Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav/Map update EU-2023.20-14615

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@greentheonly reporting that a new nav/map data update for Europe is rolling out

Also TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker reporting quite a few cars getting the update.

Screenshot 2023-06-30 4.46.28 PM.png

It would be good if these updates brought auto-lane change on UK dual carriageways where it has been missing for years. Just never seems to happen though, probably some ancient EU database of major highway network being relied upon instead.
I think it's down to whether it's a restricted access road with slips.

If it has T junctions on it NoA won't work.

Eventual dualling of A11 carriageway to bypass Elveden for example, one continuous free-flowing route (aside from roundabouts near Thetford). Other regional urban dual carriageways too. Will find out shortly whether anything has changed, but doubt it.
I had in mind that it shuts off NoA just as you approach some T junctions as you travel north off the M11. It's usually a case of looking up the road type on OpenStreetMap.

It’s not just that Tesla auto-lane change doesn’t work on A-roads like motorways, it’s that it does for large parts of those, but not all, and often the sections that were dualled/upgraded later aren't supported. Which feels like mapping, but not OpenStreetMap (since I edit that myself), but the cheapest UK mapping provider… TomTom.

It’s not just that Tesla auto-lane change doesn’t work on A-roads like motorways, it’s that it does for large parts of those, but not all, and often the sections that were dualled/upgraded later aren't supported. Which feels like mapping, but not OpenStreetMap (since I edit that myself), but the cheapest UK mapping provider… TomTom.

I wish it was visible what parts auto lane change was available at, in similar way that it is obvious when NoA is available. I've given up with auto lane change unless its obviously available, eg during NoA sections.

But it is important to remember that that are several dual carriage way types, some of which may look similar, but potentially have different restrictions that Tesla may use to control what features are available, ie NoA or auto lane change. I suspect the biggest restriction will be whether the section of road is grade separated, ie whether there is any potential uncontrolled access to it, even if via a parking bay or even access from a farm etc, the latter not being obvious.

For those that know, A31, Hoggs back headng west just prior to a couple of junctions for Tongham and 331, there is a 'rogue' NoA section that briefly appears, before NoA sticks for the above two mentioned junctions. My suspicion is that majority of hogs back is deemed unsuitable due to parking laybys, house driveways or gaps in central reservation, but this 'rogue' section does not have these restrictions hence NoA is briefly enabled.

But of course, the underlying data might be wrong.

There is a big difference in standards between an A road and a motorway.

Even the biggest and busiest A roads which are fully dual carriageways have random T junctions, side roads and peoples driveways on them. A1, A14, A12, A11 all have issues at various places.

Some of the slip roads are also horrendous, even relatively new ones like the A11 example above. The slips for the Elvedon/centre parks junction are really very short. You’d struggle to get most ICE cars up to 60mph on the north bound entry slip without literally ragging the engine to its limits.

I hope they have fixed some of the dodgy speed data which impacts autopilot, I’m not exactly counting on it though.

what really bugs me is that sometimes car thinks that instead of motorway you end up on the some minor road nearby and drops the speed from 70 to 60 or even less.

and when tesla will realise that the slip roads, splits and mergers of motorways can still be 70 MPH?!

everytime I drive from M1 onto M42 (A42) or vice versa - it drops the speed limit from 70 to 60 for no reason