Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Performance only getting 294 miles on full 100% charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just 700 miles on a 2020 Model 3 Performance. Tesla web site claimed car should get 310 miles but I have charged just twice to attempt 100% charge and it only gets to 294 miles range.

This seems to be 5% below the rated 310 miles on a brand new car --- is this correct and what others are seeing as well??

I have just 700 miles on a 2020 Model 3 Performance. Tesla web site claimed car should get 310 miles but I have charged just twice to attempt 100% charge and it only gets to 294 miles range.

As most older owners will tell you, that's about right, if not better than some.

Performance cars tend to be driven a little more, shall we say, spiritedly, and the 310 miles is usually achieved driving 65 overall. My wife and I have no problem getting a calculated 310 (we do roughly 20% to 80%) on our 3, but it's not a performance.

Don't worry about it, and enjoy your car!

Clarification: I am seeing just 294 miles showing on the display after a 100% charge. Understand due to driving habits, tires, etc. I don't get 100% efficiency and won't get 294 actual driving miles before empty. I was just expecting 310 or close to that to show up on the display and app after completing a 100% charge.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

This seems to be 5% below the rated 310 miles on a brand new car --- is this correct and what others are seeing as well??

I don't think you guys are understanding his question. I think he is saying that sitting in his garage it says 294 at 100% charge on his screen. I don't think he's talking about driving it and only getting 294.

As most older owners will tell you, that's about right, if not better than some.

Performance cars tend to be driven a little more, shall we say, spiritedly, and the 310 miles is usually achieved driving 65 overall. My wife and I have no problem getting a calculated 310 (we do roughly 20% to 80%) on our 3, but it's not a performance.

Don't worry about it, and enjoy your car!

He’s not talking about efficiency. He’s asking about what the car should read on a full tank (e.g. EPA). My Stealth Performance with 19” OEM wheels always showed around 309 to 306 on a full charge (before the increase). Today an AWD (stealth or not) should show 322 miles on a full charge but I don’t know if Tesla updated the code to show that figure yet. According to Tesla web site a Performance+ (with 20” wheels) should display ~310. The Performance+ is rated a little lower than LR (AWD stealth or boost) because of the tires. Not because it’s driven more spiritedly. EPA doesn’t drive cars more spiritedly to come up with their numbers on cars with stickier tires.

What it displays on a full charge has nothing to do with how spirited you drive. It can be off a bit due to charging habits. OP should just give it some love and it will probably come up. A couple long L2 charges from 30% to 90% may help. I think warmer weather helps bring the number up to a more believable (EPA) range.

Correct just sitting in garage parked at 100 percent charge is only showing 294 miles. Just wanted to try 100 percent twice now same result don't plan on 100 percent every day charge but it does appear 294 is about 5 percent less than 310 rated range. What do other performance 3 models see on your 100 percent charge before I go asking service center?

Correct just sitting in garage parked at 100 percent charge is only showing 294 miles. Just wanted to try 100 percent twice now same result don't plan on 100 percent every day charge but it does appear 294 is about 5 percent less than 310 rated range. What do other performance 3 models see on your 100 percent charge before I go asking service center?

Read the thread that alan linked, in post 2.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Clarification: I am seeing just 294 miles showing on the display after a 100% charge. Understand due to driving habits, tires, etc. I don't get 100% efficiency and won't get 294 actual driving miles before empty. I was just expecting 310 or close to that to show up on the display and app after completing a 100% charge.

Yes, please follow that link, and then follow the link in that post. This is a well known situation. If you want a higher number, you can select 18” wheels configuration but it is meaningless to do so and will screw up your trip planner.

Why no one gets 299, which is the expected value for your car when new, I do not exactly know. 294 is a very common value for a brand new 2020 3P+ car with a perfect battery with zero capacity loss.

I know the website says 310 rated miles for Performance, but that value does not apply to any 2020 Model 3. It is Tesla being Tesla!

Last edited:

I've got a 2018 Performance with 30k miles and I saw 284 when I charged to 100% about a week ago. I never had the car brand new so I can't comment on what it showed initially. If you are concerned about it ask the service center, even if your experience is typical I think it is a reasonable question considering you have a brand new car.

This is perfectly fine. There is nothing wrong with your car. After the latest update my 2020 stealth performance is showing around the same number. Before the latest Christmas update, it was showing 310. They changed the constant and lowered the number. Again this doesn't mean anything since your range will vary due to a lot of factors. Just change it to percentage and don't stress over it. Who knows, maybe with another update they can change the constant and make the displayed range higher or perhaps even lower.

