Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner. Some dumb questions:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a short briefing on delivery so a few questions I only thought of afterwards.

1) On the MCU, how do you hide the top icons to maximize space? I use Tesla waze on top and rear cam view on the bottom.

2) Rear middle headrest partially obstructs rear window view. Any way to adjust or remove it?

3) Are the grille openings long, wide next to windshield, and square shaped between the front dome lights sound speakers? I struggle to hear any sound from them when playing music.

4) How does the ambient light switch in the MCU work? When I turn it on, it actually makes them dimmer. I'm on 46.9.

5) If someone starts supercharging in my paired stall, does that halve my received power?

Reactions: dhanson865
1. Top icons go away on their own (although most owners wish they wouldn’t. That’s a recent ”enhancement”). Tap the screen to bring them back temporarily.
5. No. Second car to connect gets the remaining power that the first car isn’t taking. As the first car’s power draw tapers down, the second car's power draw ramps up ( then down again as the battery fills).

Reactions: Jack Tripper
3) Are the grille openings long, wide next to windshield, and square shaped between the front dome lights sound speakers? I struggle to hear any sound from them when playing music.

Everyone else answered the other questions well. For the above question:

The long, wide one on the dash under the windshield is one of the woofers -- you're unlikely to be able to localize sound from it, as bass tends to be nondirectional.

The square between the dome lights is where the microphone is located for hands-free calling. No sound will come from that. You can scratch it during a phone call to annoy the other end ;-)

When either the Nav or the Camera are in the top position, they will expand after a few seconds to cover the icons. Tap the screen to get them back. All other programs will not cover the icons, so you would need to reverse Waze and the Camera apps.

I still jump sometimes when I look in the rearview mirror and see "Herman" sitting in the middle seat. No way to change that.

The microphone is between the dome lights, but there is a center as well as L/R speakers in the dashboard or mirror assembly and A pillars.

The ambient light sensor is automatic, but you can turn it on and then adjust the "target" brightness with the slider

If you are charging and somebody new plugs in to your pair, their charge is slower as they mostly get what you have left over. As your car charges, it tapers off, so over time, their charge rate increases while yours decreases. They mostly screw themselves by plugging into your shared charger.

I got a short briefing on delivery so a few questions I only thought of afterwards.

1) On the MCU, how do you hide the top icons to maximize space? I use Tesla waze on top and rear cam view on the bottom.

The navigation panel will maximize to the space of the icons at the top if it's the top app or if it's full screen. All the other apps don't mess with the icon space.

2) Rear middle headrest partially obstructs rear window view. Any way to adjust or remove it?

I keep the back seats folded down unless someone is riding back there. If there is just one person riding in the back, I keep the wider portion folded down.

I normally leave the parcel cover out of the car, but on a road trip I put it in, keep the seats folded down, and I have a black plastic bag velcroed to the front of the parcel cover. It covers the luggage and leaves the seats out of the way.

I'm not sure what that grill is in the center. This is the location of the speakers on both sound system options:
Audio Systems for the Tesla Model S and Model X | TeslaTap

4) How does the ambient light switch in the MCU work? When I turn it on, it actually makes them dimmer. I'm on 46.9.

I've had no problem adjusting the background light on the MCU. I'm not sure what the problem is. There is an automatic setting though.

5) If someone starts supercharging in my paired stall, does that halve my received power?

It's not halved, but it will likely be reduced. I believe each pair has 150 KW (I may be off on my numbers) for both. The system will deliver power to the two cars plugged in based on
1) Who was there first
2) The needs of the car

If the car is getting nearer to full charge, the supercharger starts tapering the power. If you pull in and plug into a shared pair with a car that is almost done supercharging, you will probably get close to full power because their power draw is low. However, if the car is running at peak charging, you won't get very much until their car starts to taper. Though their charging will be throttled some when you plug in so you can get something.

Often when a car is at peak charging rate, a bunch of fans kick in as the radiators go into overdrive to keep the battery cool. So if you have to choose between slots at a supercharger and the only options are all in a pair with one in use, pick the one that has the quietest car paired with it. That car is probably drawing relatively low power, or possibly none at all (if it finished before the driver got back).

• Love
To answer #4, ambient light logic is slightly opaque.

When the car is in state "Car off", the ambient lights will only come on when the dome lights are on, i.e. just after a door is opened or when the inactivity timer switches the car to "Car off", OR when the car is shifted from D, R or N to P. You can override this setting with the touchscreen "AMBIENT" button in the lighting controls section.

If the car is in a drive gear and the headlights or running lights are on, touching "AMBIENT" will toggle the ambient lights from off to dim. If you then open a door and you have the headlights-on-exit option enabled, the ambient light button toggles them from dim to bright and back, not off!

I'm going to confirm this logic one day, but it would appear there is no time you can actually override them into full manual - they always seem to do exactly what you don't want :-D

• Funny
When either the Nav or the Camera are in the top position, they will expand after a few seconds to cover the icons. Tap the screen to get them back. All other programs will not cover the icons, so you would need to reverse Waze and the Camera apps.
correction: if the rear camera is in the top position, it does not auto-hide the icons. Only the Nav at the top or full screen auto-hides the icons. (I drive all the time with camera at the top and icons are always there)

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX

Welcome to the group....how about a pic of your new baby?