Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new Nissan EV with range extender in development

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting. I had missed that. Thanks for posting.

(Before someone else says it, yes, it's a plug-in series hybrid. Outside of TMC we call them EVs with range extenders. :smile:)
Unlike GM, Nissan does insist on using accurate terminology.
Here's what Yoshi Shimoida, Nissan’s deputy general manager for electric car engineering says in announcing this new system: "It’s something like that [range extender]. But we call it a series hybrid."

"EV with range extender" is accurate terminology; it's just not standard terminology.

I like "range extender". It's easy to understand for the layperson and accurately portrays an electrically powered car with a mechanism (ICE/generator) to extend it's range. I know people who couldn't tell you how a hybrid car works, let alone comprehend "series-hybrid".

I like "range extender". It's easy to understand for the layperson and accurately portrays an electrically powered car with a mechanism (ICE/generator) to extend it's range. I know people who couldn't tell you how a hybrid car works, let alone comprehend "series-hybrid".
Any time I talk to a lay person about an EV with a Range extender they always assume it has an "extra" battery. Not one of them has ever assume a range extender was a gas engine, when I point it out they ask "isn't that what a hybrid is?" which, amazingly enough, is correct!
I don't think you give lay people enough credit, they know what a hybrid is.

Any time I talk to a lay person about an EV with a Range extender they always assume it has an "extra" battery. Not one of them has ever assume a range extender was a gas engine, when I point it out they ask "isn't that what a hybrid is?" which, amazingly enough, is correct!
I don't think you give lay people enough credit, they know what a hybrid is.
The "Hybrid" can include many types of system. It could be a propane/gas hybrid.

Many of the electric/gas hybrids will be able to drive the wheels directly. A series hybrid will use the ICE to power the electrical drive unit. In this way you can focus on making the ICE efficient for electrical power generation.

The "Hybrid" can include many types of system. It could be a propane/gas hybrid.

Many of the electric/gas hybrids will be able to drive the wheels directly. A series hybrid will use the ICE to power the electrical drive unit. In this way you can focus on making the ICE efficient for electrical power generation.

The first gen Volt had both a series and a parallel hybrid mode. The latter more efficient on the highway. The gen 2 Volt dispensed with series hybrid mode. When the ICE is running, there are three parallel hybrid configurations.

The article says Nissan will only be using a series hybrid configuration - ala the i3. It will be interesting to see what the mpg is. Also with the Leaf around, I doubt Nissan needs any ZEV credits. So I would guess they won't be exploiting the "gas range = electric range" loophole that the i3 exploits with its tiny gas tank.

That seems like an odd assumption to make, but maybe the parallel are those little battery pack boosters you can get to top up your cell phone. The response I typically get is "oh, you mean like the Volt".
Yes, exactly, they think "like the volt" only they don't realise that the volt isn't a pure EV after all, GM spent years advertising the volt as an EV even long before it was released, they've never bragged about it's ICE