When I first purchased my P3D+ in Sept 2018 it regularly stated 307-310 miles on a full charge. 19,000 miles later it states 297-299. I mostly charge to 90%. But I sometimes charge to 100% on road trips. It is cold here. Regularly 40F in my garage and 32-20F outside.

In all reality , this is not going to change your ability to use your car-particularly for a P3D+. Actual range is a *lot* less under most driving circumstances. Note how a standard performance doesn't have the summer sport tires? Thats what the 310 rating is for. The 20 in summer sport tires are fun - but they hack a bunch of range off right there. Add in winter and boom even less range.

But for most days, it just doesn't matter. You can easily charge at home to 90% every day and have more than enough range to commute and take a spontaneous trip. Superchargers usually aren't ever more than 120 miles away. 5% loss really won't change your life. AND it may not even be real.

My advice - don't watch the battery for degradation except maybe every 6 months. If the battery loses 20% capacity in 6 months it will be in your face - and Tesla will probably fix it. Otherwise if you can't notice day to day - don't pull out your hair watching the pot not boil.

Reactions: RONNIEC
I've got a 2018 Performance with 30k miles and I saw 284 when I charged to 100% about a week ago. I never had the car brand new so I can't comment on what it showed initially.

When I first purchased my P3D+ in Sept 2018 it regularly stated 307-310 miles on a full charge. 19,000 miles later it states 297-299

Guys: the OP has about 318 equivalent rated miles in the old system! He is not talking about a degradation issue! He has 700 miles on the car; there will be no significant degradation! No need to confuse the issue - this thread has nothing to do with capacity loss.

294rmi20 * 265Wh/rmi20 / 245 Wh/rmiOLD = 318 rmiOLD

There is zero ambiguity here.

The OP will see 314 rated miles or so if he switches his wheel config to 18”. But those are slightly beefier than the old rated miles. He is not able to select a constant which will provide him the old rated miles system.

Guys: the OP has about 318 equivalent rated miles in the old system! He is not talking about a degradation issue! He has 700 miles on the car; there will be no significant degradation! No need to confuse the issue - this thread has nothing to do with capacity loss.

294rmi20 * 265Wh/rmi20 / 245 Wh/rmiOLD = 318 rmiOLD

There is zero ambiguity here.

The OP will see 314 rated miles or so if he switches his wheel config to 18”. But those are slightly beefier than the old rated miles. He is not able to select a constant which will provide him the old rated miles system.

Good to know, but I think that Tesla needs to fix what they are showing on the website then. If you buy a brand new car rated at 310 miles range then you come home and it shows 294 the new owners are naturally going to be perplexed. Does Tesla address this "new" and "old" system anywhere in the FAQ or the statement on range?

Good to know, but I think that Tesla needs to fix what they are showing on the website then. If you buy a brand new car rated at 310 miles range then you come home and it shows 294 the new owners are naturally going to be perplexed. Does Tesla address this "new" and "old" system anywhere in the FAQ or the statement on range?

No arguments with that. It's Tesla being Tesla. They appear to be (roughly) splitting the difference between 299 and 322. You can get your brand new car to display over 314 rated miles if you want though - it exceeds the website, isn't that great? ;) I assume the window sticker provided at time of purchase clearly indicates the 299 rated miles on a Performance 20", though. That seems certain.

I also think there is a fair chance this is a work in progress and there may be some small adjustments in the first software update of the year - and the numbers also don't align with the EPA numbers right now so they may adjust the constants a little. I say this because the AWD is completely out of whack right now (at least in most reports).

No arguments with that. It's Tesla being Tesla. They appear to be (roughly) splitting the difference between 299 and 322. You can get your brand new car to display over 314 rated miles if you want though - it exceeds the website, isn't that great? ;) I assume the window sticker provided at time of purchase clearly indicates the 299 rated miles on a Performance 20", though. That seems certain.

I also think there is a fair chance this is a work in progress and there may be some small adjustments in the first software update of the year - and the numbers also don't align with the EPA numbers right now so they may adjust the constants a little. I say this because the AWD is completely out of whack right now (at least in most reports).

Point taken that the display doesn't really matter it only matters what you actually get... it just seems kind of bush league to me. I looked at their FAQ in the range section of the website and it says the following:

After charging is completed, why is the estimated range less than expected?
It is normal for estimated range to decrease slightly over the first few months before leveling off. Over time, you may see a gradual, but natural, decrease in range at full charge – this depends on factors such as Supercharging regularly or the mileage and age of the battery. Your Tesla will inform you in the unlikely event a hardware issue is causing excessive battery or range degradation.

Range

The implication (the way I read it) is that anything lower than advertised is due to degradation so I wouldn't fault any owners for feeling that way.