Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's plans for Maine SCing seem pretty good at this point. If I read the map correctly, they plan for three SCs in the state at present:
  1. Kittery - probably the outlet mall, which is owned by Simon. Tesla and Simon have done a lot SC sites.
  2. Kennebunk/S Portland - possibly the I-95 rest area in Kennebunk, but hopefully the Maine Mall in S Portland.
  3. Bangor - likely the Bangor Mall, another Simon property.
I strongly agree that a SC along the Cape Cod Canal is important, or somewhere not too far along US 6 in Sandwich or so. Cape Cod is a charging wasteland currently. The E Greenwich SC is helpful for New Yorkers coming to the cape, but does nothing for people coming in on Rte 3 or I-495.

The West Lebanon-area SC is one of the lynchpins of the New England SC network. Assuming that that's going in, it would be great to see one in Concord/Hookset NH, bridging the distance from the greater Boston area.

I just bought my Tesla and I am in my very excited phase

FYI the very excited phase never ends - I took delivery March 6 last year, 14,000 miles ago :smile:

Also, Concord Manchester and Portsmouth seem to be destinations rather than charging sites, nicely bracketed by Worcester to the south and Lebanon, Plymouth or Portland to the north.

The Concord/Hooksett location would be on the way to both NH lakes and mountains up 93, and NH/VT up 89, supplemented by West Lebanon. A little close to Boston on the way up, but more useful on the way home - and a good next stop for those heading up to NH from CT/NY who might have charged at Sturbridge/Charlton on the way.

The Concord/Hooksett location would be on the way to both NH lakes and mountains up 93, and NH/VT up 89, supplemented by West Lebanon. A little close to Boston on the way up, but more useful on the way home - and a good next stop for those heading up to NH from CT/NY who might have charged at Sturbridge/Charlton on the way.

This is exactly right. It is a key branch point to everything. It isn't just a destination by any means. In fact, I would rank it as the most important gateway to northern New England.

Because of the cold weather, it is important to put superchargers closer together in northern NE.

Just sent this to [email protected] We need all the NE vacationers to do the same (but write your own letter ;-)), and maybe they will see that there is a great potential market here.

I just bought my Tesla and I am in my very excited phase, telling all my friends about it until it arrives in April. I have many friends who are possible buyers, but there is a consistent reason why they all say "no thanks." That is, the inability to travel to major destinations in New England. As you know Bostonians like to travel in the winter to ski, and in the summer to vacation. They ski in Northern VT, New Hampshire, the Berkshires and Maine. They summer in Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard, the northern lakes region, the Berkshires, and the coast of Maine.

The Tesla Supercharger network completely misses almost all of these destinations. Here are my suggestions:

1. Skiing in New Hampshire/summer in Lake Winnepesauke, Squam Lake: It is essential to have a supercharger for this purpose in TWO locations: 1. Concord, NH and West Lebanon, NH. Rumor has it that these are planned, but the map only shows West Lebanon. Without Concord, it is impossible to get up to the Lakes region and to North Conway, etc.

2. Cape Cod/MV/Nantucket: You definitely should put a supercharger in Cape Cod. Ideally, in either Woods Hole and Provincetown, or at or between the Bourne and Sagamore bridges.

3. Maine: Please ut a supercharger near Bar Harbor or Freeport.

4. The Berkshires. You definitely need a supercharger in Sturbridge to catch the westbound travelers AND to boost New Yorkers headed for the rest of New England. One in Springfield would also help.

Thanks for listening.
woo hoo. Reply from Tesla:
Thank you for your email and feedback. Our Northeast team is currently working hard to develop routes throughout New England as quickly possible. You will be happy to know that all of your suggested locations are currently on our radar and being worked on by our development team. Please stay tuned for upcoming announcements. You can also make any specific site suggestions here so that our developers can easily access the information.

We appreciate your enthusiasm and support of Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thanks,
Tesla Supercharger Team

For Maine I'd love to also see a Lewiston / Auburn location along 495.

In VT I think the Welcome Center on 91 south of Brattleboro would make the most sense down south. CT has a lot of coverage down south, but 84 and 91 could use some love. Maybe where they meet heard Hartford?

New England suggestions;
Mass: Worcester, Springfield and Dennis

VT: Brattleboro and Montpelier

NH: Portsmouth, Concord, Ashland and Conway

ME: Portland and Bangor

For Maine I'd love to also see a Lewiston / Auburn location along 495.

Not sure what you mean. I495 is the Falmouth spur between I295 and I95 a little north of Portland. Lewiston/Auburn is on the I95 Maine Turnpike. If there's a Maine Mall (South Portland) location and a Bangor location, I don't see much value in Lewiston/Auburn unless it's a ski traffic thing.

Something on Route 1 would definitely make sense. Belfast or Bucksport.

Typo. My bad. Meant 95.

Not sure what you mean. I495 is the Falmouth spur between I295 and I95 a little north of Portland. Lewiston/Auburn is on the I95 Maine Turnpike. If there's a Maine Mall (South Portland) location and a Bangor location, I don't see much value in Lewiston/Auburn unless it's a ski traffic thing.

Something on Route 1 would definitely make sense. Belfast or Bucksport.

Very unclear. Some have been there for months, eg Albany, perhaps due to local approval processes. Others like Aurora IL have popped up out of the blue without ever appearing as coming soon.

In other locations people local to the area have scouted likely locations for construction activity and/or have looked up local construction permit databases online. Or even spoke with likely landlords to find out what's going on. Check out discussions of other locations for examples.

It's great to see the Sturbridge/Charlton location being put back on the map, and one for the Cape too! Communicating with the Supercharger team at Tesla seems to be bearing fruit!

We still need one on 93 near Concord, NH or Hooksett, NH... My feeling is that Tesla does have one planned for that location but the renovations on the Hooksett rest area is just getting started so it may be a while until we get a firm commitment from Tesla...

Superchargers at new Hooksett, NH Rest Area? You decide...

Just received this response to a letter I wrote NH Governor Hassan several weeks ago...looks like the new Hooksett facility will include some type of electric charging stations--I presume these will be Superchargers:confused:

"Good Afternoon …

The developers of the Hooksett Welcome Center redevelopment project are committed to electric car charging facilities and plan on putting in place accommodations for future installations. This will be in addition to gasoline pumps which will also be added at both the northbound and southbound facilities.

Bill Boynton
NHDOT"

Just received this response to a letter I wrote NH Governor Hassan several weeks ago...looks like the new Hooksett facility will include some type of electric charging stations--I presume these will be Superchargers:confused:

"Good Afternoon …

The developers of the Hooksett Welcome Center redevelopment project are committed to electric car charging facilities and plan on putting in place accommodations for future installations. This will be in addition to gasoline pumps which will also be added at both the northbound and southbound facilities.

Bill Boynton
NHDOT"

Won't be done until April 2015 IF on time.

"Good Afternoon …

Bill Boynton
NHDOT"

I, as a LEAF driver, really would like to CHADEMO and J1772 alongside the supercharger. probably should do the SAE CCS too (for BMW i3 drivers).

I just 'emailed' the governor to suggest that NH take a model position on how to deploy EV infrastructure.

Last edited: