Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner —Worried

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! I really need your advice and forgivrpe this lengthy post. I have wanted a Tesla for so long and finally got mine last Saturday. I have been reading the threads and need some advice/reassurance, because my anxiety is preventing me from truly enjoying my new car.

(I’m still learning how to post here — posted this previously as a reply in another thread.

It's a Model 3 Standard Range Plus. I picked it up in St. Louis on Saturday. (That's where they found me one--I live in suburban Chicago). On my 295 mile trip home, I had to charge twice. I was really surprised by that. (Both were at Superchargers---which by the way took a really long time---as long as an hour).

Here were the conditions: Blinding rain, pretty cold (probably 40's), wipers and lights for much of the trip. Do those kinds of conditions really sap range? So much so that I needed to supercharge twice on a 295 mile trip?

Please, another example. I'm 28 miles from work. One day this week I started with my car displaying a range of 299 miles. It rolled off 40 miles on that 28 mile trip. Is that normal? (45 degrees, some drizzle, wipers for part of the trip --- and lights). Last night on the way home that 28 mile trip burned 35 miles.

Now---one last thing. I know this is controversial: I just really don't like the appearance of the aero covers or the gun-metal wheels below them. PLEASE DON"T FLAME ME ON THIS I paid extra for the 19" sport wheels because I just thought they look better. Are those really sapping my range? Or can someone reassure me that that number may be minimal? I've seen everything from 5% to 10% range reduction on the forums. I'm so worried I made a huge mistake.

Most of all everyone, I just want to start loving my car. This is all sort of hanging over me. I don't have range anxiety. I have "think about range all the time" anxiety.

Any and all advice/comfort you could offer would be very welcome. It is a beautiful car.

Thank you,
Phil Rogers
Chicago

What you are seeing seems normal. Heavy rain saps range as does short trips in cold temps. There are also many tests done showing the aero wheels(covers on) with the Primacy OEM tires provide about 10% more range than the OEM 19s.

You will never get the rated range, even with smaller wheels. If you think it’s bad now, wait until winter. You will lose over 40% range.

Then wait until Tesla caps your supercharging speeds and battery 3 years from now.

Queue Tesla fanboys saying “nuh-uh!” In 3...2...1...
I don’t need to be a fanboy to know you certainly can get rated range in a 3 at highway speeds with the aero tires. I’ve done it many times in fair weather.

Getting used to how much power is needed is just like learning how far you can push the fuel tank needle towards empty before filling up.
Really the best way of getting to learn what the car is doing is to use the energy graph display, especially on a road trip. It gives you a much better view of what is going on and how much power you'll have left - and it updates in real time.
It really help me.

Reactions: PACEMD
thank you. Regarding preconditioning, is that just a simple matter of putting in a departure time?

I’m really stressing over my wheels. I love the way they look —even waited longer on the car to get them. Now I’m worried I shouldn’t have.
Set you at home charging to start the charge, so it completes just before your planned departure time, so that the battery is still warm. Example, if your daily commute is 30 miles and your charger charges the car at 30 miles an hour, set your charge time to start about and hour before you leave (example: if you leave at 0730, start charging a 0600 so the battery is hot). Then also add cabin pre-conditioning so you are heating off "shore power" verses Model 3 battery power. Also inflate you tires to the correct level for the winter.

thank you! I was charging to 100% because I was on the road and I was seeing such rapid drain. What do you think about my day to day usage on my work trips? Is that typical?

What about my wheels? Did I make a mistake? (I can’t figure out how to change the avatar picture or I would make it an image of the car—you’d see how amazing it looks!)

Two stops is normal, but charging to 100% was your mistake here. You actually got hit twice because you charged to 100% - you paid for it (in wasted time) at the first stop and the second. The cold might have necessitated some of that, but you probably overdid it.

A Better Routeplanner

Here is the same route - recommends that you charge 38 to 58 at the first stop (7 minutes) and 18 to 78 at the second (22 min). If you were using more power, your charge times would not be much longer since you would charge at the faster rate. So 27 minutes charging, maybe 35 vs 100 minutes which you unfortunately experienced. It takes a while to learn and get used to.

There is a lot of stuff for a new Tesla owner to learn about, and you don't know what you don't know. Make sure to read the manual for this car.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I really need your advice and forgivrpe this lengthy post. I have wanted a Tesla for so long and finally got mine last Saturday. I have been reading the threads and need some advice/reassurance, because my anxiety is preventing me from truly enjoying my new car.

(I’m still learning how to post here — posted this previously as a reply in another thread.

It's a Model 3 Standard Range Plus. I picked it up in St. Louis on Saturday. (That's where they found me one--I live in suburban Chicago). On my 295 mile trip home, I had to charge twice. I was really surprised by that. (Both were at Superchargers---which by the way took a really long time---as long as an hour).

