Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MYP tire squeak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2022 MYP made 12/2021 had the same exact noise when new. Noise vanished around 5,000 miles. Other threads in model y forum say this is a sticker on the wheel Which protrudes out and rubs against something. One person took car to tire shop which saw the sticker. Eventually sticker gets shredded. I thought it odd a sticker could sound like a ball bearing rattling around.
I took car to service center & lead mechanic rode with me. He heard it. Said he would have to compare to other cars to see if it is normal Or not. Later, technicians said they could not hear any noise or reproduce in the shop. I told them perhaps noise comes when car is driven. They said they could not reproduce. I picked up car and it made those noise with every revolution of wheel as I drove down the driveway at service center. I laughed. i waited a few months before making another appointment. That’s when the noise started to decrease in intensity and about a few months later vanished.

Last edited:
It's the barcode sticker on the bead of the tire. Nothing to be done. Every tire has it, but it makes noise on our cars due to the "stretched" style of the sidewall, causing the sticker to shift a little on the wheel each time the tire is flexed by the road.

I had the same problem on an older Volvo of mine with skinny tires, but a wide wheel.

The sticker is basically molded into the bead, but can be shaved down with an abrasive wheel in the shop if it's really bothersome. Should go away though with time.

Am I experiencing the same issue? Sure sounds very similar. You can hear it around the 4 and 9 second mark. Though I have done 13,500 on my tires. Its been happening for a while and I finally decided I need to do something about it.

Am I experiencing the same issue? Sure sounds very similar. You can hear it around the 4 and 9 second mark. Though I have done 13,500 on my tires. It’s been happening for a while and I finally decided I need to do something about it.
yes, sounds exactly like manufacturer barcode sticker causing noise, tesla will take it off for you. Well that is what mobile tech told me last month at a tesla owners club meetup in Santa Clarita, California. Also I assume any tire shop can but tesla might do it for free.

Reactions: carpendj