Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3/Y Rear Entertainment & Climate Control Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tablets are great for those who don't want functionality associated with being connected to the CANBUS (like hvac, heated seat, etc). This built in rear screen would probably be a poor financial choice if all an person wants is something a tablet already has. If the CANBUS type functions are important, a tablet won't cut it. I'm guessing those interested in this built-in screen want more functionality than a stand-alone tablet provides.

Reactions: shingles
Tablets are great for those who don't want functionality associated with being connected to the CANBUS (like hvac, heated seat, etc). This built in rear screen would probably be a poor financial choice if all an person wants is something a tablet already has. If the CANBUS type functions are important, a tablet won't cut it. I'm guessing those interested in this built-in screen want more functionality than a stand-alone tablet provides.
does the Tesla App on a smartphone talk to the CANBUS.
all a tablet need do is smartphone equivalent.

the driver needs to have primary authority; control from the back seat not advisable.

A tablet is not very integrated which may or may not matter to some. Totally agree about limiting control of most functions to driver but a few are nice for the back passengers to have like turning on heated seats in the back or turning rear fan on/off.

I am considering doing this install but my Model Y has the AMD processor. So I spoke with Hansshow and they said that a separate cable is needed for AMD cars.

Anyone here that has installed a similar monitor and can give some input on how much more hassle and work it is with the AMD versions of the 3/Y?

does the Tesla App on a smartphone talk to the CANBUS.
all a tablet need do is smartphone equivalent.

the driver needs to have primary authority; control from the back seat not advisable.
A tablet would need a data connection to connect to the app and then a lot of times it takes awhile for the app to connect to the car in order for you to control the settings. The app in speed is never going to beat a dedicated tablet that is hardwired to the car. Plus who wants to remember to bring the ipad/tablet with them every time they go to the car.

A tablet would need a data connection to connect to the app and then a lot of times it takes awhile for the app to connect to the car in order for you to control the settings. The app in speed is never going to beat a dedicated tablet that is hardwired to the car. Plus who wants to remember to bring the ipad/tablet with them every time they go to the car.
tablet talks over bluetooth
you never want the rear passengers to have access to primary controls
the addition of a data connection to the rear of the console is possible with a $150 aftermarket kit and time to install it, but....why if it's just the kids
Tesla made a good decision not messing with the whole rear controls thing. just more to support or break.
get a tablet and be done.

tablet talks over bluetooth
you never want the rear passengers to have access to primary controls
the addition of a data connection to the rear of the console is possible with a $150 aftermarket kit and time to install it, but....why if it's just the kids
Tesla made a good decision not messing with the whole rear controls thing. just more to support or break.
get a tablet and be done.
Um. I think you want your primary phone connected to the car via Bluetooth. It's going to depend if you can trust your folks in the back. I think I trust me wife and daughter not to goof around with the controls. Also if they have access to the app, won't they have control of all the things in the front climate controls as well as other things? The integrated screen doesn't need a data connection to control anything. It's only needed if you want to use the other features like media or to install apps.

If you're an Uber driver, you probably don't want this device at all for obvious reasons. A stand-alone tablet is great for certain things and maybe even better for some. However this device has certain functionality and integration that a stand-alone tablet cannot provide. Although there is some crossover for functionality, they serve different purposes. If there were no advantages whatsoever for this device, everyone would just buy a cheaper tablet. Personally, I have no interest in putting a stand-alone tablet in the back seat and I like the idea of this device but will wait until a more refined version comes out.

Here is the install on the smaller version. At the end I go through all of the functions. First drive with the kids in the back went great tonight.

This I like. Controlling front passenger seat is a cool feature. Hansshow makes great stuff. Their instructions are pretty bad though. Hardcopies with postage sized pictures. I've tried explaining this to them several times (have over 5 of their products across our SP and YP--also installed several on friend's cars). But no dice.

I installed mine today. Model Y AMD processor. It is quite a process but not impossible at all. The connection to the computer was quite fiddly. Almost worse plugging it in than taking it out.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the installation.

The screen is OK. Software feels a bit like an older Android tablet. Not the smoothest but gets the job done.

With the smaller screen the connection is right below the rear vents.

Yes but be warned: The rear connection is much easier but that connection is known for issues after certain updates from Tesla. So all of a sudden the controls to the car may stop working (it will always have power though).

The front connection to the computer has this far never been affected by an update from Tesla.

So buy the smaller screen at your own risk.

I installed mine today. Model Y AMD processor. It is quite a process but not impossible at all. The connection to the computer was quite fiddly. Almost worse plugging it in than taking it out.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the installation.

The screen is OK. Software feels a bit like an older Android tablet. Not the smoothest but gets the job done.
I am also looking to install this on my Model 3 AMD processor. how did you connect it to the front? I only got one long cable with 2 connectors labeled AMD and another one labelled intel, the AMD connector is physically different than the blue canbus connector. for intel it shows a grey connector to connect but not sure for the AMD any help will be appreciated

I am also looking to install this on my Model 3 AMD processor. how did you connect it to the front? I only got one long cable with 2 connectors labeled AMD and another one labelled intel, the AMD connector is physically different than the blue canbus connector. for intel it shows a grey connector to connect but not sure for the AMD any help will be appreciated

The connector is the black one third from the bottom. So lay down and look at the third one. It is the connector with a red "button" that needs to be pulled out so that you can release it.

The connector is the black one third from the bottom. So lay down and look at the third one. It is the connector with a red "button" that needs to be pulled out so that you can release it.
awesome thank you for the update, just so I am doing it right, the connector from the rear display will go into the connector 3rd from the bottom with the red button and then connect with the other connector to the control box and other end to power for display? Only reason I am asking because hansshow tech was telling me to connect to the blue canbus but i did not get any cable that fits that.

awesome thank you for the update, just so I am doing it right, the connector from the rear display will go into the connector 3rd from the bottom with the red button and then connect with the other connector to the control box and other end to power for display? Only reason I am asking because hansshow tech was telling me to connect to the blue canbus but i did not get any cable that fits that.
Do not listen to Hansshow they gave me the same info.
That is wrong what they said to many of us.

Yes pull the red tab back to be able to disconnect the plug by pushing down on the release button.

When Disconnected you must plug it in within 5 minutes to the displays harness and the other end from the AMD side back into the computer.

Connecting the plug back was really tricky.

After that connect the little protocol box into the white connector and then the screen.

Start the car check for errors and then start routing the cable to the back.

Do not listen to Hansshow they gave me the same info.
That is wrong what they said to many of us.

Yes pull the red tab back to be able to disconnect the plug by pushing down on the release button.

When Disconnected you must plug it in within 5 minutes to the displays harness and the other end from the AMD side back into the computer.

Connecting the plug back was really tricky.

After that connect the little protocol box into the white connector and then the screen.

Start the car check for errors and then start routing the cable to the back.
Thank you for your guidance, really appeciate it. I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you for your guidance, really appeciate it. I will let you know how it goes.

No problem. I went in all blind to be honest. Just take it easy, try using a thin screwdriver to push out the red part and then press down on the release button. It is tricky for sure.

Let me know as soon as you made It! :)
i found out from a tesla tech unrelated but if you go to software and press on the display where it says model 3 it can put the car into service mode use password "service" I wonder if that would help buy time in connecting/disconnecting the cable