Here were the conditions: Blinding rain, pretty cold (probably 40's), wipers and lights for much of the trip. Do those kinds of conditions really sap range? So much so that I needed to supercharge twice on a 295 mile trip?

Please, another example. I'm 28 miles from work. One day this week I started with my car displaying a range of 299 miles. It rolled off 40 miles on that 28 mile trip. Is that normal? (45 degrees, some drizzle, wipers for part of the trip --- and lights). Last night on the way home that 28 mile trip burned 35 miles.

Now---one last thing. I know this is controversial: I just really don't like the appearance of the aero covers or the gun-metal wheels below them. PLEASE DON"T FLAME ME ON THIS I paid extra for the 19" sport wheels because I just thought they look better. Are those really sapping my range? Or can someone reassure me that that number may be minimal? I've seen everything from 5% to 10% range reduction on the forums. I'm so worried I made a huge mistake.

Most of all everyone, I just want to start loving my car. This is all sort of hanging over me. I don't have range anxiety. I have "think about range all the time" anxiety.

Any and all advice/comfort you could offer would be very welcome. It is a beautiful car.

Thank you,
Phil Rogers
Chicago

Phil,
Welcome to Tesla ownership! It will get better. You have a bad case of range anxiety and have gotten good advice so far.
I have no idea why it would take an hour to charge at a Supercharger, though I do assume you are sitting through the painful process of waiting for it to hit 100%? You almost never need to get to that point. Are you also charging to 100% at home? It sounds like it. You get no regen braking until you hit 90%, so you're wasting energy there. 100% charging is not good battery management and can harm it.
By far the biggest variable is your use of heat. Keep the cabin as cold as comfortably possible. You'll lose up to 30% with the heat cranking.
Did you research these cars ahead of time in this forum? I was stalking this forum for 6 months before I bought mine last year. There are a lot of knowledgeable people in here, so on my first day I felt like I had been driving the car for years. If you're surprised that 40 miles came off a 28 mile trip, as well as 35 on a 28(in 40 degree temps), then I assume you didn't read much about the car ahead of time.
Did you consider a LR car?
In a cold climate like I live in, I NEVER would have considered anything less than a LR. This forum is filled with people saying to expect 30% range loss in winter. That has proven to be completely true.

The single setting that brought my range way up in colder weather was turn recirculate on. On longer trips the savings were huge rather than just heating incoming colder air. I would imagine this also works to keep cold air in for air con. Seems like I knocked 50 points off my power usage on trips.

The single setting that brought my range way up in colder weather was turn recirculate on. On longer trips the savings were huge rather than just heating incoming colder air. I would imagine this also works to keep cold air in for air con. Seems like I knocked 50 points off my power usage on trips.

Thank you---great tip and I will keep that in mind!

Phil,
Welcome to Tesla ownership! It will get better. You have a bad case of range anxiety and have gotten good advice so far.
I have no idea why it would take an hour to charge at a Supercharger, though I do assume you are sitting through the painful process of waiting for it to hit 100%? You almost never need to get to that point. Are you also charging to 100% at home? It sounds like it. You get no regen braking until you hit 90%, so you're wasting energy there. 100% charging is not good battery management and can harm it.
By far the biggest variable is your use of heat. Keep the cabin as cold as comfortably possible. You'll lose up to 30% with the heat cranking.
Did you research these cars ahead of time in this forum? I was stalking this forum for 6 months before I bought mine last year. There are a lot of knowledgeable people in here, so on my first day I felt like I had been driving the car for years. If you're surprised that 40 miles came off a 28 mile trip, as well as 35 on a 28(in 40 degree temps), then I assume you didn't read much about the car ahead of time.
Did you consider a LR car?
In a cold climate like I live in, I NEVER would have considered anything less than a LR. This forum is filled with people saying to expect 30% range loss in winter. That has proven to be completely true.

thank you for your kind words. I've really made great strides just in the last few days since converting my display from percentage instead of miles. Took it for a drive yesterday to Kenosha Wisconsin---68 miles each way. It went like a breeze and the car still had plenty of juice, even though I had only charged to 80%. I am no longer charging to 100---no need. I've gotten some great advice from great folks like you. Thank you very much!

Two stops is normal, but charging to 100% was your mistake here. You actually got hit twice because you charged to 100% - you paid for it (in wasted time) at the first stop and the second. The cold might have necessitated some of that, but you probably overdid it.

A Better Routeplanner

Here is the same route - recommends that you charge 38 to 58 at the first stop (7 minutes) and 18 to 78 at the second (22 min). If you were using more power, your charge times would not be much longer since you would charge at the faster rate. So 27 minutes charging, maybe 35 vs 100 minutes which you unfortunately experienced. It takes a while to learn and get used to.

