Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owners and early adopter owners: Do I detect a major difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just checking on the definition of an "early adopter"

I would suppose that someone who had an EV before Tesla are already an early adopter.
Tesla is starting to attract customers who want the car on its own merits, not just because its an EV.
Many of those things have been mentioned in other threads which could be attributed to that "early majority".
They don't care about :
If its an EVSE or a charger
If its a cable or a hose
If they are filling up or charging
If its a filler cap or charge port
If charging to 80% is better for the battery or not
How many watts per mile they get
If the brake pedal uses regen or friction brakes
Talking to other owners while filling up
etc etc

As others have said, they want a car that does what it says on the tin without extra bugs.

Actually, this isn't a "Tesla" thing - its a "first kid on the block to get the new toy" thing. I see it in other car forums EVERY SINGLE TIME a new car is introduced from a manufacturer. Everyone is super excited at first and then, well, reality kicks in. The problems start to show up. The Christmas Morning syndrome starts to wear off, etc. I actually see a trend (in all of these car forums) where the "early" buyers get bored (they are , after all, no longer the only kid on the block) and pick up another newer model...you know like folks trade up to get dual motor, autopilot, etc. At the end of the day, the Model S is a car...not a cause...which is undoubtedly why it is like most other car forums on here. Flame away!

Actually, this isn't a "Tesla" thing - its a "first kid on the block to get the new toy" thing. I see it in other car forums EVERY SINGLE TIME a new car is introduced from a manufacturer. Everyone is super excited at first and then, well, reality kicks in. The problems start to show up. The Christmas Morning syndrome starts to wear off, etc. I actually see a trend (in all of these car forums) where the "early" buyers get bored (they are , after all, no longer the only kid on the block) and pick up another newer model...you know like folks trade up to get dual motor, autopilot, etc. At the end of the day, the Model S is a car...not a cause...which is undoubtedly why it is like most other car forums on here. Flame away!

hmm, still X mas morning for me...> 3 years later...
cause not a car
..7th set of tires going on today (43k miles!) :tongue:

..AWD/ AP is a bit boring

hmm, still X mas morning for me...> 3 years later...
cause not a car
..7th set of tires going on today (43k miles!) :tongue:

..AWD/ AP is a bit boring

Same here - not bored - not trading up.
I never expected perfection. On my 3rd drive unit - never failed - just a bit noisy.
Waited >2 years for backup lines - UI still a bit buggy but just more to look forward to when they add something else.
Maybe I'm too forgiving...I just love my car.

We received our Tesla in May 2014. VIN a little over 40,000. Anyway, here in California the DMV issues license plates sequentially in ascending NLLLNNN order. The earliest purchasers received license plates with a "6" as the initial digit followed by the three letter sequence at the tail end of the alphabet. The plates kicked into the "7" series around April 2013, and our car's plate is 7FRS---. Cars purchased in the last month or so of 2015 now are receiving plates with the 7N sequence. So, it is pretty easy to extrapolate how long a driver has owned his Tesla in California by the license plate.

I have Supercharged about 150 times in 18 months, mostly around the state, but also on some road trips out-of-state. Early in my ownership, owners that I encountered at the California Superchargers were enthusiastic about their car and wanted to talk. I thought it was a great way to meet new people, share stories and ideas, and just while away the time. I met some really neat people--perhaps one or two of you! I have noticed that recently with the explosion of Teslas here, the newer owners (based upon license plate) don't even bother to acknowledge anyone else. They stay locked in their car or plug in and vamoose. No smiles or waves or nods or anything! Yet the "earlier" owners still have that camaraderie. Maybe this is coincidental, but most of the newer owners appeared to be 30-45, while 18 months ago most appeared slightly to much older. I am 62.

Curiously at Superchargers away from California, it is like old times when I met fellow owners, regardless of age.

Happy as well!! Not bored.. I love my car.. Always fun to drive and still on the honeymoon!! Going on 3 years driving. Almost 80K miles. I am awaiting the SDK and more apps that add to the experience. Its taking them some time on the SDK..

I do not agree with you.

Tesla, the Roadster, the Model S & X are most certainly a cause!

I do not agree with you.

Tesla, the Roadster, the Model S & X are most certainly a cause!
I could agree with that.
They are after all part of the secret plan.
However, with each new car and each new advancement we are getting further and further along that plan.
I think what we are seeing is that there are more folks who are less inspired by "the cause" and more by the fact that the cars are speaking for themselves as a valid form of transport.

