Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model S is coming sooner than we all think

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check any inventory listing. Ev-cpo etc.
6 cars. Seems fishy they have completely depleted their entire Model S inventory.

True, cars could be in route to their destinations.....just sayin
You realize they have historically pulled inventory a number of times for a variety of reasons, right?

So if you’re using that as the indicator of a refresh, it is not a good one.

Fake news

This. Every time the MS/MX Tesla Inventory goes low, there's always someone that shouts "ooh ooh ooh a refresh is coming, a refresh is coming!!"

And yet, a refresh never really comes.

It's very well known that Tesla front loads cars in the quarter for European and overseas markets, so they can get those cars made and delivered in the quarter. Cars for the US market are made towards the end of the quarter, since they can be delivered must faster.

That doesn't mean that a new Model S or X isn't coming (it will someday)... but watching the inventory levels is NOT an indicator. It cycles up and down just like this quarterly -- like clockwork.

And the opposite also happens,... when Tesla has hundreds of cars in their inventory, someone says "ooh ooh ooh a refresh is coming, a refresh is coming!!" and claim that Tesla is loading up and shipping out all their "old" inventory to make room for the refreshed version. So high inventory, low inventory or whatever, anyone can draw any conclusion (or make up any story) they want to. Look up "Confirmation Bias".

Not happening. I can't count how many times this has happened and what did we gain from it? NOTHING. Even though there's still a small thought (very small) in the back of my mind saying a refresh is coming but I've been thinking that since 2016 haha! I thought it was perfectly normal for the inventory levels to fluctuate like this.

Reactions: EV-CPO
Check any inventory listing. Ev-cpo etc.
6 cars. Seems fishy they have completely depleted their entire Model S inventory.

True, cars could be in route to their destinations.....just sayin
That’s literally how the inventory game works. Cars come and go, not necessarily sold, just removed. Why? No one knows. But it’s been happening since the launch of the used car/cpo sales

Reactions: EV-CPO
Just remember that Tesla updates their car line several times a month. So when someone says, "New car coming...!!!" Well, yeah. Every week. I'm getting a new Model S in a couple weeks. Do I get the old version or the new? And will it matter in another month?

Yes! I remember Elon saying that they make tons of changes to the cars a week. So technically everyone's car has different parts/materials. Who knows they could've tweaked the parking sensors over 5 times since a car that was produced 12 days ago.

During my periods of car searching in UK watching inventory you would see the same cars drop off lists and then reappear at higher price only to dissappear again.....

When I finally picked a CPO 2018 MS and paid deposit, after 2 months Tesla still hadn't been able to raise final invoice, even when I was at my collection appointment. It appeared to be something to do with a systems migration gone bad. I ended up getting a different car because they couldn't give me a date for invoicing the original one. Apparently no CPO cars could be invoiced. Then I noticed CPO inventory drop to nothing. Just a couple of 2014 cars. Just last week the inventory suddenly filled out again, and the 2018 car I originally tried to buy was back on the list.

So absolutely what's visible on inventory lists at any given time doesn't seem to amount to a clear story about anything.

Last edited:
Tesla has always released model changes with little or no warning.

Doing that has usually allowed Tesla to avoid the demand cycles other manufacturers see at the beginning and end of model years.

Changes to battery packs/range and motors are happening continuously - and as soon as Tesla has the technology ready, they'll introduce it into new vehicles - and usually that happens shortly before or shortly after the changes have been put into production.

As for a major interior refresh - it still seems mostly likely for this to happen when Tesla is ready to combine the S/X production into a single line at Fremont, which would free up a production line for a different model (Cybertruck?).

It would make sense for Tesla to consolidate the S/X designs more, with more common components, to increase manufacturing efficiency.

And when they do that, we'll likely have little or no warning when this change happens.

So we could see a major interior/exterior refresh any time or it could be years - and they'll just keep building roughly the same S/X and focus new development on higher volume/revenue vehicles...

Reactions: CraZ8
Standard end of quarter inventory drain. Will take them some time to refill.

As @thegruf said, we are expecting the tri-motor version at some point. I'm also expecting a bump to 120kWh battery in the next 2 years (prior to CT production). Depends on whether they can get Plaid performance out of the 100kWh battery or if they need more cells. Roadster needed 200kWh to get the desired discharge rate per cell.