Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 SR+ with rear motor 3D5 instead of 3D1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is the fanboy culture I kept hearing about...

The resell value of some wallnuts are irrelevant for consumers. That's not even comparing apples with pears.

Just imagine BMW suddenly selling 335i engines in 340i models without telling anyone. Never happened, never will and rightly so.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC

The resell value of some wallnuts are irrelevant for consumers. That's not even comparing apples with pears.

Just imagine BMW suddenly selling 335i engines in 340i models without telling anyone. Never happened, never will and rightly so.

It’s the other way around.

Say you buy a PC with a 2ghz CPU. You discover that they actually put a 2.2GHz CPU in there, because the 2GHz one was out of stock. Cool, you got something a little better than what you paid for.

Now, I come along a year later, buy the same PC and it comes with the 2GHz CPU it was spec’d for.

Does that mean I “got screwed”? Of course not. I got exactly what I paid for.

Same EXACT thing here.

• Funny

So BMW never changes components without advertising it to customers? It's never ever had a recall because an unspecified component failed, and changed the failing component on new cars?

Tesla says it will accelerate to 60 in 5.6 seconds. It accelerates to 60 in 5.6 seconds.
Worry about the times they fail to match what they say.
Tesla makes frequent changes.

• Funny
You guys aren’t even using applicable analogies. 0-60 is limited by battery size and software, not the motor capacity. Where is the data on these “slower” cars?

The AWD has also had motor swap but it’s just as fast as it’s always been.

You guys aren’t even using applicable analogies. 0-60 is limited by battery size and software, not the motor capacity. Where is the data on these “slower” cars?

The AWD has also had motor swap but it’s just as fast as it’s always been.

The AWD with the motor swap can no longer be flashed to be a P like the original motor versions so clearly 0-60 is limited by the motor in that case.

Guess what - if the 335i engine was upped in boost to meet the cars advertised performance, then there isn’t a problem.

Again, culture differences. Not a fan boy here, and I’m usually not one to recommend a Tesla to everybody.

What happened here is Tesla theoretically sold a faster car than advertised in the past, and current buyers are pissed the car they are getting is exactly what they were paying for.

This isn’t Fanboy-ism. You haven’t experienced fanboy-ism on this thread. The fanboys come out in force in panel gap threads.

• Funny
I think the disappointment comes from Tesla not doing better than they say they will. If this makes the SR/+ more efficient? Great. If it makes it less efficient? Then Boo.

I'm more disappointed in decontenting of the line in general such as dimming mirrors, homelink, floormats, etc.

Screw your wallnuts and other peanuts. When did any other car manufacturer do something like putting a 335-engine in a car that always had a 340 engine without telling customers (never ever)?

Cancel the order, don't buy it. The way u talk i think u will regret it.
Other options:
1. Buy the car, experience it and give it a chance, u can alway return it if u follow their return rules.
2. Buy a second hand Model 3 with the motor u like.

Buying a older model can have other down-sides, like having the older AP2.5, the older ones from being 2019 also have less comfortable seats. Tesla keeps improving stuff without telling anyone, if something was better then promised it's a extra, but u cannot count on getting it.
And i can assure u, i am NOT a fan-boy, i got my M3 in sept 2019 and got AP2.5, disappointing.
More disappointing is the bad finish (extreme soft paint with many defects, misaligned parts, bad sound-isolation, the way i had to pick up my car (dirty in a fully piled open air parking lot), al would be solved and they tried, but not everything has been fixed. After all this, i like the car so much (the driving experience) that is still decided to keep it. The good beats the bad.

Screw your wallnuts and other peanuts. When did any other car manufacturer do something like putting a 335-engine in a car that always had a 340 engine without telling customers (never ever)?

I tried being nice, but you instead turn this into a personal attack. Uncalled for. You're also very much incorrect - and yes, I can quote examples - but I'm not going to bother with someone intent on being nasty. So long.

