Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner and some things that I do not like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my 3 for about a month and here are a few things that Tesla should have fixed long ago. First, the cruise will suddenly stop and come to a halt if you do not take action to keep going. Mine will actually begin braking on an open road with no one near me. Since the Tesla is a relatively new concept the sudden slow down can cause some panic, as you are not sure what is going on. Next, why oh why did Tesla force the outside mirrors down when backing up? OK, so maybe it could be useful for curb avoidance but why on the left side? Or did the Engineers think that only people from the UK would buy them? Then there is the limited rear view in general. I can excuse them on this one as they needed to keep the wind resistance to a minimum and the design just does not allow a good rear view through the rear view mirror. Yes, there is the screen but I still rely on what I can actually see, when backing up, and the inside mirror just does not allow enough view. Then there is the "dead spot" warning, or rather "no dead spot warning". By the time you see a car on your left, on the screen, it is much too close to change lanes. On my Acadia you glance at the mirror and if there is a little yellow light you know someone is in the dead spot, so you only check the outside mirror for an instant. But on the Tesla you have to look two places, the outside mirror and the dash screen, in order to determine if it is safe to change lanes. I find that cumbersome.
More later

I agree that phantom braking is annoying and can potentially put you in a bad position. This issue is well documented on this site and others. I was thankful I was aware of it before I purchased the vehicle. Regarding your other comments, you said that you still rely on what you can “see” when backing up but you are frustrated with when cars show up on the screen prior to making a lane change. I would recommend not using the screen in your pre- lane change cross check. Looking over the shoulder seems to work well. Congratulations on your Tesla!

Most of my phantom braking went away when I changed the collision avoidance braking to “late”. I love that the mirrors fold down in reverse; prevents me from curbing my wheels and makes it possible to park in my tight garage space (between motorcycles on one side and freezer/beer fridge/shelves on the other). The view out the back window isn’t great, but overall I think the visibility is pretty good, and I use the cameras for parking in reverse (along with side mirrors). That it shows how far away I am is a bonus, because once I’m < 30 inches or so from the back objects, I know I’m far enough in to close the garage door.

I never look at the dash to “see” if there is a car in the lane next to me, because it uses the same cameras and software that it uses to phantom brake for trucks to my right and overpasses. I just use the mirror and turn my head to look with my own eyes.

My only real complaints are the (still) occasional phantom braking and the enormous pain it is to cancel a turn signal properly once it’s been fully engaged (i.e. not the quick 3-flash). One motion to start signalling, and an average of about 3 attempts to get it to stop.

...First, the cruise will suddenly stop and come to a halt if you do not take action to keep going...
I just get read and prepare my foot to accelerate on those occasions.
...the outside mirrors down when backing up?...
There's an option to slide on your screen for on/off "Mirror Auto Tilt".
...Then there is the "dead spot" warning, or rather "no dead spot warning". By the time you see a car on your left, on the screen, it is much too close to change lanes. On my Acadia you glance at the mirror and if there is a little yellow light you know someone is in the dead spot, so you only check the outside mirror for an instant. But on the Tesla you have to look two places, the outside mirror and the dash screen, in order to determine if it is safe to change lanes. I find that cumbersome...
I think it's designed so owners will be tempted to pay up for the $10,000 FSD.

1) Phantom breaking 👻 is changing with software versions. It is very very rare now for me. I used to have a phantom breaking spot on my daily drive, but not anymore. Usually it happens near bridges, on hills, large signs hanging over the road, etc. If it happens too often, you may need recalibration of your cameras.
2) My other (non-Tesla) car also turns mirrors down when backing up. It's a feature, and personally I'm okay with it. Isn't there a way to turn it off?
3) The rear view is not great but much better than on MY. The rear view cameras are great though.
4) Dead sport warning is something that could be added in software but it is never added like waypoints.

All the valid points of criticism. If we had nothing to criticize then the progress would stop. ⚰️

Reactions: SlimJim
Next, why oh why did Tesla force the outside mirrors down when backing up? OK, so maybe it could be useful for curb avoidance but why on the left side? Or did the Engineers think that only people from the UK would buy them?

You can turn off the mirror tilt in reverse. Tap vehicle icon (lower left), then "quick controls", then "mirrors", then "mirror auto tilt".

