Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3/Y Rear Entertainment & Climate Control Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
let me know how it goes, from when i explained the setup to tesla he believes the controller is for communicating to the display for car climate controls. which he thinks is interfering.
Thanks! There are no issues at all more than that the latest update failed at 30 %. Got an error saying it failed and that it will try again when the update is sent to me.

Scary part is that Tesla said over phone that "it couldn't install due to something with the Autopilot". But i have no issues in the car. Tried to do a hard reboot (I might have been unplugged more than 5 minutes who knows). If that is the case they say to do a deep reboot to clear any errors or issues. Hopefully that helps.

I am also thinking about disconnecting the protocol box. Is there any risk of something being fried in the car if I disconnect it? Is that box purely for communicating data for seat heating and rear climate control? I can live without those features I mainly use is as an ipad for my kids who love it this far.

A friend said that Tesla can see if we have disconnected anything and if something fails they will show no mercy when it comes to warranty repairs.
Yes Tesla can see any activity on the car but they only have information up to 10 days, I found that out because i needed data from them for a flat tire going thru a construction area.

• Informative
Reactions: tlr1000
Yes Tesla can see any activity on the car but they only have information up to 10 days, I found that out because i needed data from them for a flat tire going thru a construction area.

Yeah that's what I also think, that protocol box is no good. I can live without rear controls for seats and climate control. Tesla said that they will push it out soon again to me. If nothing works I will disconnect the protocol box and hope that it solves my issues and lets me have the screen.

Hansshow has stopped replying and they offer no help or solution.

@Martina Manson, was your vehicle powered down when you were connecting the wiring harness to the CANBUS?

Unfortunately, your experience with HS seems all too common. Fairly responsive with verbal assistance but when you get to a point where there's a possibility that hardware replacement is required or need of a refund, it's standard for replies to stop.

@Martina Manson, was your vehicle powered down when you were connecting the wiring harness to the CANBUS?

Unfortunately, your experience with HS seems all too common. Fairly responsive with verbal assistance but when you get to a point where there's a possibility that hardware replacement is required or need of a refund, it's standard for replies to stop.
Absolutely. Car was turned off. Disconnected the plug, connected harness and reconnected to computer. Then connected protocol box and screen and after that powered up car. Not a single issue nor warning anywhere. Autopilot works great as rest of the car. Likewise the screen itself.

I noticed no issues at all until the update came.

So right now I am thinking of unplugging the protocol box but I am afraid that the box itself controls power and might damage the car if disconnected while the main harness is still connected to the computer? I do believe the box only communicates and does nothing regarding power regulation, but not sure.

Hansshow is a joke. I would say order stuff from them that it not electric and that usually just works with little risk of being faulty. But never would I recommend anyone buying something that connects to the main computer from them again.

I've actually taken my time to call different vendors around the world and explain to them what I have seen with my car, and they say that the screen is too new for them to know if this is an isolated case or a design issue. But they would contact Hansshow and demand an answer.

One thing is for sure: this screen is the first one that actually takes control and wants to tell the car what to do. And the car dosen't seem to like it all. The other screens just read the open signal, this one writes and reads.

What will Tesla say about this when they open the logs and see another device connected on the system? Who knows but it scares me.

I can vouch from 1st hand experience that Tesla is ultrasensitive about any electronics installed and I would say to an unreasonable extent. I had an issue with my cameras on the front fender and the mobile technician said they can deny warranty due to frunk kit, trunk kit, and even a radar detector where I tapped power from the 12v socket. I told them that in attaching something to the 12v power for the radar has absolutely nothing to do with the cameras and he said Tesla has a right to have me uninstall everything before diagnosing the issue. I asked the technician to explain how tapping 12v power from a place Tesla specifically designed for 12v accessories could be a problem and he couldn't explain. He went on to say that even SSDs used for dashcam/music storage could cause various sytem problems which also seems ridiculous. The fact they can be so fussy (and of course to a very unreasonable extent) would tell me that they would definitely have issues with the aftermarket rear screen controlling car functions. Safest thing to do before warranty questions is to completely uninstall the screen and wait 10 days (assuming comment above about flushing system log is correct) before reporting the issue.

