Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Powerwall Advanced Options [Toggles for charging from and discharging to grid from powerwalls]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The default export option is Export Solar Only, which means that once the PWs are charged, solar goes to the house and the rest to the grid. Export Everything lets the PW discharge down to the reserve setting, powering the house, of course, but the rest going out to the grid.

It is fairly smart about it, dumping to the grid as soon the export price goes high, but holding back enough to cover the house till the rate drops.

Yeah, weird. Perhaps PG&E interconnection folks have brain damage from Low Frequency (60 Hz) EMF radiation. ;-)

I think we have discussed this weirdness a bit before, and that Tesla only allows Export Everything on systems with 1 or 2 PW's, due to PG&E treating system export over 10kW differently. Something like that. If I recall correctly, even those "rules" did not explain your limitations. So I'm thinking LF EMF brain damage.

SW
MY gw with 2 has it, my GW with 3 does not. When they PTO so the GW has been increased to 3, will be interesting if it goes away

MY gw with 2 has it, my GW with 3 does not. When they PTO so the GW has been increased to 3, will be interesting if it goes away
For me, Export Everything is helping leverage my solar some to cover the cost
When they PTO so the GW has been increased to 3, will be interesting if it goes away
I think you already export more than enough to zero out your true-up, so the increased export credits Export Everything would generate are of no use to you. EE simply time shifts some of your solar export, and so can maximize TOU NEM credit. But if you export more than you import (net export I think it is called) the tiny credit they pay is not time sensitive.

The advantage for PG&E of EE is that we export more during the grids peak load, reducing the total peak load, and hence reducing the needed generation and transmission capacity, saving PG&E and other customers money. This effect was, of course, ignored in CPUC's "Look Back Study", because looking a few years back finds no residential batteries. Funny thing, the present and future are different from the past... These comments are more relevant to the NEM3 conversation, but intersect with the Grid Charging, Export Everything and VPP features.

SW

Reactions: h2ofun
Behold the trifecta of 0 dollar electric bills!

Took a couple of calls but finally got energy exports enabled as well. Before I only had grid charging after a call to powerwall support but it still prevented exporting anything substantial to grid during peak period.
1671306752948.png

And the “Permission to export” option is only for the +, right?

Per Tesla Support link above, permission to export is a Powerwall+ thing but you just need one powerwall+ to cover both powerwalls’ options. My understanding is that most places in US allows you to export energy to grid whether or not you see the option. It’s just limited to Solar. You may not want to do it though if you‘re in an area without net energy metering.

Energy export option on the other hand allows you to choose if you can export non-Solar stored power. This is not something that always show up on your app. But if you have this and you have grid charging, you charge from grid during off peak hours, export solar and grid charged power to grid during peak hours to shave your energy cost if you dont produce 100% offset from solar (I dont).

That has nothing to do with it (powerwall+ since I have 2 powerwall 2s and have that in my app as well. I am not following what might be allowed or not on various accounts etc, but it isnt powerwall 2 vs + or gateway 1 vs 2.
You have a standalone inverter? Agree that its not clear on whats allowed for who but the Tesla support link seem to indicate this should only be available if you’re on Powerwall+.

Clearly there are exceptions like you. Question is if its a combo based on gateway version/powerwall version

You have a standalone inverter? Agree that its not clear on whats allowed for who but the Tesla support link seem to indicate this should only be available if you’re on Powerwall+.

Clearly there are exceptions like you. Question is if its a combo based on gateway version/powerwall version

Yes, I have a stand alone inverter(s) (ABB brand actually, installed by solar city in 2015). A (4.2) and a (3.4) inverter. No micros, no optimizers. Tesla energy gateway 1a (the one with the reset button in the middle) and (2) powerwall 2s (no powerwall+. From the little I looked into this here, it seemed to me that people with 3+ powerwalls did not have the export anything setting, but I am not certain on that at all.

