Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P3D vs Demo P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will be able to upgrade to the new MCU in the future :)

The Media Control Unit and the Autopilot computer are different computers. MCU in the S/X was upgraded to Model 3 specs on 14 March 2018. See the article here. You won't be able to upgrade the MCU. The MCU is what makes the touchscreen work faster.

You will be able to upgrade the Autopilot computer from HW2.5 to HW3.0 which comes as a free retrofit with the Full Self-Driving package.

The Media Control Unit and the Autopilot computer are different computers. MCU in the S/X was upgraded to Model 3 specs on 14 March 2018. See the article here. You won't be able to upgrade the MCU. The MCU is what makes the touchscreen work faster.

You will be able to upgrade the Autopilot computer from HW2.5 to HW3.0 which comes as a free retrofit with the Full Self-Driving package.
Yes we will!
Jung Musk on Twitter

Reactions: pilotSteve
Not sure if you or Telsa know this but anything over 12k km can no longer be sold as a demo unit. It is now a used car and will be sold as a used car to you.
I found this out when shopping for demos a few years ago, not a Tesla.
I really don't know exactly what the impact of this is but you may want to ask around
That number varies by state/province. In Colorado, for example, if a car has over 1500 miles (2400 km), then it can't be sold as new.

P100D

1. Cheaper
2. Faster
3. Better Looking
4. Higher end
5. The throttle curve is so much better on the P100D than the P3D no comparison. I drove the P3D and it's really not to my liking.
6. I've driven my P100D hard on curves and it's hard to get that traction control to kick on. Gets a little scary the lateral Gs you can pull, it handles amazingly. I've been able to get the back end to lose grip and when it grabs it launches. It's a monster. Just don't let 5,000lbs get away from you!

That number varies by state/province. In Colorado, for example, if a car has over 1500 miles (2400 km), then it can't be sold as new.

I should have mentioned I was talking about ops home province, Ontario.
I think really the only impact it would have is if the OP is planning on trading in a car. He won't get the tax break since it is now a used car instead of new/demo.
But if tesla doesn't know this rule for some reason maybe he'll get lucky and get a super good deal

Something isn't adding up though, there is no way a P100D with Luda is 10k less than a p3d. In the p3d price range used model s equivalent would be a 2015 85 here in Ontario

Last edited:
I have a recent ex demo p100d. And I've gone through phases of minor buyer's remorse with the p3d being what I was comparing it to, only to come out the other end knowing I made the right choice.

My reasoning for the remorse was that when I'm alone in a car I do enjoy the smaller car feel a lot more. Parking is simpler, city driving much easier. The zippy feeling isn't quite there in the S.

But! I'm a father of 4 (age 2 through 15 so rarely need 6 seats). Lucky enough to be able to afford a p100d. The p100d means we can go on long road trips with 3 kids, I can easily share some of the world's best performance with the whole family, every day. As a family we routinely fill the car, frunk and trunk. It's just a much more practical car.

Noise, air suspension and low center of gravity mean it feels on par with many of the top luxury sedans.

Pano roof and all windows open is also a unique experience with a car full of kids doing 0-60 in 2.4 seconds!

The straight line performance is noticably better, nothing really challenges a p100d off the lights. 2.4 and 3.3 seconds are not "close". Unless of course you want to take it to a track, where thermal limitations will ultimately give the upper hand to the p3d.

Charging really doesn't bother me. After 500km of driving the kids really need a break anyway. We never do multiple hops in a day anyway.

And with all that said I can't understate how much I prefer the aesthetics of the S. The mean bat mobile look of the S vs the cute bubble car look of the 3 are chalk and cheese to me. I find myself double taking as I walk away but the 3 when viewed from any forward angle makes me cringe a little, so close but needs a nose job badly!

In either case I'm sure you will enjoy the car. But there is no spec sheet that can sway you one way or the other.

P.s. if you take the S you can keep the 10k to upgrade to hw3.0 and mcu2. Both are straight plug in upgrades and confirmed to be an option down the line. Get fsd and hw3.0 "should" be free. Mcu 2 is unlikely to break the bank.

Not sure if you or Telsa know this but anything over 12k km can no longer be sold as a demo unit. It is now a used car and will be sold as a used car to you.
I found this out when shopping for demos a few years ago, not a Tesla.
I really don't know exactly what the impact of this is but you may want to ask around

To clarify, the purchase is not through Tesla. It's from a third party dealer .

I have a recent ex demo p100d. And I've gone through phases of minor buyer's remorse with the p3d being what I was comparing it to, only to come out the other end knowing I made the right choice.

My reasoning for the remorse was that when I'm alone in a car I do enjoy the smaller car feel a lot more. Parking is simpler, city driving much easier. The zippy feeling isn't quite there in the S.

But! I'm a father of 4 (age 2 through 15 so rarely need 6 seats). Lucky enough to be able to afford a p100d. The p100d means we can go on long road trips with 3 kids, I can easily share some of the world's best performance with the whole family, every day. As a family we routinely fill the car, frunk and trunk. It's just a much more practical car.

Noise, air suspension and low center of gravity mean it feels on par with many of the top luxury sedans.

Pano roof and all windows open is also a unique experience with a car full of kids doing 0-60 in 2.4 seconds!

The straight line performance is noticably better, nothing really challenges a p100d off the lights. 2.4 and 3.3 seconds are not "close". Unless of course you want to take it to a track, where thermal limitations will ultimately give the upper hand to the p3d.

Charging really doesn't bother me. After 500km of driving the kids really need a break anyway. We never do multiple hops in a day anyway.

And with all that said I can't understate how much I prefer the aesthetics of the S. The mean bat mobile look of the S vs the cute bubble car look of the 3 are chalk and cheese to me. I find myself double taking as I walk away but the 3 when viewed from any forward angle makes me cringe a little, so close but needs a nose job badly!

In either case I'm sure you will enjoy the car. But there is no spec sheet that can sway you one way or the other.

P.s. if you take the S you can keep the 10k to upgrade to hw3.0 and mcu2. Both are straight plug in upgrades and confirmed to be an option down the line. Get fsd and hw3.0 "should" be free. Mcu 2 is unlikely to break the bank.

Awesome advise. Thank you I will take the P100D.

At that price you can’t go wrong with the P100D. I had a 2015 85 D and had planned on trading in on a Model 3P. After driving the the P3, I didn’t want to give up the room and more luxurious feel and ride of the S. I ended up trading the 85 D for an inventory 2018 100 D with about 7000 miles on it. I couldn’t be happier. The newer S handles like a dream, is nearly as fast as the P3, and still has the room and ride of an S. The P100 D with Ludicrous is awesome. Go for it. 335 miles of range is great as well!

P3D because us P100D owners like to feel special and not see every other tesla s be a P100D.. *heavy sarcasm*

Like someone said if tech is important, get the P3D as your bound to get way more updates faster, and its newer tech.
If you like not having the guy in the M5 next to you pass you on the on ramp of a freeway, or 99% of any car on the street for that matter, the P100D is a beast in acceleration, and will make u giggle each time you floor it on ludi+ mode.