Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S, Bad Charge Port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my new 75D on December 22, at which point I did not have a home charger set up. For a three weeks I was using SemaConnect stations (J1772) and a couple of SuperChargers.

Every time, connecting was fifteen or twenty minutes of frustration, jiggling the handle, plugging in and pulling it out, changing charge stations, etc. A couple of people told me this much difficulty was not normal, that recently many new Model S's are having charge port problems. (No one at Tesla ever confirmed that last part, however.)

So, I took the car to Tesla (also because the voice recognition had quit working). The service people pretty quickly fixed the voice recognition with a replacement switch on the steering wheel, and after a day of testing, they ordered in a new charge port.

In three days I had the car back and it's like a new experience--plug in and I get the green light immediately. And, my range anxiety has dissipated!

TL;DR: If you're having trouble charging a new Model S, take it back for a new charge port.