I can vouch from 1st hand experience that Tesla is ultrasensitive about any electronics installed and I would say to an unreasonable extent. I had an issue with my cameras on the front fender and the mobile technician said they can deny warranty due to frunk kit, trunk kit, and even a radar detector where I tapped power from the 12v socket. I told them that in attaching something to the 12v power for the radar has absolutely nothing to do with the cameras and he said Tesla has a right to have me uninstall everything before diagnosing the issue. I asked the technician to explain how tapping 12v power from a place Tesla specifically designed for 12v accessories could be a problem and he couldn't explain. He went on to say that even SSDs used for dashcam/music storage could cause various sytem problems which also seems ridiculous. The fact they can be so fussy (and of course to a very unreasonable extent) would tell me that they would definitely have issues with the aftermarket rear screen controlling car functions. Safest thing to do before warranty questions is to completely uninstall the screen and wait 10 days (assuming comment above about flushing system log is correct) before reporting the issue.
Well that sounds like typical corporation talk like Apple and what not.

In my case, it is already reported since I called in my issue to them and they sent it to the "advanced team that will send out the update again". So they will see something I guess. If it comes down to a visit from technician I will remove everything and perhaps wait 10 days after removal in order to be sure they can't see the removal disconnection/connection.

To be honest there's really nothing wrong with the car. Only the update issue. So I guess all hardware is OK. My hope is that this darn screen only "blocks" and hasn't fried anything (a friend that has really deep connections with Tesla said leave it as is let them push the update again no panic, if it dosen't work just remove it and play dumb).

From contacting Tesla Canada you can request a copy of your vehicle data thru your online account, you can specify a date range and it will have everything, from each time you open a door to errors takes up to 30 days for it to be sent. The local service center only retains data for 10 days that is what they had told me and when I contacted my service center they confirmed it, but to be safe I would confirm with your local service center just to be safe.

• Informative
I can confirm another case with the same issue. He has tried updating the car 3 times since installing the screen and it wont install, he gets errors each time. Also his Autopilot is behaving strangely and disengaging without any reason.

I will try contacting Hansshow again now.

I can confirm another case with the same issue. He has tried updating the car 3 times since installing the screen and it wont install, he gets errors each time. Also his Autopilot is behaving strangely and disengaging without any reason.

I will try contacting Hansshow again now.
Do you know if the other person tried disconnecting the protocol box before updating? Also what version is the software update? just wondering if it is something in the update or updates in general?

Do you know if the other person tried disconnecting the protocol box before updating? Also what version is the software update? just wondering if it is something in the update or updates in general?
He will disconnect the protocol box ASAP before he gets the chance to update the car again. He got error on 40.1 just like me. Three failed attempts to install (I had one fail this far).

Will you also disconnect the box before updating?

Hansshow replied and said

"I think it's better not to updateThe reason has already been told you, the more updates, the more code modifications, which are not friendly to adding accessories, which will cause problems with upgrading accessories".

So they said "So what?" more or less. They don't see it as a problem, more as a good thing. They don't ser the point in us being able to update our cars any longer.

As Tesla said "We demand to update your Model Y because of regulations and your safety, if we can't update your car within a certain time we might diseable it so that you have to tow it in to us to find out why we can't update it".

I am demanding a full refund.

Hansshow replied and said

"I think it's better not to updateThe reason has already been told you, the more updates, the more code modifications, which are not friendly to adding accessories, which will cause problems with upgrading accessories".

So they said "So what?" more or less. They don't see it as a problem, more as a good thing. They don't ser the point in us being able to update our cars any longer.

As Tesla said "We demand to update your Model Y because of regulations and your safety, if we can't update your car within a certain time we might diseable it so that you have to tow it in to us to find out why we can't update it".

I am demanding a full refund.
that is a stupid response from Hansshow, so basically the screen is only good until your next tesla update without any fix. I think i will be asking for a full refund too

He will disconnect the protocol box ASAP before he gets the chance to update the car again. He got error on 40.1 just like me. Three failed attempts to install (I had one fail this far).

