Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P100d model S failed!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my Model S p100d two weeks ago, was working fine until today. Got into car this afternoon, got rear motor failure alert, followed by air suspension, and 12V battery. have 400 miles on car, charged to 85% at night, was at 80 plus percent charge when this happened. Thankfully the front motor got me home, awaiting road side service. Think I have a lemon...

Took delivery of my Model S p100d two weeks ago, was working fine until today. Got into car this afternoon, got rear motor failure alert, followed by air suspension, and 12V battery. have 400 miles on car, charged to 85% at night, was at 80 plus percent charge when this happened. Thankfully the front motor got me home, awaiting road side service. Think I have a lemon...

no, you have a 12v battery failure. something thousands of us have unfortunately had to endure.

you don't have a "lemon". easy on the theatrics.

I had my traction pack fail in the first 6 months or so, but no other major problems since.

Months later I actually look fondly at the situation, as like with your car it was crippled but still able to drive.

+1 to the nod that the front motor alone worked, just as Elon suggested would be possible. There had been a discussion in the forum here about whether that could actually work or not but your car is now proof (though surely it depends on what fails).

And +1 to Gavine's Q too, what did it feel like ? Front wheel drive Tesla :D

Yeah, being able to use just the front motor with a failed rear motor is, well, impossible. The rear motor inverter controls the front motor via CAN. If the rear motor fails, there's nothing to control the front motor since the rear motor directly accepts the throttle inputs and all.

I know of no failure condition that would allow this to happen. Front motor failure, sure, but not rear. Also, the only alerts I see related to motor failures are the dev mode related front/rear/both selection and for front motor failure.

So... photos please. If something's changed with this for the P100D, that'd be news to me.

The first error I received was the rear motor failure. Could feel the front pull of the motor, car definitely didn't have normal power, no thrust from rear. Fortunately I was a few miles from my house, and was able to drive it home. Now the car won't start, wrecker is on the way.

IMG_0303.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG

Please keep us posted. When my P90DL was brand new I had a cable on the 12V battery come lose (probably due to multiple Ludicrous launches). They fixed it right away and I haven't had a problem with the car since.

Hope it's a simple fix and I'm sure they will make it right whatever they need to do...

People still having 12 volt battery problems?
Seems Tesla has had plenty of time to fix that. Mine failed at 18months, fortunately giving me a warning rather than a shut down. Why don't they use a Ni Mh battery which last a long time in Prius? Lead acid batteries have a shortish life span on ICE but over 18 months.

Reactions: Eclectic