Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New navigation UI will negatively impact MX and MS owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First look at Tesla’s new maps and navigation engine

New navigation UI removes the lane assistance graphic in the dashboard with another road map.

I value this feature especially in areas where I am unfamiliar with the road. A quick glance at the dashboard graphic and I know what lane to be in.

This is a common feature in all major automobile company and stand alone Nav devices.

Losing this feature in the most technological advanced car on the market is a step backwards.

If you value this feature contact Tesla and let them know you want the feature.

I wish Tesla would *ALWAYS* show the next event/action/turn on the dashboard display, rather than only displaying such information when you are close to a turn. It seems reasonable to always know, "What's next?" in any navigation display.

For example, when driving down the freeway, I would like to know whether I'm 2 miles or 100 miles from my next turn, and whether it's to the right or to the left. The console map shows that, but not the dashboard display.

Reactions: noahsw
I wish Tesla would *ALWAYS* show the next event/action/turn on the dashboard display, rather than only displaying such information when you are close to a turn. It seems reasonable to always know, "What's next?" in any navigation display.

For example, when driving down the freeway, I would like to know whether I'm 2 miles or 100 miles from my next turn, and whether it's to the right or to the left. The console map shows that, but not the dashboard display.
Well, since it's already displayed on the big screen, you just know if IC does not display anything, nothing to do soon, and you can glimpse to the bigger screen to see what's next.

Additionally you get audio warnings 2 miles away and then at one other point (on a highway at least)

I'm confused or seeing something others don't. I see a simple representation of the lanes, with a representation of the lanes with arrows for the lane or lanes to be in. Am I wrong? Is a big graphic of a similar intersection really that helpful? I guess I watch the road.

Reactions: FlyF4
New UI just shows a map, new help in telling you what lane to be.

I assume you meant "no help in telling you what lane to be".

But that isn't true is it? Doesn't it show which lane(s) you need to be in right at the bottom of the map/instruction? What it doesn't show is when no action is required. (In other words don't take the exit unless you are told to.)

Not sure what you are talking about. Around the 1:10 mark the current UI shows a map of the highway with arrows for the lanes to be in and the overhead signs. The new UI only shows a highlighted route.

Did I miss something?

Not sure what you are talking about. Around the 1:10 mark the current UI shows a map of the highway with arrows for the lanes to be in and the overhead signs. The new UI only shows a highlighted route.

Did I miss something?

Yes, the fact that it isn't telling you to do anything. The only thing you have to do is stay on the current road/highway until it says not to.

That is like a passenger repeatedly saying "turn, not here" at every exit/street. When you get to a point that you need to do something the new nav tells you what you need to do and what lane you need to be in. Look at 6:37. (It is harder to read on the new one because the camera angle has it almost off of the screen, the lighting/reflection is a lot worse, and the YouTube controls are over the top of it.)

Reactions: FlyF4
Yes, the fact that it isn't telling you to do anything. The only thing you have to do is stay on the current road/highway until it says not to.

That is like a passenger repeatedly saying "turn, not here" at every exit/street. When you get to a point that you need to do something the new nav tells you what you need to do and what lane you need to be in. Look at 6:37. (It is harder to read on the new one because the camera angle has it almost off of the screen, the lighting/reflection is a lot worse, and the YouTube controls are over the top of it.)
At around 2:17+ there's this graphic representation of what to do.
at 2:35 there's an exit that matches this picture perfectly, at the same time new style UI tells you to keep in the right two lanes, if you heed that advice and stay in the right-most lane, you'd miss the fork.

card.png fork.png

Last edited:
Hmm, I kinda like the new version instead. The huge lanes taking up the entire display is great but annoying at the same time as you can't really see what is next coming right up. The Tesla one (newer) will zoom in, you get a view of what is coming up and you still get the lanes somewhat if you notice at the bottom - the 5 arrows, with the two right ones highlighted. IMHO the drawings used by Navigon are not always accurate at all so it isn't a huge loss. I don't think you need to see a fake green sign with names on it and huge lane drawings as the more accurate view of the actual turn/curve approaching is more useful along with the arrows/lanes indicated at bottom (i.e. 2 on right of 6 are white stating be in those two lanes at a minimum). Plus, agree in that love the natural voice and non-repetiveness on new one of audio commands.

Reactions: jelloslug and BerTX
Hmm, I kinda like the new version instead. The huge lanes taking up the entire display is great but annoying at the same time as you can't really see what is next coming right up. The Tesla one (newer) will zoom in, you get a view of what is coming up and you still get the lanes somewhat if you notice at the bottom - the 5 arrows, with the two right ones highlighted. IMHO the drawings used by Navigon are not always accurate at all so it isn't a huge loss. I don't think you need to see a fake green sign with names on it and huge lane drawings as the more accurate view of the actual turn/curve approaching is more useful along with the arrows/lanes indicated at bottom (i.e. 2 on right of 6 are white stating be in those two lanes at a minimum). Plus, agree in that love the natural voice and non-repetiveness on new one of audio commands.

Why do you need to see what's next after the pending instruction? Can you show an example of where the lane graphic prevented you from planning for the next instruction? I've never experienced this.