Most of my phantom braking went away when I changed the collision avoidance braking to “late”. I love that the mirrors fold down in reverse; prevents me from curbing my wheels and makes it possible to park in my tight garage space (between motorcycles on one side and freezer/beer fridge/shelves on the other). The view out the back window isn’t great, but overall I think the visibility is pretty good, and I use the cameras for parking in reverse (along with side mirrors). That it shows how far away I am is a bonus, because once I’m < 30 inches or so from the back objects, I know I’m far enough in to close the garage door.

I never look at the dash to “see” if there is a car in the lane next to me, because it uses the same cameras and software that it uses to phantom brake for trucks to my right and overpasses. I just use the mirror and turn my head to look with my own eyes.

My only real complaints are the (still) occasional phantom braking and the enormous pain it is to cancel a turn signal properly once it’s been fully engaged (i.e. not the quick 3-flash). One motion to start signalling, and an average of about 3 attempts to get it to stop.
Yes, that turn signal issue is another simple fix that Tesla seems to ignore. The car is engineered super well so why did they seem to ignore that one?

Most mirrors can be adjusted with NO blind spot. This changes with a full load of crap or too many heads in the way. But still, rely on the real world! Yes, I’ve had it and better on other cars, but I’m old and know better.
You (and others) seem to be making excuses for poor engineering by Tesla. I know how to turn my head or use the outside mirrors properly. My complain is that there is no dead spot detection. The GNC Acadia (and other mfgs) have a simple and safe warning for a dead spot. Not Tesla.

Reactions: Jclboston

Another person making excuses for poor engineering. True, you and a handful of others may like the tilted mirrors. But the MAJORITY do not.
I agree that phantom braking is annoying and can potentially put you in a bad position. This issue is well documented on this site and others. I was thankful I was aware of it before I purchased the vehicle. Regarding your other comments, you said that you still rely on what you can “see” when backing up but you are frustrated with when cars show up on the screen prior to making a lane change. I would recommend not using the screen in your pre- lane change cross check. Looking over the shoulder seems to work well. Congratulations on your Tesla!
Another excuse for poor engineering from Tesla. If you ever purchased any other newer vehicle you would know they have great blind spot detection. Not Tesla.

I just get read and prepare my foot to accelerate on those occasions.

There's an option to slide on your screen for on/off "Mirror Auto Tilt".

I think it's designed so owners will be tempted to pay up for the $10,000 FSD.
Agreed. But all pf your suggestions are just excuses for poor engineering. Look at what you said and it is similar to this: "My new car jerks to the lft but since I know it happens everyonce ina awhile, I just get ready for it", or how about this, "just set your mirror tilt to off"....;well in the new er Tesla that does not work...check the threads. As for the phantom braking, I became aware of it instanly...when it happend. No one had to tell me...but it is still in issue even though I know it happens. My 3 actually brakes at cruse speed and I wonder if the brake lights come on?

I think most of you missed the point of my thread. I could have filled the page with things I like about my 3. I was listing things that could have been simple fixes by Tesla that were overlooked. Then came the excuses. Also, Tesla may be the leader in EV's but they are not the only player in town and if they want to keep that leading edge, they need to put less farts in their engineering and more safety and user friendly features. The GMC Acadia is ahead of Tesla on that one. As for trying to help me, I did not ask for help, I was addressing issues that should have been addressed by Tesla in the first place.
One last comment, my mirror tilt does not turn off. Maybe there is a problem with my 3 and I need to have it serviced, but the mirrors tilt even when I turn the tilt off.

I read every word. There were no excuses that I saw. A few suggestions on workarounds snd corrections, but no excuses. You are either hyper sensitive, have a temporary bug somewhere private, or are a troll… or all of these things. Signing off this thread. I generally read these things from new owners to see if I can help, but you are not help-able.

I think most of you missed the point of my thread. I could have filled the page with things I like about my 3. I was listing things that could have been simple fixes by Tesla that were overlooked. Then came the excuses. Also, Tesla may be the leader in EV's but they are not the only player in town and if they want to keep that leading edge, they need to put less farts in their engineering and more safety and user friendly features. The GMC Acadia is ahead of Tesla on that one. As for trying to help me, I did not ask for help, I was addressing issues that should have been addressed by Tesla in the first place.
One last comment, my mirror tilt does not turn off. Maybe there is a problem with my 3 and I need to have it serviced, but the mirrors tilt even when I turn the tilt off.
If you didn't save the change to the profile, it gets overwritten. You did save it to your driver profile, and not easy-entry, right?

Reactions: Dogeftw