Yes, I have a stand alone inverter(s) (ABB brand actually, installed by solar city in 2015). A (4.2) and a (3.4) inverter. No micros, no optimizers. Tesla energy gateway 1a (the one with the reset button in the middle) and (2) powerwall 2s (no powerwall+. From the little I looked into this here, it seemed to me that people with 3+ powerwalls did not have the export anything setting, but I am not certain on that at all.
Gotcha. Export anything setting is set on the backend by Tesla using a system called Telescope where they set “PV only“ or “Battery Ok”. If they select “Battery Ok”, it enables this option in the app. This can be restricted based on your utility/installer. Not sure if theres a limitation based on number of powerwalls

Gotcha. Export anything setting is set on the backend by Tesla using a system called Telescope where they set “PV only“ or “Battery Ok”. If they select “Battery Ok”, it enables this option in the app. This can be restricted based on your utility/installer. Not sure if theres a limitation based on number of powerwalls

Thats a lot more information on the back end process than I have seen before. Thanks for sharing it.

Reactions: Red_DS
Has anyone gained further insight into if Export Everything is only allowable for 1 or 2 PW's, but not for 3+, when it comes to PG&E?

Was planning on getting 4 (my solar system requires at least 2 PW+'s just for the inverter, i need 7 MPPT's) and was planning to both time shift the export into the peak period (i'll have a 10.8kW system, 27 panels) + have a bit more reserve for the house. If 3+ PW's prevents EE, it might make more sense for me to ditch two of the PW's and just stick with two total.

Also, semi-related...have people been able to get any more info wrt ITC/IRA tax credit and charging ESS from the grid? Did I pickup that the general previous understanding was that if you took the ITC, then you needed to wait X years (5?) before you could charge an ESS from the grid (not just solar)...but that in the new IRA, something changed and made this acceptable from Day 1? Though I guess PG&E still would have to approve this, but it leaves the potential that it could be possible over the coming years?

Has anyone gained further insight into if Export Everything is only allowable for 1 or 2 PW's, but not for 3+, when it comes to PG&E?

Was planning on getting 4 (my solar system requires at least 2 PW+'s just for the inverter, i need 7 MPPT's) and was planning to both time shift the export into the peak period (i'll have a 10.8kW system, 27 panels) + have a bit more reserve for the house. If 3+ PW's prevents EE, it might make more sense for me to ditch two of the PW's and just stick with two total.

Also, semi-related...have people been able to get any more info wrt ITC/IRA tax credit and charging ESS from the grid? Did I pickup that the general previous understanding was that if you took the ITC, then you needed to wait X years (5?) before you could charge an ESS from the grid (not just solar)...but that in the new IRA, something changed and made this acceptable from Day 1? Though I guess PG&E still would have to approve this, but it leaves the potential that it could be possible over the coming years?

I have had someone who has more than 2 powerwalls pm me and tell me they have export everything in their Tesla app, and are in PGE area.

Makes no sence. I had one GW with 2 PW's have EE, but one with 3 not. I got updated so now that GW has 3, and still has EE, but the GW with 4 does not. Seems maybe more hit or miss. I called asking why different and never heard back.

YRide,

I posted a while back, nothing definitive but similar to your topic: Link.

My understanding on the number of power walls is that the PG&E NEM tariff treats systems with larger capacity differently. Over 10kW, they require special metering or non-export controls, while systems under 10kW can use the "estimation methodology". (Special Condition 9, c, 2, ii). I gather this is all to minimize TOU arbitrage, grid charging off peak and exporting on-peak, by limiting export to the amount of solar production, either measured or estimated. Larger systems make larger export possible, so they want better data, it seems. Early on at least, Tesla seemed to be helping PG&E enforce their rules, but more recently some folks with 3 and more PW have reported that they can Export Everything.

In my case, with only one PW and no ITC taken, I am flying below the radar. Still, against my installer's advice, I did, opt to tell PG&E I was enlarging my solar array so that they would calculate a larger export limit, even though this meant I lost my NEM1 grandfathering.

Anyway, on both your ITC and the multi PW questions, there still does not seem to be much clarity. Oh, and the new NEM3 tariffs have not been published yet, so uncertainty reigns, I fear.

SW

Reactions: YRide