Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Navigation Maps for Europe Rolling Out 2021.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Snap. Rats :confused:
Update on the Update! At least as far as today's rain in Beds, Herts and Bucks are concerned, the wipers on Auto are now perfect.

Auto Parking started out but was aborted when the wife chose to walk behind the car. And it was doing so well...

Parking "eyebrows" in amber and red fully functional.

FSD norminal. Slow but smooth lane changing. It isn't phantom braking when the car responds to a kamikaze idiot. A better response would be the floor it and get the hell outta there.

Maps unrefreshed.

Did you see the map on the app or just in the car. Only asking as I'm away from home for 3 weeks and when I get back, it would be nice to have an up to date car as I'll be driving to High Wycombe almost straight away.

Last edited:
Did you see the map on the app or just in the car. Only asking as I'm away from home for 3 weeks and when I get back, it would be nice to have an up to date car as I'll be driving to High Wycombe almost straight away.
Orange download arrow symbol appeared at the top of the cars' screen next to Sentry while I was out. Once home & on wifi, the arrow turned green & it started.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
And, as the old bluesmen sang, I woke up this mornin' checked the app and no Nav update.

Went out to the car (garaged) and there was 2021.8-12875 updated as of today. And, although parked within a meter or two of the router, the WiFi was off and LTE bars had a line through them.

Weird. Gift horse dentition unexamined.

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel and Jez_GB
Hopefully that will be a nav update as I've got a good test run tomorrow that will show if they have updated some out of date speed limits.

Was able to give the latest EU-2021.8-12875 nav update a bit of a test. A mixed bag of results.

A319, Chobham to Ottershaw past Fairoaks, it now knows that this is a 50 - previously it was NSL. Ordinarily this road would be covered by visual speed limit detection, but as I recently discussed, there are a couple of places where it incorrectly picks up the speed limit from a side road which when the car realises that it has passed will briefly use the default map until it next picks up a visual road sign. This brief limit is now correct at 50.

M25 clockwise/M3 south intersection. This merge is a 50 for quite some distance. The car briefly picked up a 50, I think rather oddly from a lit speed limit indicator. It unfortunately then incorrectly reverted to 70 and remained. This merge has been a 50 for many years now and covered by average speed check.

A331 BVR from M3 J4 heading towards A31 Hogs Back. The initial few miles of this route was changed from national to 50 a few years back. It is also a NoA section. Even though that section of road is littered with 50 signs and repeaters they were completely invisible to the car. Previously this section of road was detected at NSL/70. Heading away from M3, the section of road is now correctly detected as 50. Again, visual speed limits are invisible. Returning towards M3 from NSL/70 back into the 50, the 50 is now correctly detected but not until well past the sign. TACC/AP speed limit remained on 70 so even if your car did slow for speed limit changes (ours doesn't - tested today on AP/NoA), based on behaviour seen, the car would remain exceeding the speed limit.

One final observation, for todays return journey, the car wanted to take me a completely different route than normal (it normally routes me via a shorter set of A roads rather than as today, a longer motorway route). Now, this may just have been traffic, but not really any different than normal, or it could be something else. I am doubtful of the nav update having any bearing as, my understanding is that routing is done off line so not dependent on my cars map. But its mightily coincidental. As we now have a long section of A road now reduced from 60 to 50, that may be enough to swing the time - I have actually done several 'race' in two cars simultaneously taking both routes and in real life, there is literally nothing in it with both cars pulling up pretty much within a few tens of seconds of each other.

Last edited:
Just for my understanding I get the benefits of AP but each time I see videos/forums of complaining about AP they are using this on normal city roads like above or A road. Is it not suppose to be only used on large dual carriage ways and motorways here in the UK and EU as it is not fully approved yet. If this is off topic happy to have it moved.

Is AP supposed to be only used on large dual carriage ways and motorways here in the UK and EU as it is not fully approved yet?
The navigation update package contains geolocated, directed speed limit information, which is shown in the car via Speed Assist independent of AP. It's the erroneous display of this and use of said information by AP that is the nuisance.

• Informative
Reactions: OddJob83