Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner - brake lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am a new owner of a M3 and love it, but have a question. I live in South Carolina and was driving back from a bike ride today, and an older guy in a beat up pickup truck pulls up next to me and urgently motions me to roll down my window at a stop light. I didn’t think he wanted to race... he seemed like a nice guy, and told me my right brake light was out. I thanked him, and checked it when I got home. Everything (brake, turn signal, tail lights) worked perfectly...

Is this a thing? Is it some sort of inside joke to get a Tesla owner to check his brake light? Is it like telling someone their zipper is down when it is not? Or is it possible a brake light works perfectly in the driveway and not on the road?

oh well, if this is the worst thing I have to deal with, it is still worth it (I am still dreaming up reasons to go for a drive).

This happened to me too a few weeks ago. I could see that the brake light was out though. When pressing the brake pedal, the light would flash briefly for a second, then go out. I called service, and the replaced the light cluster. Took them about 10 minutes and was covered under warranty.

Brake Light Out