There is a lot of stuff for a new Tesla owner to learn about, and you don't know what you don't know. Make sure to read the manual for this car.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

User 212 great info and terrific advice. My next long trip will be Indianapolis (I hope later in the summer). That's about 3 hours on the nose in an ICE automobile. Should be easily doable with stops like the ones you reccomended. Thank you very much for your kind words and good tips!

Reactions: user212_nr
Lots of good advice and many variables and options for efficiency. Regarding the wheels, if you like your 19” wheels and don’t like the aeros then keep the 19s and enjoy your car. You have other efficiency options to compensate for the wheels.

Thank you. I do think they look better. But I now understand why so many people have stuck with the aero wheels. Efficiency is pretty important. After the wheels, what do you think is the number one efficiency move to make?

Getting used to how much power is needed is just like learning how far you can push the fuel tank needle towards empty before filling up.
Really the best way of getting to learn what the car is doing is to use the energy graph display, especially on a road trip. It gives you a much better view of what is going on and how much power you'll have left - and it updates in real time.
It really help me.

I used the energy graph in several drives over the weekend, and going to and from work today and you are right---it really helps! Thank you!

Although there are factors out of your control (head wind, rain, etc), there are several things you can control:

1) Tire Pressure
As others have mentioned, check your tire pressure. If you are concerned about range, I would fill your tires about 2 psi above the recommended level. The recommended tire pressure can be found on the sticker on the door frame of the driver's door. I personally keep a bicycle tire inflator in the trunk so I can add air anytime, anywhere.

2) Cabin Heater
As others mentioned, using the cabin heater zaps battery energy like crazy. So preheat the cabin before you leave while the car is still plugged in, whenever possible. Use the seat heaters full blast and turn the cabin heater down as low as you can stand it. You can consider wearing a scarf, hat, and driving gloves if that helps you turn the heater temp down a few more degrees.

3) Slow down
Unlike ICE cars, the faster your speed, the less efficient your energy use. What was your average highway speed during your trip? If you slow down from an average of say 75 mph to 65 mph, you will notice a dramatic improvement in your efficiency. Of course, if you slow down even further, you will continue to see improvements in efficiency. If your battery is low as you are on your way to a Supercharger, the car will show a message instructing you to slow down in order to make it to the Supercharger.

4) Apply Hydrophobic Sealant to the Windshield
I had never thought about the impact of windshield wiper use on efficiency, but that makes sense. I would apply Aqua Pel, Rain X, or some other hydrophobic windshield treatment so that you can reduce or even eliminate the need to run your wipers. Once the car is moving above 40 mph, the water just rapidly beads off.

Hope that helps,
joebruin77

Joe these are great pieces of advice. I have been holding my speed down and have managed to stay above the energy graph every time---even though I drove all the way up into Wisconsin from Chicago. Worked well to and from work as well---I did not know about the hydrophobic sealant. I'm going to check it out. How often do you have to apply it?

OP is indeed getting great advice from everyone here.

As a real-world example of charging strategy: We went from LA to Park City (near SLC). Yes, we charged to 100% before leaving home, allowing us to make a big first push. After that, though, we made even more Supercharging stops than abetterrouteplanner recommended. Every 120 - 150 miles ... 1.5 - 2 hours. Bathroom break and a quick charge. Coffee and a quick charge. Ice cream cone and a quick charge.

Got us 700+ miles in 12 hours. About one hour longer than if we had driven a petrol car ... and endured bladder-busting gaps between fill-ups.

More importantly, when we awoke the next morning, my wife — who is normally a reluctant road-tripper — suggested “Hey, let’s go for a drive!”

Not only an efficient way to travel but also a civilized one!

Love this---and I like being civilized. Great advice. Thank you! This is a great community

Thank you. I do think they look better. But I now understand why so many people have stuck with the aero wheels. Efficiency is pretty important. After the wheels, what do you think is the number one efficiency move to make?

It’s always a combination of things. My opinion is weather is the most impactful, but you can’s do anything about it other than precondition, be careful of too much heat/AC, for rain smaller tires/wheels and windshield coating to minimize wipers. Speed is the next factor mostly about wind resistance. I don’t think it is safe to draft, but slower and safe speeds in the right lane can help. Just my opinion. Maybe range mode helps, not sure how much - I always have it on.

Maybe range mode helps, not sure how much - I always have it on.

I think that range mode is only in the S/X. I've never seen it in the 3.

Speed is the next factor mostly about wind resistance.

Speed > HVAC. Depends on how much speed, but driving 50 mph vs 65 should be better than turning hvac off. When the car is low on battery, it always advises to drop the speed, rather than to turn off hvac.

Besides, hvac is a necessity when it is very cold/very hot, so you can only drop a few degrees before it is unhealthy. If you can drive with hvac off, then it probably wasn't using much power.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PACEMD and EVortex
Last edited: