Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Navigation Maps for Europe Rolling Out 2021.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does autopilot follow local speed limits or the TACC speed? I have my TACC set to ‘current speed’ when engaging but have never used autopilot through changing speed limits
Well, yes and no. I find that TACC alone ignores most but not all speed limit changes and AP makes most but not all changes.
if AP alone is set it works pretty much OK. If you go from TACC to AP it doesn’t but it might.
it’s just a tad random!

@VanillaAir_UK Thanks for the detailed response, I’m always interested in what’s going on behind the scenes and that was very informative.

Seems like similar systems with similar results in reality across the two divergent systems fo the particular example in the photograph, roads which effectively filter always caused the greatest issues, the next big problems is tight side streets where eager delivery drivers knock the signs through 90 degrees, no system can account for that.

For this reason i always have cruise set to the manually selected speed and i found the scroll wheel particularly good for this, the functionality of the tesla particularly with a percentage over the speed limit function seems really good but these little issues are the reality of using those systems and for now i prefer to be in control myself.

It does go to show how far away higher level (4 or 5) autonomous driving is from wide scale reality, it would realistically need a government approved map with all speed limits correct and verified before they could let it happen.

Reactions: Jez_GB
It depends on the road. I've never seen AP respond to a speed limit change (without me holding down the stalk to tell it to sync up) but others have.. AP happily lets me dial it up to 70 on 30mph roads (an experiment I'm not repeating!) but apparently on some roads it limits it.

I suspect it's down to the quality of the mapping, which is extremely variable.

It depends on the road. I've never seen AP respond to a speed limit change (without me holding down the stalk to tell it to sync up) but others have.. AP happily lets me dial it up to 70 on 30mph roads (an experiment I'm not repeating!) but apparently on some roads it limits it.

I suspect it's down to the quality of the mapping, which is extremely variable.
I thought I dreamt up overspeed. I have seen that on TACC and thought it did it once on AP. It was in a 40mph that used to be 60mph

Map update came through a few days ago on our X, not sure I can see/tell any difference.

51158332437_3d4b8f9404_c_d.jpg

There is an app called "Osmand" which is closer to the open street map data. I haven't used it for a few years. I recall it even records pot holes and lamps out etc. One aspect is you can become more involved in the project and update errors.