TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

New navigation UI will negatively impact MX and MS owner

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by Mknac, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Mknac

Mknac Member

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Not following the argument. Use more words please.

• Funny x 2
  3. MasterT

MasterT Member

Yeah, let's assume whole bunch of stuff and right away get offended!

• Like x 1
  4. Mknac

Mknac Member

First look at Tesla’s new maps and navigation engine

New navigation UI removes the lane assistance graphic in the dashboard with another road map.

I value this feature especially in areas where I am unfamiliar with the road. A quick glance at the dashboard graphic and I know what lane to be in.

This is a common feature in all major automobile company and stand alone Nav devices.

Losing this feature in the most technological advanced car on the market is a step backwards.

If you value this feature contact Tesla and let them know you want the feature.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  5. Mknac

Mknac Member

See around the 1:10 mark in video.

New UI just shows a map, new help in telling you what lane to be.

6. carteriii

carteriii Member

I wish Tesla would *ALWAYS* show the next event/action/turn on the dashboard display, rather than only displaying such information when you are close to a turn. It seems reasonable to always know, "What's next?" in any navigation display.

For example, when driving down the freeway, I would like to know whether I'm 2 miles or 100 miles from my next turn, and whether it's to the right or to the left. The console map shows that, but not the dashboard display.

• Like x 1
  7. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

The UI much like the physical design of the model 3 is being developed for full self drive, Elon probably thought it would be farther along by now

8. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

Well, since it's already displayed on the big screen, you just know if IC does not display anything, nothing to do soon, and you can glimpse to the bigger screen to see what's next.

Additionally you get audio warnings 2 miles away and then at one other point (on a highway at least)

• Informative x 2
  9. ALLMYNE

ALLMYNE Member

then again who knows, maybe there will be 2 versions......one for M3 with single display and one for MS / MX with multiple displays

10. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

This is a given, but the S/X version is already there too and you can see it on the video. The version is "final" in a sense that it's already the main navigation UI in e.g. Taiwan.

11. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I'm confused or seeing something others don't. I see a simple representation of the lanes, with a representation of the lanes with arrows for the lane or lanes to be in. Am I wrong? Is a big graphic of a similar intersection really that helpful? I guess I watch the road.

• Like x 1
  12. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Well let's not grab our pitchforks just yet - it hasn't been officially released (except in Taiwan). But yes, I agree with the concerns being raised and I hope Tesla will respond before the official release on the S/X line.

• Funny x 1
  13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Always a good idea, and you can have the navigation voice directions on so you can hear what you need to do.

The new nav UI changes don't seem like a big deal to me. I'm okay either way,

• Like x 1
  14. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

I assume you meant "no help in telling you what lane to be".

But that isn't true is it? Doesn't it show which lane(s) you need to be in right at the bottom of the map/instruction? What it doesn't show is when no action is required. (In other words don't take the exit unless you are told to.)

15. Mknac

Mknac Member

Not sure what you are talking about. Around the 1:10 mark the current UI shows a map of the highway with arrows for the lanes to be in and the overhead signs. The new UI only shows a highlighted route.

Did I miss something?

16. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Yes, the fact that it isn't telling you to do anything. The only thing you have to do is stay on the current road/highway until it says not to.

That is like a passenger repeatedly saying "turn, not here" at every exit/street. When you get to a point that you need to do something the new nav tells you what you need to do and what lane you need to be in. Look at 6:37. (It is harder to read on the new one because the camera angle has it almost off of the screen, the lighting/reflection is a lot worse, and the YouTube controls are over the top of it.)

• Like x 1
  17. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

The voice command from the nav system seem to be much more natural and repeat the command much less often.

• Like x 1
  18. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

#18 verygreen, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    At around 2:17+ there's this graphic representation of what to do.
    at 2:35 there's an exit that matches this picture perfectly, at the same time new style UI tells you to keep in the right two lanes, if you heed that advice and stay in the right-most lane, you'd miss the fork.

card.png fork.png

• Like x 2
  19. travwill

travwill Active Member

Hmm, I kinda like the new version instead. The huge lanes taking up the entire display is great but annoying at the same time as you can't really see what is next coming right up. The Tesla one (newer) will zoom in, you get a view of what is coming up and you still get the lanes somewhat if you notice at the bottom - the 5 arrows, with the two right ones highlighted. IMHO the drawings used by Navigon are not always accurate at all so it isn't a huge loss. I don't think you need to see a fake green sign with names on it and huge lane drawings as the more accurate view of the actual turn/curve approaching is more useful along with the arrows/lanes indicated at bottom (i.e. 2 on right of 6 are white stating be in those two lanes at a minimum). Plus, agree in that love the natural voice and non-repetiveness on new one of audio commands.

• Like x 2
  20. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Why do you need to see what's next after the pending instruction? Can you show an example of where the lane graphic prevented you from planning for the next instruction? I've never experienced this.