Will you also disconnect the box before updating?
let me know if disconnecting the protocol box makes a difference, when my next update occurs I will try disconnecting the protocol box also unless you guys have done it already and it did not make a difference. then the next option would be putting back the factory plug back in its original state

Hopefully you guys can get a full refund but don't hold your breathe. It is not uncommon for them to sometimes offer partial refunds under their view that a customer has received the use and enjoyment of a product for at least some period of time. They seem to operate under a premise to be profitable for each individual transaction. When my friend had a faulty trunk kit and it was obviously a hardware replacement issue, they ghosted him even though it was within the warranty period. Consider sharing your experience on the comments section of some of the popular youtube infomercials.

All that being said, I did order the small version of the rear screen but it is a lot less expensive and I'm going into it knowing well that the service is likely crap. My screen came with scratches to the bottom of the housing (probably a customer return) and I've messaged them and unsurprisingly, crickets.

The scariest part of this is if this darn screen has permanently blocked updates to our cars? What if some type of security in the software has kicked in that is blocking the updates and the only way to unlock it is to take it to Tesla where they will find out what we've done?

That's the scary part.

Jesus, what a clusterfuck. Glad I didn't order it, was very tempted by the small version. Someone outside of China should make premium Tesla accessories like this with appropriate design language (my main gripe is the display panel they use with awful backlight bleed, and it not looking anything like 2022 tesla UI) and proper support. Would get my support, and I'm sure plenty of others.

Question. Is the issue of the software upgrades solely on the large screen that plugs into the front connector or does it also impact the smaller unit that plugs in the back just below the screen?

I ordered the small one but it hasn't arrived yet. Will return or have Amex dispute charges if it impacts SW upgrades from Tesla and Hansshow plays dumb.

Update regarding disconnecting the protocol box:

DO NOT disconnect it! The main screen of the car started to flash, HVAC system stopped working and Autopilot features were disabled.

The rear screen went black also, totally dead.

So our hope in removing the little box is gone I am afraid. Connected it back and everything works now again without issues as far as I can see.

Question. Is the issue of the software upgrades solely on the large screen that plugs into the front connector or does it also impact the smaller unit that plugs in the back just below the screen?

I ordered the small one but it hasn't arrived yet. Will return or have Amex dispute charges if it impacts SW upgrades from Tesla and Hansshow plays dumb.

I would dare to say that this will affect it, because it sends signals to the car what to do. Same thing different place of connection. On the other hand the rear connection is known for having less issues but is also known for issues after updates when Tesla changes the code.

I would say don't even try it, dispute and return.

Forget any good service from Hansshow, they barely know what they are selling. They have sent me wrong manuals (manual for these things dosen't exist btw), wrong firmware claiming it needs an update and then saying "sorry wrong file" and after that simply ghosting me.

Forget the screen, life without it was way much more fun for me.

I would dare to say that this will affect it, because it sends signals to the car what to do. Same thing different place of connection. On the other hand the rear connection is known for having less issues but is also known for issues after updates when Tesla changes the code.

I would say don't even try it, dispute and return.

Forget any good service from Hansshow, they barely know what they are selling. They have sent me wrong manuals (manual for these things dosen't exist btw), wrong firmware claiming it needs an update and then saying "sorry wrong file" and after that simply ghosting me.

Forget the screen, life without it was way much more fun for me.

Thanks. I just wrote them an email ([email protected]) with a link to this thread. What I sent:

Hello,​
Please initiate a return and refund for this unit. I have been reading about the rear screen on various forums and your unit causes problems with software updates from Tesla. Your company has recommended to other users to not upgrade Tesla software. That is an absurd response. You should check out this well known forum that is discussing your unit:​
I have numerous other products from you and they have been very good (autofrunk for Model S, autofrunk for Model Y, tilt screen for Y, pilot light for Y) and have recommended as well as installed many of these for friends.​
I am not going to install this unit. Your reputation is being badly damaged by the way this issue is being handled. The problem will not go away. Your customers will.​