- - - Updated - - -

I could agree with that.
They are after all part of the secret plan.
However, with each new car and each new advancement we are getting further and further along that plan.
I think what we are seeing is that there are more folks who are less inspired by "the cause" and more by the fact that the cars are speaking for themselves as a valid form of transport.
I should point out that personally I bought into the EV cause before owning an EV, then got a Leaf.
So I know what it means to be driving something that only fits its purpose sometimes :biggrin:

Former Miata owner here, really miss waving at people and having them wave back.

I waved at the old guy driving a silver Tesla near my usual grocery lot, but he just looked at me like I'm crazy :frown:

I had the good fortune to drive one of the original miatas (92) with the retracting lights. Loved it, too bad it couldn't pass emissions, and had to give it up. My bro had a 91 and used to love how all the Miata drivers would wave at each other with the lights, open and close... He loved it. He unfortunately crashed his.

This thread still makes me sad. Please indulge me for a moment while I expand on this.

I took delivery of my Model S 85D in May 2015. Definitely still considering myself a new owner, although I've been around Teslas since early Roadster days, and I actually worked with Marc Tarpenning and Martin Eberhard (am I allowed to mention them here?) in a prior life.

It's definitely Tesla-land here in the SF Bay Area. Even around here I'll wave to other owners (especially Roadster owners). I always return a wave if I can react fast enough.

I've Supercharged maybe a dozen times. It's a great place to meet other owners...I make it a point (when practical) to walk around and talk to anybody else I see milling around, even though I'm an introvert by nature. This has resulted in several long conversations that caused top-off opportunity charges to turn into range charges.

On the forums here I try to add something constructive when I can, but a lot of you "earlier adopters" are so much more knowledgeable than I am, I often can't add much to a discussion. I do appreciate everything I've learned here so far.

I really like my car and hope "Christmas Morning" never goes away. It's not perfect, neither is the company. I've sent a few suggestions to corporate on various subjects. I'd like to think I've nice to people in service centers, the few times I've needed their expertise thus far.

So in short, I self-identify as a "new owner" who also happens to identify with some of the characteristics of an "early adopter". It sounds like some of you think that a person like me doesn't or can't exist, just because I happened to have owned a great car (yes folks at the end of the day it's just a car) for less time than you have. What's wrong with this?

Thanks for reading.

PS. Others have said this before, but I believe we're *all* early adopters in one way or another.

This thread still makes me sad. Please indulge me for a moment while I expand on this.

I took delivery of my Model S 85D in May 2015. Definitely still considering myself a new owner, although I've been around Teslas since early Roadster days, and I actually worked with Marc Tarpenning and Martin Eberhard (am I allowed to mention them here?) in a prior life.

It's definitely Tesla-land here in the SF Bay Area. Even around here I'll wave to other owners (especially Roadster owners). I always return a wave if I can react fast enough.

I've Supercharged maybe a dozen times. It's a great place to meet other owners...I make it a point (when practical) to walk around and talk to anybody else I see milling around, even though I'm an introvert by nature. This has resulted in several long conversations that caused top-off opportunity charges to turn into range charges.

On the forums here I try to add something constructive when I can, but a lot of you "earlier adopters" are so much more knowledgeable than I am, I often can't add much to a discussion. I do appreciate everything I've learned here so far.

I really like my car and hope "Christmas Morning" never goes away. It's not perfect, neither is the company. I've sent a few suggestions to corporate on various subjects. I'd like to think I've nice to people in service centers, the few times I've needed their expertise thus far.

So in short, I self-identify as a "new owner" who also happens to identify with some of the characteristics of an "early adopter". It sounds like some of you think that a person like me doesn't or can't exist, just because I happened to have owned a great car (yes folks at the end of the day it's just a car) for less time than you have. What's wrong with this?

Thanks for reading.

PS. Others have said this before, but I believe we're *all* early adopters in one way or another.

Everyone is welcome here, bmah. Everyone. Artsci has a point, but it doesn't apply to everyone & it certainly applies to some of the first people on the scene, too.

I personally was horrified at some of the behavior I witnessed at the D event last year. I'd never seen Tesla owners act like that and realized that times had changed. But it doesn't mean that all owners are like that.

Just keep pushing for civility on the forum, keep welcoming new members, keep joining in. It doesn't matter when you got your Tesla, it matters what you contribute going forward. And don't worry about the label. I don't know why some are so eager to label themselves as early adopters. It doesn't really matter.