Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S roof rack from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The product info says you can mount up to 6 skis. Although I haven't tried it on mine, I think you could easily mount 5 sets of skis.

The roof rack has a 150 lb weight limit so I don't see why you can't mount 3 bikes on top eg 3 WB200 bike mounts.

Yakima Whisbars are on the roof and look Awesome. Now, I know that is no reason to buy them, but they make the car look totally tough and ready and sleek. I have yet to buy any ski or bike or roof box attachments, so the bars are currently an ormnament. Mileage from Boston to NYC seemed unchanged or a few wh higher. Hard to tell which means it wasn't a huge difference. Honestly, these bars make the car look amazing. And I know that is meaningless. And I love it.

Reactions: Btr_ftw
Yakima Whisbars are on the roof and look Awesome. Now, I know that is no reason to buy them, but they make the car look totally tough and ready and sleek. I have yet to buy any ski or bike or roof box attachments, so the bars are currently an ormnament. Mileage from Boston to NYC seemed unchanged or a few wh higher. Hard to tell which means it wasn't a huge difference. Honestly, these bars make the car look amazing. And I know that is meaningless. And I love it.

How is the wind noise? I bought the Whisbar rack from a local rack company. They retrofitted some fit packs but even without any attachments the wind noise seems excessive and the pads conflict with the attachment point covers.

Also note that both Yakima and Thule also provide roof rack fits for the Model S.

Yakima for Panoramic roof fit points:
Control Tower (#8000214)
58" Crossbars ((#8000409)
Landing Pad 11 (#8000233)

Thule for Panoramic roof fit points:
AeroBlade
Thule Rapid Podium Foot Pack 460R
Thule AeroBlade load Bar Pair ARB53
Thule Fit Kit KIT3130
Traditional (my preference)
Thule Podium Foot Pack 460
Thule 58 Load Bar Pair LB58
Thule Fit Kit KIT3130

Pleas verify this information before you purchase these items. I much prefer the standard load bars to the 'aero' variety. I have no affiliation with Thule, or Yakima other than I own a Thule rack, and love it.

www.thule.com
www.yakima.com

Thanks for the detailed info! Out of curiosity, why do you prefer the standard over the "aero"?

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing wrong with appreciating aesthetics! :)

Thanks for the detailed info! Out of curiosity, why do you prefer the standard over the "aero"?

They are smaller, less visually obtrusive. In the past the standard racks had much higher load limits, and were much higher build quality (I believe the 'aero' bars are now on par with the standard bars). They also are plastic coated (versus bare aluminum) making them better for hauling things without an attachment. And you can put the nicer bike attachments on them without large bulky 'aero' adapters.

Got mine a couple weeks back. :)
Looks good.

7a8y2uqu.jpg

Got ours put on yesterday at the Rockville MD SC, and they said we are the first in the DC area to install one. It does look great and this rack is part of the reason we went with the pano roof. We have had a family car with sunroof and roof rack for quite a few years, and we use a Thule pod to expand our carrying capacity on road trips for vacations, so this was an essential aspect for us. We did two trips totaling a few hundred km this weekend, and were besting the rated consumption at 105-120 km/hr, so no significant effect on consumption. I'm sure that will change when we get the fully loaded Thule up there. The wind noise is definitely noticeable, particularly with the pano roof open, but it probably is less than it would be with a less aerodynamic rack. And the rack can be fairly easily removed when not needed, after unlocking the foot mechanisms.

Interesting sidelight: the Tesla site pointed us to Hudson Trail Outfitters as suppliers of the Whispbar rack. But their local store and their web site agree that the Whispbar aero rack is incompatible with the Tesla Model S!? Whispbar would have liked to sell us a rack that extends beyond the footpoints to give extra width, but we didn't want that. We found that our local SC had the aero rack and could put it on for us while fiddling with the "creaking" noise in our pano roof. Both were accomplished successfully and the slight wind noise sure beats the "creaking", now completely gone!

Has there been any conversation about Thule creating a rack mount that fits the same mount that the Pano/Whispbar system is using? I ask because I'm neck deep in Thule components already for my SUV (bike racks, ski racks, cargo box, locks) and would love to stay mono-brand and cross-use the components across vehicles!

Also note that both Yakima and Thule also provide roof rack fits for the Model S.

Yakima for Panoramic roof fit points:
Control Tower (#8000214)
58" Crossbars ((#8000409)
Landing Pad 11 (#8000233)​
Thule for Panoramic roof fit points:
AeroBlade​
Thule Rapid Podium Foot Pack 460R
Thule AeroBlade load Bar Pair ARB53
Thule Fit Kit KIT3130​
Traditional (my preference)​
Thule Podium Foot Pack 460
Thule 58 Load Bar Pair LB58
Thule Fit Kit KIT3130
Pleas verify this information before you purchase these items. I much prefer the standard load bars to the 'aero' variety. I have no affiliation with Thule, or Yakima other than I own a Thule rack, and love it.

www.thule.com
www.yakima.com

Both have Tesla Model S in their fit guides. Thule has the 2014 Model X in their guide, but no fit!

Great info here, since I have the Thule 460R with AeroBlade bars on my Audi Q7, I went to simply buy the Fit kit 3130. But alias, Thule.com noted that the kit was not ready and they would send me an e-mail when they would ship, will update as I hear more. If anyone knows different pls chime in.