundabouts? I really don't want to think about which button to press when the wheel is upside down... 😁
That's what I want to know too. There are so many roundabouts here. Turning left requires 2 signal actions in a round about. Signal your intention of a turn when entering the round about, and signaling the opposite direction to exit the round about. Without nav, how does it know which one you want to exit?

Tesla only publishes the numbers furnished to them via EPA testing, so how exactly is TESLA overstating the range?
This thread probably doesn't need to devolve into how Tesla is the worst offender on overstating range, but the numbers from the EPA can be done with 2 different tests. Tesla chooses the set of tests that gives them the highest, most unrealistic number, and publishes those. Pretty much every other manufacturer uses the other set of tests that provide results that are much closer to what you will actually see.

Yes they are doing nothing illegal. Yes the test is obviously flawed that is used by the EPA, but just because something is not illegal does not make it ethical.

That's what I want to know too. There are so many roundabouts here. Turning left requires 2 signal actions in a round about. Signal your intention of a turn when entering the round about, and signaling the opposite direction to exit the round about. Without nav, how does it know which one you want to exit?
There are still indicator buttons. They just are on the steering wheel and not the stalk. You are getting confused with the other stalk which is used to put the car in drive/reverse and used with cruise control. Drive/Reverse is now automatic or able to be chosen manually on the screen. Cruise control must be a button on the wheel now.

now all the "old" model 3 owners: "hate it, ugly, old one looks better, no stalks" lol

from many who dont own any tesla, the new version is preferred simply by looks. old one just seems dated now, i mean its been like that since 2018, doesnt look sporty or sleek with the bulbous body and headlights making it look like a fish or a creature. the new headlights and tailights give it more of a sleek edgy look. although could have been better with more depth on lower part of front bumper with fogs, as is looks plain, but headlights are very welcomed.
then add all the new features, ambient lighting, increase range, better sound insulation better sound, etc etc. a $5K discount is not enough to warrant to buy the OLD 23 version over highland.

sorry those who just bought the 23, went from a new car to old in a matter of days
Hey I love my 22’ M3LR/boost! (Hw3 and USS and already 576km range..not the reduced).

I run 20” v1 rims/tires, black tint, gun metal decals, carbon fibre interior trim. To me handling is incredible as is the power :)
I have no inclination to upgrade to the new highland until I’ve driven this baby for 150k or 4-5 yrs :)

I’m sure the new revised specs are an improvement and I look forward to testing one out regardless. Now if they introduce a Perf with ludicrous…hmmm…maybe something to consider.

IMG_1284.jpeg

Reactions: TimTam and Braumin
There are still indicator buttons. They just are on the steering wheel and not the stalk. You are getting confused with the other stalk which is used to put the car in drive/reverse and used with cruise control. Drive/Reverse is now automatic or able to be chosen manually on the screen. Cruise control must be a button on the wheel now.
Not confused. When in a round about your wheel is no longer in the upright position. Now, when signaling your exit you need to find the signal button on an interface that may be upside down.

This thread probably doesn't need to devolve into how Tesla is the worst offender on overstating range, but the numbers from the EPA can be done with 2 different tests. Tesla chooses the set of tests that gives them the highest, most unrealistic number, and publishes those. Pretty much every other manufacturer uses the other set of tests that provide results that are much closer to what you will actually see.

Yes they are doing nothing illegal. Yes the test is obviously flawed that is used by the EPA, but just because something is not illegal does not make it ethical.
So let me understand this. If it was your company, you would use the formula that provides the worst stats? How is that ethical?

Reactions: Darren F
Some nice incremental gains. 8% increased efficiency is quite a lot.

I don't think I would like the loss of stalk, but I've been wrong before about lack of buttons.

Rear screen...I basically never have kids in the back and they have phones anyway. Ambient lighting is neat but something you ever over in no time. Ventilated seats could be nice but I don't live in arizona so AC is fine, etc.

Ultimately, my decision to buy a model 3 this year feels absolutely fine to me. This thing is only marginally changed, frankly. I am definitely considering buying a second tesla before year end and if it's a 3 instead of a y I would not pay much of a premium for this highland version. It does look better from the front, but the rest of the changes are very modest.

Very surprised no one on this thread hasn't mentioned this yet.
The style of the new headlights, and to an extent, the new nose, are taken from/inspired by the Roadster 2.
So it would be natural for the upcoming refreshes and any new models in development to also take this overall design.
It's inevitable that a Y refresh will also have the front end updates like the 3. And the S/X down the line.

The original MS had the lowest drag of any production car in history, improved by the refresh. Now this new 3 has improved even more.
So that alone should tell you this is the direction Tesla design will be going in the near future.
I understand some folks may not like the design, but it has a purpose. Adding any unnecessary vents just adds drag.
I could very easily see the next MS essentially be the front half of the R2 and the back half of the MS.

On this 3 refresh, which doesn't have any real battery/DU improvements, the aerodynamics (and maybe new material weight reduction) are where the added range comes from (and maybe tires).

- ambient lighting on the dash is meh
- ventilated seats is an improvement, A/C would be ideal, but baby steps for their "entry level" model.
Hopefully the seats have improved comfort as well.
- improved suspension/chassis, according to many owners on this site, was a must
- emphasis on noise reduction is a great sign that they are listening to us. And willing to take action.
- rear screen, a plus for small families, a touch of luxury from the S/X brought to the 3.
- stalkless, it's polarizing, and seems to be a personal preference. I personally like a real instrument cluster, so maybe I'd get used to being without one, and maybe I'd get used to stalkless. I think it's something you either learn or you don't. It's clearly the direction Tesla is going so everyone will have to make the decision for themselves whether to buy in or not.
- center wheel push horn, I just think this is the most natural, instinctual location, and glad they made this change.

The shear fact that they changed/improved HALF of the parts and the price is essentially the SAME, is phenomenal!
That cannot be overlooked.
There's no way any other car maker could do that. Sure, it's proof of the margins Tesla has, but they didn't have to do that.
With so many changes, no one would've questioned a 10% price increase. They didn't do that.
You have to tip your hat for that.

Attachments

• Roadster2.jpg
    Roadster2.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I like the redesign of the front, more than the rear. The interior looks better to me also.

No stalk... not sure about that. As others have stated, a small gauge cluster or a HUD would be welcomed.

As just buying a new to me '21, I'm not disappointed in not waiting for the '24. Not enough to make up the price difference (though the ventilated seats would be nice in this Louisiana heat), of course, barring a price drop on the '24.

Do we know the variables they took into account for the EPA Range ? For ex : MY LR gives 330 but only if you can get an efficiency of 250 kw/h mile. I get that efficiency when I drive my ev like my old Honda with zero sprints , sticking to speed limits and only on inner roads. In fact when the weather is cooler ( I live in Central FL) sometimes I even get efficiency of 220 . I am not sure how we can get this efficiency in highways. Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated!

So let me understand this. If it was your company, you would use the formula that provides the worst stats? How is that ethical?
I don't know why people defend this but again, Tesla is CHOOSING to provide misleading information.

They aren't picking the "formula that provides the worst stats"

They are picking the formula that provides the results that are furthest from reality in order to boost sales. There are plenty of threads about the inaccuracies of Tesla's range estimates. We don't need another one here. Let's just focus on the car changes.

Reactions: RBowen
Has anyone addressed the "ventilated" vs cooled seats? To me, ventilated just means the seat material has the small holes / perforated material in it but there is no "active cooling" of the seats. So the seats are ventilated but not actually cooled?
There will still be a fan to blow air through the seats, but that air will not be cooled by AC directly. It will just be cabin air. I think ventilated seats (with a fan) are still a nice upgrade over what we have now.