Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I am a new M3 owner today. Got a 2021 from Carmax. Need help from members here. My car is showing me 118 miles to go and I am freaking out coz I worry battery will run down before I get my charger installed. How many days can i go without charging if I am driving it around town?

The car comes with a charging cable and an adapter. But I tried to connect the adapter to an extension cord so i can try charging using my 110V but the connector head wont fit the car charger port. What am I missing?

Also what is the best way to familiarize with all the controls and apps? If I open up one app like car controls as example, how do i go back to the main page? and where is the manual? I am really freaking out coz i am not used to having a computer car. Sorry for being so green. I hope someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.
KC

Here is the manual

There is no "How many days can I go without charging if I am driving around town". There are too many factors in that for anyone at all to give you any sort of estimation.

The best way to familiarize yourself is to start by reading that manual, and also finding a supercharger so that you can know where you will be charging until you figure out your charging.

Here is the manual

There is no "How many days can I go without charging if I am driving around town". There are too many factors in that for anyone at all to give you any sort of estimation.

The best way to familiarize yourself is to start by reading that manual, and also finding a supercharger so that you can know where you will be charging until you figure out your charging.
Thanks so much bro from your prompt response. BTW, how do I know if the car comes with FSD?

Please also note that even though your car indicates 118 miles of range left in the battery, you will almost certainly run out of charge before that for the following reasons:
1. Driving much over 50-55 mph will reduce your range.
2. Using your AC or heat will also reduce your range
3. Any passenger, beyond the driver, or any cargo in the trunk will also reduce your range.
4. Putting it in sentry mode or turning on the cabin overheat protection will also reduce your range
Read the manual, in fact, read it at least twice. There is soooo much important info in there!

• Informative
Reactions: Brou and jjrandorin
Thanks so much bro from your prompt response. BTW, how do I know if the car comes with FSD?
Was the car advertised with FSD? If you look at the Upgrades section of your mobile app, FSD will be listed if you don’t already have it. You can also check Controls > Autopilot settings in the car, and if you see anything there regarding Navigate on Autopilot or Summon, you have FSD. Those features are also available in Enhanced Autopilot, but Tesla only recently started offering that again in the US, so your car probably won’t have that.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
The car comes with a charging cable and an adapter. But I tried to connect the adapter to an extension cord so i can try charging using my 110V but the connector head wont fit the car charger port. What am I missing?

Can you post a picture of the charging accessories you have? With that we can figure out what you have.

I have attached a picture of what you should have been given.

charger.png

Was the car advertised with FSD? If you look at the Upgrades section of your mobile app, FSD will be listed if you don’t already have it. You can also check Controls > Autopilot settings in the car, and if you see anything there regarding Navigate on Autopilot or Summon, you have FSD. Those features are also available in Enhanced Autopilot, but Tesla only recently started offering that again in the US, so your car probably won’t have that.
The specs says Autopilot. What does that mean? Thanks.

This is what I have. What am I missing?
You're not missing anything. In fact, given that some of this stuff is no longer shipped with cars, there are jealous other people hanging about.
  1. The big thing with the Tesla connector on one end and the thicker bit of electronics and $RANDOM socket accessory on the other is the well-known Tesla Mobile Connector. One plugs one of a number of possible adapters into the socket and, with this beast, applies a 120 VAC (Level 1) or 208-220 VAC (Level 2) into the socket end, then plugs the other end of the adapter into one's City Power Socket of Choice. The car takes the 120/240 VAC, rectifies it to some variant of DC, then applies that DC voltage to the actual battery charger built into the car.
  2. You have the NEMA5-15 adapter. Whee. That'll plug into a US/Canada house socket. Said sockets are usually backed up by a 15A breaker in your house breaker box. NEC (National Electric Code) says max current through a breaker/socket/wire is 80% of the rating for the breaker/socket/wire (those are usually matched), so you can get 12A out of that. 120V * 12A = 1440 W. If you have a Long Range or P version of the M3, you get a 75kW-hr battery that's good for about 320 miles or so; if you got a Standard Range, then you got a smaller battery, 60 kW-hr. A M3 gets about 250 W-hr/mile, so, at 1.44kW, that NEMA5-15 will charge your car at a rate of 1.44/0.25 = 5.something miles of charge per hour. If you want to go faster at home (likely) you get a Wall Connector or a 220 VAC wall socket. If you got a M3 LR or P, the rectifiers in the car can suck down (at most) 48A at 240 VAC, giving you a (max) rate of 45 Miles of Charge per Hour; with a Standard Range, max you'll get is 32A and about 30 Miles of Charge per hour. You'll need the right adapter if you're using wall sockets: See Tesla's collection here.
  3. That funky looking thing with the five holes on one side and the Tesla connector on the other is a J1772 adapter. The J1772 is an AC standard used by a lot of electric cars and, in particular, by stand-alone electric car charging stations everywhere. It'll do up to 32A, with the right charging station. Chargepoint, Electrify America, and zillions of others have that. One attaches the adapter to the end of the charging station cable, then plugs the works into the Tesla's charging port.
About the only thing I got with my car that you didn't get with yours is a NEMA14-50 adapter. Back in 2018, Superchargers weren't around so much, so Tesla threw that adapter in, since Mobile Home parks/RV campgrounds tend to have that kind of socket available. I think I've used that adapter maybe once.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Nice work, TMC members.

