Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y vs Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think upgrading from a 2019 Model 3 SR+ to a new Model Y makes sense?

I would like more room in general and a quieter, smoother ride.

How is the ride quality and general NVH in new production Model Y's?

Reactions: Jane4
Do you think upgrading from a 2019 Model 3 SR+ to a new Model Y makes sense?

I would like more room in general and a quieter, smoother ride.

How is the ride quality and general NVH in new production Model Y's?
Just bought a 2023 MY LR, w/enhance autopilot, it replaced a 2018 M3 Mid Range, w/enhanced autopilot. We wanted more room and a longer range, It fills those needs very well. The MY ride is a bit firmer than M3, but really more to my liking. The upgraded computer is helpful, no waiting for the side cameras to appear when backing out. The MQ garage door is better than the Home Link if your garage opener supports it. It seems a bit quieter but that is subjective. The dual motor has better acceleration, pretty useless but so cool.

What I miss is the auto parking as I wait to see when they release it for the non-sensor cars. The MY still has "phantom braking" but it seems a little less abrupt that the M3 (again subjective).

All things considered, I am happy with the swap.

Ride in MY performance is slightly stiffer by most accounts. I just took home a 2023 MYLR from the Austin factory.. The ride isn't comparible to world class luxury sedans where you barely ever feel a bump or even know one exists, but the I would be comparing the ride to a much lighter ICE luxury car of about the same size. EVs seldom reach the levels of these cars due to the sheer weight of the battery pack over the suspension. Expectations should be adjusted accordingly.

I'm not saying the ride is in any way uncomfortable, but if you go over a fairly large bump, it won't be unnoticed. TBH since I drove the demo before I bought a car this was my expectation. I really bought the car because it has a decent ride, amazing range compared to others, very nice acceleration even in the MYLR version of the car. And ROOM. Lots of room. In fact more room than anything else in this class....and of course, Tesla charging infrastructure.

Purchased an M3P in December and love it so much, today I cancelled an order for a "premium luxury" legacy automaker product that I've waited for the last 2 years for.

About to jump into another Tesla.

Same dilemma - M3, or MY.

Leaning towards performance - which there are none around Chicago in the Y trim.
Don't really care much about the extra space but it would be nice I suppose.

What's holding me off is the fact that my nephew has a '22 MYP and hates it.
When I drive it - I think it sounds clunkier than my '23 M3P. Kind of like things are loose in the back
He's telling me that since - suspension got upgraded tho . Is that true?

Purchased an M3P in December and love it so much, today I cancelled an order for a "premium luxury" legacy automaker product that I've waited for the last 2 years for.

Leaning towards performance - which there are none around Chicago in the Y trim.

When I drive it - I think it sounds clunkier than my '23 M3P. Kind of like things are loose in the back
Go drive a MYP at Tesla (or borrow your nephews if he/she lives close) - the new 23's have a bit softer ride. Also, all SUV without a truck will sound "boomy", as they do not have the dedicated truck compartment that buffers in the noise. Took me a month or so switching from a sports coupe to a SUV a couple of years ago.

Everyone's opinion will be different on ride quality. I test drove the 23' MYP for about 45 minutes - much smoother than my 21' Acrua RDX Aspec SHawd for comparison. Even with the 20" wheels with 255/45 high profile stock tires - suspension is firm. In comparison the MYP is more planed and with the 21" wheels and low profile tires - handles much better (especially around corners). But I prefer a stiffer ride, coming from several sport coupes with very stiff suspension.

Room and sitting up higher is the major differences. Rear seat room where you don't have to duck to get in the back seat if you are taller than 5'10" and much more cargo room. Both are very efficient and have the same aero coefficient. The MYP is slightly slower than the M3P, but both are super fast by any standard.

Go drive a MYP at Tesla (or borrow your nephews if he/she lives close) - the new 23's have a bit softer ride. Also, all SUV without a truck will sound "boomy", as they do not have the dedicated truck compartment that buffers in the noise. Took me a month or so switching from a sports coupe to a SUV a couple of years ago.

Everyone's opinion will be different on ride quality. I test drove the 23' MYP for about 45 minutes - much smoother than my 21' Acrua RDX Aspec SHawd for comparison. Even with the 20" wheels with 255/45 high profile stock tires - suspension is firm. In comparison the MYP is more planed and with the 21" wheels and low profile tires - handles much better (especially around corners). But I prefer a stiffer ride, coming from several sport coupes with very stiff suspension.

Room and sitting up higher is the major differences. Rear seat room where you don't have to duck to get in the back seat if you are taller than 5'10" and much more cargo room. Both are very efficient and have the same aero coefficient. The MYP is slightly slower than the M3P, but both are super fast by any standard.
Thanks for the write up.
I am too very used to stiff, sporty rides and so the M3P "choppy ride" doesn't bother me at all.
(I do admit - I miss my last car's brilliant magneride suspension tho)

In the end - I'm leaning towards another M3P. There's just the two of us empty nesters now, and while the extra room and ease of entry may be a slight benefit, the model availability is a factor ( no MYP as far as I can see in stock - I'm impatient )

Reactions: Evpowerdan

If you were going to buy a CTS-5 Blackwing, why not consider a Model S LR or even Plaid?

I wanted the BW for the 6-speed manual, and the crazy supercharged HP combination.
While Plaid is appealing, it lacks the 6MT and the growl,
And,
I'll have 2 M3P's for the same money :p
Wow - thats a performance garage!

Should have waited for the BW - 6spd and engine noise - that will be super rare in a couple of years. I miss rowing through the gears and good engine noises too. Though - my 2-wheel addiction gets me both of those.

Wow - thats a performance garage!

Should have waited for the BW - 6spd and engine noise - that will be super rare in a couple of years. I miss rowing through the gears and good engine noises too. Though - my 2-wheel addiction gets me both of those.
Yes - I know I'll regret it, but the dealership experience and general ignorance was just too much
They delivered ONE (1) BW since early 2022.

I wanted the BW for the 6-speed manual, and the crazy supercharged HP combination.
While Plaid is appealing, it lacks the 6MT and the growl,
And,
I'll have 2 M3P's for the same money :p
I was looking at it from the cost perspective. MSLR costs a little less, while the Plaid a little more, but both in the same general price range of the CTS-5 BW.

Two M3Ps is nice, but if it was me I’d enjoy a little more variety. That’s why we didn’t end up with two Model Y’s even though I love my MYP and consider it the best in its class.