Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Powerwall Advanced Options [Toggles for charging from and discharging to grid from powerwalls]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone interested in filing a suit against Tesla for disallowing charging from the Grid? I'm extremely annoyed by this arbitrary limitation placed upon these batteries. IEEE standards don't disallow it, new ITC law qualifies powerwalls w/o solar systems.

I'm ready to go to arbitration for this and anyone willing to share the cost would be welcome.

Anyone interested in filing a suit against Tesla for disallowing charging from the Grid? I'm extremely annoyed by this arbitrary limitation placed upon these batteries. IEEE standards don't disallow it, new ITC law qualifies powerwalls w/o solar systems.

I'm ready to go to arbitration for this and anyone willing to share the cost would be welcome.
Its not tesla, may of us have grid charging. Its the installer and do you own it 100% I believe. Emotion gets no where

Its not tesla, may of us have grid charging. Its the installer and do you own it 100% I believe. Emotion gets no where
agreed that the drama can be toned down a bit, but i don't have grid charging on my 2022 install in NJ. California rules depend on your rate plan etc.

I would wait until February, as I said, they didn't even have a pricing strategy for cars in 2023 until weeks after the new year. Tesla support isn't going to stray from their script, give it a few weeks and try again. Your install finished last week? I'm amazed you can even interact with your system already lol.

Reactions: jhn_ and h2ofun
I recently noticed the Grid charging option on my Powerwall app, tried it last night and it charged 17.7 kw to my battery between midnight and about 2:30 am.
I've had solar for 17 years and my Powerwalls are 5 years old. I would think any tax implications would only apply to the first year the powerwalls are installed.
What would the tax implications be???

I recently noticed the Grid charging option on my Powerwall app, tried it last night and it charged 17.7 kw to my battery between midnight and about 2:30 am.
I've had solar for 17 years and my Powerwalls are 5 years old. I would think any tax implications would only apply to the first year the powerwalls are installed.
What would the tax implications be???
The Federal Investment Tax Credit (aka Solar Credit) prior to the current revision required the batteries to be 100% charged from a renewable source in order to be eligible. There doesn't seem to be any clear indication of how long the batteries need to be charged from solar before grid charging is allowed. Commercial installations have a 5 year claw-back period for the credit. However, commercial installations are also allowed to charge up to 25% from a non-renewable source, with a pro-rated credit.
The current tax credit includes standalone Powerwall batteries (without solar), which logically should mean that grid charging is allowed even with solar.

Reactions: Zsoldier
Though still waiting for ESS PTO (solar PTO was a few years ago), my PW system has been up and running for nearly 5 months. The Grid Export restricted message and EV options finally appeared (recently) in my app but still no sign of Export Solar Only / Export Everything. I have 5 PW with SCE. Is there some magic process where the EE option will get activated during PTO or is my only hope to beg Tesla once I get PTO?

My last 12 months electric bill with SCE was around 1300. For that last year, I had 10.2kw solar system + 2 PW2. I was using TOU mode all year with no changes to the setup.

I'm on TOU-D-PRIME.

I'd like to get my bill to or make money back.

I recently added 2 more PW2. So now 4 PW2 with my 10.2kw solar system. Does this make sense to improve my bill?:

- TOU on with 20% reserve
- Export Everything (previously I wasn't. just solar.)
- Grid charging on
- for my utility rate plan, I've edited to include the buy prices of off peak, mid peak, and super off peak. I've edited the sell prices to be .04 less than buy to account for NBCs (though IDK what the actual sell price is.)

So far, I've noticed grid charging starts at 8am during super off peak. It charges from 20% all the way to around 50-60%. Then solar power charges up the rest until 4pm. from 4-9 it's exporting everything down to 20% by 9pm. then back to the grid overnight for off-peak. (I typically charge our MX at 9pm once a week.)

Also, with off-peak at .22c and super off peak at .22c, how are they any different?

My last 12 months electric bill with SCE was around 1300. For that last year, I had 10.2kw solar system + 2 PW2. I was using TOU mode all year with no changes to the setup.

I'm on TOU-D-PRIME.

I'd like to get my bill to or make money back.

I recently added 2 more PW2. So now 4 PW2 with my 10.2kw solar system. Does this make sense to improve my bill?:

- TOU on with 20% reserve
- Export Everything (previously I wasn't. just solar.)
- Grid charging on
- for my utility rate plan, I've edited to include the buy prices of off peak, mid peak, and super off peak. I've edited the sell prices to be .04 less than buy to account for NBCs (though IDK what the actual sell price is.)

So far, I've noticed grid charging starts at 8am during super off peak. It charges from 20% all the way to around 50-60%. Then solar power charges up the rest until 4pm. from 4-9 it's exporting everything down to 20% by 9pm. then back to the grid overnight for off-peak. (I typically charge our MX at 9pm once a week.)

Also, with off-peak at .22c and super off peak at .22c, how are they any different?
Those are the best settings for TOU-D-PRIME. There is no difference between off-peak and super off-peak in this tariff. It's just there as a placeholder.

Be careful with both Grid Charging and Export Everything. You could exceed your maximum allowable cap for exports, and if you do, you will forfeit the on-peak (or mid-peak in winter) generation first. Check your bill after you make this change to be sure you aren't exporting more than your monthly cap (which changes every month).

Reactions: h2ofun
Those are the best settings for TOU-D-PRIME. There is no difference between off-peak and super off-peak in this tariff. It's just there as a placeholder.

Be careful with both Grid Charging and Export Everything. You could exceed your maximum allowable cap for exports, and if you do, you will forfeit the on-peak (or mid-peak in winter) generation first. Check your bill after you make this change to be sure you aren't exporting more than your monthly cap (which changes every month).

how do I view my monthly cap? where is that on the bill? this is the kind of info I wanted to know - like is there a downside to exporting so much to the grid during peak?