Its threads like this, and the willingness of many members of this site to provide help and information to those who are looking for it, that made me both stick around, and also say "sure I will help out with a bunch of my time for free (moderate) when I was asked if I would help.

You're in California where there are hundreds of thousands of Teslas. If you have someone you know, perhaps, you can ask them to stop by to run you things quickly. It'll be a lot faster for you.

You have everything you need.

You need to pull the 50A 220V plug out of the mobile charger and plug in the 120V plug. These plugs are interchangeable.

View attachment 831449

Then you can plug in the 120V Plug into the wall, and the tesla end into the car. All set!
Also note that the big plug you pull out is some kind of 240V plug. Depending on what it is (post a photo of the prong side if you want people here to tell you), you may be able to get a matching outlet installed.

The specs says Autopilot. What does that mean? Thanks.
Autopilot may or may not be FSD. Stand by for Acronyms:
  • TACC = Traffic Aware Cruise Control. General idea: set it for 60 mph. If you're following a car that's going at 50 mph, you end up following it at a distance you roughly set. If the car in front comes to a halt, you do, too. If it starts up again, you follow it, too. It's not perfect: Occasionally, the cameras/smarts will see a shadow on the road and decide that it's a car, slowing down abruptly. Comes with the car.
  • Lane Keeping. The various eyeballs in the car find the lanes and keep you inside of them: Look ma, no hands! Works very well on limited access highways. By the by: If you try to drive with No Hands, the car will yell at you, and, eventually, come to a halt. Tesla will not be shy about telling you that this is Beta software, you're taking your life in your hands, and they're not kidding. They want you to keep your hands on the wheel and apply a bit of torque, continuously. They're also using the camera inside the car to see where your eyes are pointing. Point your eyes at a video and it'll detect that: It's also a very, very, stupid idea, and doing anything like that is playing the lottery with the Darwin Awards people. Don't be that idiot - some of them are dead. Lane Keeping is tons better than when it first came out, but it still makes mistakes from time to time.Having said that, the combination of TACC/Lane Keeping isn't bad: It relieves one of the minutia of steering and keeping the speed the same. And, really, having those in operation means that one can keep one's eyes open for Evil up ahead so one can take over before the TACC/LK gets overwhelmed. Comes with the car.
  • EAP. Enhanced Autopilot. On Limited Access freeways, this one is smart enough, given a destination, to go into and out of on/off-ramps. Set enough options and it'll change lanes for you, although I find that a bit much. It will suggest lane changes and will change lanes automatically. Which is cool: With all the cameras, you can pretty much forget the dangers of the blind spots since there's cameras pointed right at those spots and the car's good at spotting oncoming vehicles. It'll stop at stoplights and stop signs, the latter being somewhat useless. It will also stop at green lights unless one gives it a confirm on the gas/shifting stalk. If, at a halt behind traffic stopped at a light, and the light changes, it'll follow the traffic through the light. If it's close enough to a car going at speed down the road that goes through a green light (legally), it'll follow that car, othewise it needs the confirmation bit. $$.
  • FSD. EAP on steroids. $$$. More integration on changing lanes. I think. Eventually, with this option, when the full City Streets stuff comes out (one is paying money for the house not built yet, by the by), you'll get it. Cheaper now, more expensive later.
  • FSD-b. Unlikely you've got this. At the moment, invitation only for FSD holders. Designed to handle city streets, but currently does a great job of giving drivers white hairs. One is basically a test driver for Tesla.
Most likely: You got the TACC/LK package, everybody gets that. Possible: Somebody paid for FSD and you've got that. If the car passes through Tesla's hands/ownership on its way to you, they'll take FSD off the car. If you bought the car from CarMax or something and it had it, you've still got it, and Tesla won't take it off the car, even if you bring it in for service.

Strong Suggestion: You've got a couple-ton car with some wild and crazy automation. It's good automation, it's safer (really!) to drive the car with the automation than not. But it's not your father's automobile. READ THE BLINKING MANUAL, COVER TO COVER, AND TAKE NOTES IF YOU NEED TO. You don't want to get surprised by some feature or other (or lack thereof). And while you can ask picky questions about this-and-that in a forum like this, the manual is where the answers are. Also: That was a nifty link to the manual, up there. Don't use that one. Go to your account on the Tesla web site, look up Glovebox documents, and download the manual for your specific car. Don't take any wooden nickels, accept no substitutes. Did you know that the manual changes somewhat after major version number updates of the car's software? now you know.

