Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New navigation UI will negatively impact MX and MS owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...if you heed that advice and stay in the right-most lane, you'd miss the fork.

View attachment 241834 View attachment 241835
I really, truly am asking this out of all innocence: Were I to drive like it were waaaay back in, say, 2014, and heed the overhead traffic signs, would I not also miss that ridiculously-placed and -directed fork? Sure seems that way to me.

I really, truly am asking this out of all innocence: Were I to drive like it were waaaay back in, say, 2014, and heed the overhead traffic signs, would I not also miss that ridiculously-placed and -directed fork? Sure seems that way to me.
The problem is, it's no longer 2014, so everybody has decent navigators in their pockets (called smartphones) that help you.
The layout of this exit is not ideal, but it does exist and there are many more like it (and not obvious in other ways too I am sure) in different parts of the world and it's the navigator job to help you with them.

Near here I have a route that when I follow it, google maps literally tells me something like "use the left lane to stay right" or "keep left to stay right" or some such that really caught my attention first time I was driving it, but the road layout kind of made sense once I saw it.

Reactions: Blastphemy
Way back when iPhone was relatively new and you had to actually buy decent navigation software, I purchased Navigon. I didn't make the connection until this thread that the lane assistant was visually identical to Navigon. I suspect in switching the navigation map backend that they lose what is likely a licensed Navigon feature.

I find the lane assistant to be invaluable when I'm driving somewhere unfamiliar, especially in rush hour traffic. It isn't always clear from road markings or even navigation instructions which lane you need to be in and heavy traffic can make last minute changes difficult.

Granted it's not out yet and Tesla has time to correct this but this again feels like another one of the one step forward, two steps back moments that Tesla seems to be really good at...

I don't know what's so hard about the following basic premise... The introduction of new features/functionality should, at a minimum, include all of the existing features/functionality that came before... Why is that so hard Tesla?

Jeff

Reactions: Mknac
I find the lane assistant to be invaluable when I'm driving somewhere unfamiliar, especially in rush hour traffic. It isn't always clear from road markings or even navigation instructions which lane you need to be in and heavy traffic can make last minute changes difficult.

And the new Tesla nav does have "lane assist" it is just different, and much more subtle, than the Navigon version.

And the new Tesla nav does have "lane assist" it is just different, and much more subtle, than the Navigon version.

The problem here of course is that when you're in an unfamiliar area going with the flow of traffic, subtle equals time lost trying to figure it out which increases the chance you'll take the wrong lane/exit/direction which then gets you lost which takes time, etc... :)

Jeff

Well, it has a subset of what Navigon has.
I.e. it shows you a small diagram of what lanes to take, but in Navigon that also comes with a slider until you need to turn or take other action (also featured in the manual), see here (same exit - again, Navigon maps even while old are correct, ne maps are misleading):

exit2.png

... everybody has decent navigators in their pockets (called smartphones) that help you
That's cute.
Even worse, smartphone-navigating is a fine way to be distracted, bigly.

But my point was - howinhell is a non-local ever going to make that ridiculous exit correctly? There's one such in Anchorage (Muldoon off the Glenn), and "no one" gets it right the first time; and some not the 2nd or 3rd. I've long since decided those who finish last in their engineering classes find their careers in highway design.

• Funny
Reactions: vandacca
I see it as a step backwards on a navigation system that for the first time in years I actually prefer using over my phone.

I understand that the lane assist feature may not be for everyone, but I'd much rather just see the option to disable it like you can on the Navigon phone app. The lane assistance on the new nav is better than nothing, but still not as good as what we have today.

That's cute.
Even worse, smartphone-navigating is a fine way to be distracted, bigly.

But my point was - howinhell is a non-local ever going to make that ridiculous exit correctly? There's one such in Anchorage (Muldoon off the Glenn), and "no one" gets it right the first time; and some not the 2nd or 3rd. I've long since decided those who finish last in their engineering classes find their careers in highway design.

For this particular exit, I believe google maps instructs you to "take the second lane from the right, then take left at the fork".
This is good enough, don't even need to look at any screens.
"Take exit 383" or "use right two lanes to take exit 383" is not.

• Disagree
For this particular exit, I believe google maps instructs you to "take the second lane from the right, then take left at the fork".
This is good enough, don't even need to look at any screens.
"Take exit 383" or "use right two lanes to take exit 383" is not.
Everyone talks about how great Google maps voice directions are. Every time I have ever used it, she says "turn south on 'XXX ' road", to which I invariably yell back at her "if I knew which direction &$#@+&$ south was, I wouldn't need your &$@+&$ help, would I?":rolleyes:

Everyone talks about how great Google maps voice directions are. Every time I have ever used it, she says "turn south on 'XXX ' road", to which I invariably yell back at her "if I knew which direction &$#@+&$ south was, I wouldn't need your &$@+&$ help, would I?":rolleyes:
But that's just the very first instruction, before you start moving, you just look at the screen to see where the arrow points (it does not yet know where you are pointing before you start moving I imagine, hence the wording).
After that it's always left/right/straight relative to you. So not an issue at all in my view.

At around 2:17+ there's this graphic representation of what to do.
at 2:35 there's an exit that matches this picture perfectly, at the same time new style UI tells you to keep in the right two lanes, if you heed that advice and stay in the right-most lane, you'd miss the fork.

View attachment 241834 View attachment 241835

I don't like the little box with arrows. You have to concentrate on it. The current system is much easier.

This change is a step backwards for the what is supposed to be the most technological advanced car available. This feature is in every major automobile manufacturer and stand alone GPS units.

Replacing it with what is already being displayed on the larger center console just seems like an act of laziness by Tesla.