Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3/Y Rear Entertainment & Climate Control Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now to the next worry: Will Tesla push out new updates to us again or have they "caught" us and now locked us out from the software updates?

Long story short: A good friend of mine installed a Hansshow display in his M3 back in 2019. The screen did something so that he had no errors but Tesla could see them. They sent an update, he updated and got errors just like us. After the error he got no new updates for over 4 months. He called them and they said "we see that you got an error, and our logs say that you have tampered with the main computer". They demanded to check out the car at a local SC. So they did.

After two days he gets a call where they said "We need to change the main computer to restore functionality, and the cars warranty is voided including the battery warranty". He was shocked and said that he refused that and was happy with the version he had. Tesla said "Ok fine but we will diseable your car sooner or later since we demand to be able to update your car because of regulations and safety, enjoy it while you can".

Result: 8 000 dollars worth of repairs, and all warranty stripped of the car. They forced him to sign a document regarding voided warranties.

He owns it to this day since no one wants to buy a car with zero warranty on the battery.

Interesting. So maybe the update debacle is isolated to the big screen. Anyone k Le who actually makes them?
Regarding who makes them... Probably a Chinese manufacturer who produce noname products for the market. Hansshow seems to be the "ambassador" for the screens as every reseller I've spoken to the last week have said "We will reach out to Hansshow regarding these issues".

Unfortunately Hansshow is by far THE WORST company I've dealt with regarding support and warranty. They just don't care and know nothing about the screen or its issues.

Has anyone been able to update the software in the screen?

I've plugged in an USB via a USB C OTG adapter to the screen with the update file on it but nothing happens. Then I go through the menu and try to update that way nothing happens there either it just says "no update detected" or something like that when I press the version name.

The fact is that no USB is detected at all when I connect it and look at the filemanager. So I cant even transger files to this darn thing.

This is my current version:

Attachments

• 20221112_082048.jpg
    20221112_082048.jpg
    651.3 KB · Views: 122
I'm fed up with this screen.

I will attempt to do a mod where we disconnect it from the car, find out what voltage it needs and make a 12v plug adapter that runs the screen without the HVAC functions that I can live without. Auto On/Off should work as the 12v plug turns on and off as the car locks/unlocks.

I have no idea if it will work but might be worth a try.

As of now not even the update for the screen works.

HUGE WARNING!!!!

Updated the screen, everything went black! The car got bricked HVAC stopped working speakers also. Car went into limp mode. Rear screen is dead. Did everything with the wires and it did not help. Unplugged box and screen from the harness and it did not help.

I was forced to disconnect the harness from computer and now the car works.

This screen can go to hell where it belongs. It is pure cancer for your car. Remove it and return it if possible.

If you unplugged box and screen from the harness and nothiing worked until the harness was actually removed, then maybe a harness issue.

No everything was connected and worked, plugged in different USB stick that worked. Updated the screen and after update was complete screen went black and the car went crazy.

After that I disconnected the screen and box, did the cutting and connecting of the cables with no chsnge. Removed entire harness and car works now as far as I see.

I received and installed the small screen. I like how it fits - super integrated. I like the fact the screen can control the front passenger seat and most functions work except for 2 items which may be software related. First, the new screen allows control of the rear heated seats but none of the settings synchronize on the OEM main screen. Second, the temp does nothing. When adjusting the temp on the rear screen it displays as moving up and down but actually does nothing. Changing the temp on the OEM screen does synchronize the rear screens numbers. I've reached out to HS but so far no response. Honestly I suspect I may not get an answer from them and just have to hope the manufacturer updates the firmware.

I received and installed the small screen. I like how it fits - super integrated. I like the fact the screen can control the front passenger seat and most functions work except for 2 items which may be software related. First, the new screen allows control of the rear heated seats but none of the settings synchronize on the OEM main screen. Second, the temp does nothing. When adjusting the temp on the rear screen it displays as moving up and down but actually does nothing. Changing the temp on the OEM screen does synchronize the rear screens numbers. I've reached out to HS but so far no response. Honestly I suspect I may not get an answer from them and just have to hope the manufacturer updates the firmware.

The sync to the front screen is like that and cant be fixed. Simply put the small screen cant change and control data on the Tesla screen. That would be too invasive on the system. So you have to live with that.

Regarding adjustment of the heating that part worked great on mine until it bricked everything.

Update from Shiva Sapkota on the messed up update that killed the screen and bricked my car:

"I haven't heard back from Hansshow. I have another subscriber in the same situation and he is waiting for response as well. At this point, I would say the best course of action is to remove the wiring and just re-install Tesla wires and seek refund from all sources (your bank, Hansshow etc). I will keep pushing Hansshow to refund. There is a newer version of this display that is coming out next month and hopefully that one doesn't have the update issue. I know you really like this display but that V2 version seems to be even better (so hopefully you are able to return this one and get the new one when it comes out).

Unfortunately I do not have any further insight than what PimpMyEv shared with me. Your car is not bricked though, as I said before, you can simply remove this accessory and your car should work like before. I am really sorry about all these issues, I am trying my best to contact these companies and get you all an answer.

Thank you"

Last edited:
Positive update!

My engineer buddy managed to start the screen from 12v DC power. The problem is the protocol box that did not send a 3.8V CAN BUS signal to start the screen after the update.

So the RED cable is the signal and the screen needs 3.8v from the red to turn on.

We will put a 12v plug now that is safe and cant void any warranties.

He found quite some last-resort solutions they've made and he is not impressed. The worst thing is that the screen cuts out all power instantly to it when it turns off.

He said thats like unplugging your computer from the wall every time you turn it off. It will kill the screen way earlier than otherwise.

This mod does not need the protocol box or harness.

This is where my adventure with this screen stops hopefully. It fully works besides HVAC.

Next challenge will be to hide the cable from the 12v plug in the console back to the screen.

Attachments

• 20221113_101544.jpg
    20221113_101544.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20221113_120740.jpg
    20221113_120740.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Update from Tesla regarding failed software updates.

I have disconnected everything that has to do with the screen. Yet the car gives internal autopilot errors. These errors are not visible to me as a fault with the car but they could see them at their end. My AP works great with zero errors and issues, so that's always positive I guess. They said "these are probably errors due to the failed update and everything should work once we push a new update to you". I surely hope so because that screen could have damaged something permanently otherwise.

Update from Tesla regarding failed software updates.

I have disconnected everything that has to do with the screen. Yet the car gives internal autopilot errors. These errors are not visible to me as a fault with the car but they could see them at their end. My AP works great with zero errors and issues, so that's always positive I guess. They said "these are probably errors due to the failed update and everything should work once we push a new update to you". I surely hope so because that screen could have damaged something permanently otherwise.
GREAT NEWS!!!! Like you I was in the same boat with my Tesla update failing, but just minutes ago Tesla pushed another update thru 2022.40.4.1 and it updated successfully, that is with the screen completely disconnected and the car is back to stock.

With respect to the small screen and the sync problems I noted in a previous post, Hansshow did get back to me and acknowledged the problem. They said they will have their software engineer look at it. After a couple of days without follow up, I asked them for a timeline. I asked them 3 times before they responded and they replied maybe 2 months. Not sure I feel so reassured but at the same time it's kind of matches their reputation for customer service. As much as I think this small screen is nice overall I would recommend not buying it until the bugs noted are fixed. The issue noted seems to be consistent as others have experienced the same problems. Oddly, Hansshow was unaware of their own products problems until I pointed it out. This tells me that they don't do enough testing, if any at all, before they start selling products they find.

Reactions: Mulkogi