As an example: Older versions of TACC used RADAR, built into the front of the car, to determine where traffic was up there. Tricky bit: The RADAR doesn't see anything if the velocity difference between the car and anything else is greater than 45 mph. This is great when one is traveling on an interstate, since bridge abutments, guardrails, overhead signs and such disappear from the radar's sight, leaving just other cars traveling at roughly the same speed, sometimes a quarter of a mile ahead.

What that also means: If one was traveling at 65 mph and came up on stopped traffic, the car wouldn't see the stopped traffic. Oops. Idiots watching videos discovered this "feature" in rather spectacular ways that often ended up with the idiots and/or bystanders deceased. FWIW, Tesla has switched to using the cameras and CPU in the car to see other cars, so that notable 45 mph limit is now history. BUT THERE WERE WARNINGS ALL OVER THE MANUAL ABOUT THE 45 MPH LIMIT; those that didn't read that and realize that Tesla was serious (as were a bunch of other car manufacturers using the same technology) suffered, badly. Don't be those people: READ THE MANUAL.

You're not missing anything. In fact, given that some of this stuff is no longer shipped with cars, there are jealous other people hanging about.
  1. The big thing with the Tesla connector on one end and the thicker bit of electronics and $RANDOM socket accessory on the other is the well-known Tesla Mobile Connector. One plugs one of a number of possible adapters into the socket and, with this beast, applies a 120 VAC (Level 1) or 208-220 VAC (Level 2) into the socket end, then plugs the other end of the adapter into one's City Power Socket of Choice. The car takes the 120/240 VAC, rectifies it to some variant of DC, then applies that DC voltage to the actual battery charger built into the car.
  2. You have the NEMA5-15 adapter. Whee. That'll plug into a US/Canada house socket. Said sockets are usually backed up by a 15A breaker in your house breaker box. NEC (National Electric Code) says max current through a breaker/socket/wire is 80% of the rating for the breaker/socket/wire (those are usually matched), so you can get 12A out of that. 120V * 12A = 1440 W. If you have a Long Range or P version of the M3, you get a 75kW-hr battery that's good for about 320 miles or so; if you got a Standard Range, then you got a smaller battery, 60 kW-hr. A M3 gets about 250 W-hr/mile, so, at 1.44kW, that NEMA5-15 will charge your car at a rate of 1.44/0.25 = 5.something miles of charge per hour. If you want to go faster at home (likely) you get a Wall Connector or a 220 VAC wall socket. If you got a M3 LR or P, the rectifiers in the car can suck down (at most) 48A at 240 VAC, giving you a (max) rate of 45 Miles of Charge per Hour; with a Standard Range, max you'll get is 32A and about 30 Miles of Charge per hour. You'll need the right adapter if you're using wall sockets: See Tesla's collection here.
  3. That funky looking thing with the five holes on one side and the Tesla connector on the other is a J1772 adapter. The J1772 is an AC standard used by a lot of electric cars and, in particular, by stand-alone electric car charging stations everywhere. It'll do up to 32A, with the right charging station. Chargepoint, Electrify America, and zillions of others have that. One attaches the adapter to the end of the charging station cable, then plugs the works into the Tesla's charging port.
About the only thing I got with my car that you didn't get with yours is a NEMA14-50 adapter. Back in 2018, Superchargers weren't around so much, so Tesla threw that adapter in, since Mobile Home parks/RV campgrounds tend to have that kind of socket available. I think I've used that adapter maybe once.
My god. there are so many awesome and helpful members here in this community. I am so much appreciative to all of you helping me navigate. Thanks again everyone I am going to spend the weekend getting to know all there is. Have a great weekend to all.

Ok after the initial questions…you got to show us a picture of the car!!! 😎 Congrats on it by the way. And probably after this the pic should be all plugged up in your garage!

Now…once you start to get used to it a tip. Change your battery display to percentage and sorta relax about “miles.”

Think of it this way…in your gas car you have had for years a DTE - distance to empty - display you NEVER looked at and freaked out if it said 150 miles and then after you drove 5 miles it said 142 miles. You just looked at the “gas gauge” and said “mmmhh…a bit over half, I’m good today” or “hmm, I got 1/4, I might need to get some tonight before I leave in the morning.”

Once you get a comfort zone with your daily trips and get past the initial play with the car - which is FUN!!! - and settle into that, you will find it great. The agonizing over every mile will just stress you…you didn’t do it before. :)

Now, don’t forget that picture!

Reactions: BigNick
Nice work, TMC members.

Its threads like this, and the willingness of many members of this site to provide help and information to those who are looking for it, that made me both stick around, and also say "sure I will help out with a bunch of my time for free (moderate) when I was asked if I would help.
And those of us who have been here a while appreciate all you do jj.