Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S January 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless there's an official announcement (in writing, at an event, by Musk, on the website, ...), any information provided by Tesla staff has generally been unreliable - while Tesla staff try to be helpful, they may provide their personal opinion on what's going to happen - and not the official plans.

Except for new vehicle reveals (which are typically done 1-2 years prior to production), Tesla usually doesn't announce model changes until they are ready to put them into production. Even though this introduces some challenges in dealing with customers who've recently purchased vehicles or have vehicles on order, this strategy has avoided the cycles the other manufacturers see when customers hold off until a new model year.

Battery Day may or may not live up to hype. If they are announcing any S/3/X/Y model changes, those will likely be introduced immediately into production - unless it's for a specialized version - such as a very high-end ultra performance model, that could be months away from production - and pre-announcing that would have minimal impact on Tesla's near term sales.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
... I think it will be strictly about batteries and no surprises about updated interior/exteriors. ...
Things that are overdue for update besides plaid version:
1. Tesla Semi
2. Roadster
3. Model 3 heat pump and more
4. Model Y single motor version
Battery related:
1. Will there be any range updates?
2. Charging speed updates?
3. Million mile battery?
4. Trends and costs over time.
5. Density improvements

My speculations:
* 112.5 kWh (18-module, 450V) battery
* Improved pack cooling during Ludicrous/Plaid usage or Supercharging
* Maybe new cell chemistry for longer lifespan (more charge cycles)

An 18-module battery would allow for 12.5% faster charging (more cells) even without a chemistry change, with a chemistry change maybe even 20% to 25% faster.
More cooling is obviously needed to tackle hot laps around the 'Ring, if that's still a thing.

IMO- a 500 mile Plaid car that is faster than Lucid that you can order today is not mind blowing. The car is already late and needs more than 100kw for acceleration anyway.
I think there will be lots of battery talk - none of which get us much today. The markets might like it but I don't see any practical car altering mind blowing announcements.
Heat pumps, single motor Y, updates on already discussed models - sure.
I think if Tesla had ramped up battery production considerably - like to deliver some major new thing today- we would know about it.

Except Elon has already confirmed many times that the Plaid version is coming. Previous date Elon tweeted was this summer, so it is already late.
And Elon said you'll be able to summon your car from New York to Los Angeles sooner than people think, so what? Elon says a lot of thing, he might say more such things on battery day, it doesn't mean any of it will come true in our lifetimes. People need to learn to judge Elon's achievements on what he actually delivers, not what he says he will deliver "soon".

PS> Are you excited about the Software Development Kit Elon for third parties to develop apps for Tesla MCU? Elon said in 2013 it's just around the corner, so we must be close, no?

And Elon said you'll be able to summon your car from New York to Los Angeles sooner than people think, so what? Elon says a lot of thing, he might say more such things on battery day, it doesn't mean any of it will come true in our lifetimes. People need to learn to judge Elon's achievements on what he actually delivers, not what he says he will deliver "soon".

PS> Are you excited about the Software Development Kit Elon for third parties to develop apps for Tesla MCU? Elon said in 2013 it's just around the corner, so we must be close, no?

The primary difference is that an SDK and driverless summon haven't been caught testing prototypes in the wild like Plaid has, the former are mostly wishes that I think they once had and since have lost in the backlog.

I find Tesla runs into the 80/20 rule a lot when designing their software. That is the notion that 80% of the work only takes 20% of the time whereas the last 20% of the work will take 80% of the time.

There are A LOT of corner cases and nuances that need to be considered before things like level 5 autonomy can be fully realized. I don't think it's something that is likely to happen anytime soon and I feel the rate of feature development is quickening.

The primary difference is that an SDK and driverless summon haven't been caught testing prototypes in the wild like Plaid has, the former are mostly wishes that I think they once had and since have lost in the backlog.
Hmm.... so driverless summon (which is level 5 FSD as sold in 2016) is not done because it got lost in the backlog? Better not let the people who paid thousands for FSD of dollar hear that.

FSD was such a terrible name to call Autopilot, i know in Elon’s mind they are close to achieving full autonomy but in reality they aren’t.
I don't think this was an accident. It was named Full Sales Driving to hype up sales. Many people would not have paid thousands of dollars in 2016 if they knew what will actually be delivered by when. People who leased a vehicle in 2016 and paid for FSD, got absolutely nothing over EAP by the time their lease ended (and they could have bought FSD at a discount during that time in one of the end-of-quarter fire-sales), and yet their FSD depreciated over that time - regardless of Elon's attempt to try to convince people that cars with FSD appreciate, the Tesla trade-in and leasing departments refuse to agree with that and adjust the trade-in/residual values to reflect the appreciation Elon talks about.

i suspect new Model S Plaid version will be in the $135k range. And will be faster than the recent lucid air results.

Close!

Attachments

• 756709FB-2799-45ED-B51A-975B881A56E6.png
    756709FB-2799-45ED-B51A-975B881A56E6.png
    383.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Has anyone seen this C&D article from 9/18? It references a new version of Model S and V4 charging. Plus, they got a range of 422 miles out of their MS LR+!

Tesla Tells Us How It Keeps Beating Nearly Everyone in Range Game
For those not wanting to read the entire article, it basically says that Tesla achieves their higher than competition range via:
  1. tight vertical integration
  2. allowing customers to push the batteries to their limits, allowing Tesla to advertise and sell almost 43% more range than they are willing to cover under warranty

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.