This is just Tesla doing another wave of cost cutting changes like I've seen in other areas lately. Nixing those extra costly mosfet's while maintaining advertised accel number's is going to give them the extra margin they're continuing to seek. Like KJ said, surprised it wasn't done sooner.

To all those who think Tesla did nothing wrong here and people are just sour that they are not getting please consider this:

If I‘m interested in buying a car i‘ll read about it and try top talk to current owners. So i‘ll probably check car magazines, read forum posts or talk to people who own the car. All these would have told me about the amazing performance of the car (because it is easily beating the advertised specs).

Then i might opt for a test drive for which Tesla also would have provided me with a car that had the high performance motor in it.

And if based on all this research i decide to buy the car i shouldnt be disappointed if i don’t get the car i read about / i experienced?
Because i should have known that the cars „overperformed“ and might change for the worse (even if within advertised specs) anytime?

Might be a cultural issue (i‘m from europe too) but i don’t think so. And the little i know about US consumer laws tells me there might well be a case to be had.

Reactions: Venyo and Apprunner
To all those who think Tesla did nothing wrong here and people are just sour that they are not getting please consider this:

If I‘m interested in buying a car i‘ll read about it and try top talk to current owners. So i‘ll probably check car magazines, read forum posts or talk to people who own the car. All these would have told me about the amazing performance of the car (because it is easily beating the advertised specs).

Then i might opt for a test drive for which Tesla also would have provided me with a car that had the high performance motor in it.

And if based on all this research i decide to buy the car i shouldnt be disappointed if i don’t get the car i read about / i experienced?
Because i should have known that the cars „overperformed“ and might change for the worse (even if within advertised specs) anytime?

Might be a cultural issue (i‘m from europe too) but i don’t think so. And the little i know about US consumer laws tells me there might well be a case to be had.

You said it perfectly. I wouldn't be happy as the purchaser if all the performance times i've read about and test drive were because of the better motor. Yes, Tesla didn't promise it but I bought the car with expectations derived from reviews and my test drive. Unfortunately, this model isn't the one that usually sells on how quick it is. Most of the SR+ buyers focus on the cost and range which probably aren't impacted by the switch.

You said it perfectly. I wouldn't be happy as the purchaser if all the performance times i've read about and test drive were because of the better motor. Yes, Tesla didn't promise it but I bought the car with expectations derived from reviews and my test drive. Unfortunately, this model isn't the one that usually sells on how quick it is. Most of the SR+ buyers focus on the cost and range which probably aren't impacted by the switch.

Am I supposed to be upset because someone else got free Supercharging, even though my car didn't?
Or should I sue because I saw a Model 3 in silver that I can't buy right now?
Or - my personal favorite - frunk hooks. Oh, the humanity!!!!

As long as they deliver everything they say they will -- and in this case, they do -- whether someone else's car does or doesn't do something is not germane to the purchase, in any way.

Reactions: pl8dlikafiddle

Has anyone yet provided any evidence the car with the 990 DU is actually any slower than the one with the 980?

Because if it's not (and the LR AWD didn't get any slower when this change happened) then I can't figure out how Tesla did anything "wrong" at all.

Certainly not from your example, where the car would behave exactly the same in every circumstance you described with either DU.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: pl8dlikafiddle
Am I supposed to be upset because someone else got free Supercharging, even though my car didn't?
Or should I sue because I saw a Model 3 in silver that I can't buy right now?
Or - my personal favorite - frunk hooks. Oh, the humanity!!!!

As long as they deliver everything they say they will -- and in this case, they do -- whether someone else's car does or doesn't do something is not germane to the purchase, in any way.

I'd be upset if most people on the forums were getting 5s 0-60 and thats what I expected out of the car but what i get is 5.5s even though thats what Tesla advertised. Its all about expectations. If there is no performance hit, then this is a non-issue but if the new motor version is slower, I wouldn't be a happy camper. In fact, I wouldn't take delivery of the car and cancel the order. There is no basis for a lawsuit but the buyer can speak with his/her wallet.