Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster Goodies for 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I very much hope the Roadster portion is wrong. 400 miles is unusably huge.

For you, maybe. Some of us take roadtrips in our Roadsters & this will make a world of difference to us. Tesla is not going to please everyone. But accept that they ARE pleasing some of us.

And they are sending a very strong message to the market and future customers that old technology is not just abandoned.

they are sending a very strong message to the market and future customers that old technology is not just abandoned.
that may be what Tesla want you to believe but it's not the reality on the ground for Roadster owners here in the UK... many are worried about keeping their Roadsters on the road even if they stumped up the cash for an extended warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

I very much hope the Roadster portion is wrong. 400 miles is unusably huge.
I doubt it will be anything like 400 'real' miles and I'll take extra range because I use the Roadster on road trips most of the time :smile:

I know Tesla/Elon tend to quote "ideal" miles and such, but does anybody think the fact that he specifically mentions SF to LA implies 400 real/EPA miles?
Given it was a UK interview he should have been using NEDC range figures (we don't use EPA)... that's bad news because the 85kWh Model S has a claimed NEDC range 312 miles which compares badly with the 265 miles EPA range.

Like most things Elon says the 400 mile claim needs a certain amount of 'interpretation' :smile:

I don't think Elon actually knows what the final range will be, or he would have said it (rather than 'about'). It will depend on the battery performance and that probably still is up in the air. But I'm looking at the phrase 'SF to LA' as the telling range. Because not having to stop on that particular stretch would be a godsend. I'll have my Model X soon enough, but I really like having the Roadster down in SoCal, it's so conducive to 'top off' weather. NorCal is usually blistering hot or raining.

I'll wait patiently. I don't think there are answers today or more would be said.

I know Tesla/Elon tend to quote "ideal" miles and such, but does anybody think the fact that he specifically mentions SF to LA implies 400 real/EPA miles?

Yes of course. As you noted, he was using a real world example of how far a Roadster could travel with the upcoming new battery. When he said 400 miles of range, that is what he meant. It is very close to 400 miles from downtown SF to downtown LA if you take interstate 5 most of the way.

Great to see the Roadster playing an important role in the Gigafactory/Model ≡ development road map

(BTW to type Model ≡ instead of Model III or Model 3, just type Model followed by Ampersand Hash 8801 Semicolon i.e. Model & # 8801 ; but without the 3 spaces after the &)

...and I need to get out more.

You can also hold ALT (on windows) and type 240 on the numpad: ≡ - a tad more instantly gratifying

I hope bonnie and others who pre-bought the replacement pack get the new one at no extra cost. I think that would be a pretty cool thing for Tesla to do. (And that's speaking as someone who didn't go for it.)

Agreed. As much as I complain about the way some of the sig stuff went down, the Roadster owners are the true pioneers and Tesla should bend over backwards to please them IMO.

NorCal is usually blistering hot or raining.

That's the problem with the soon-to-maybe-be Great State of Northern California. You should be in the Great State of Silicon Valley:

20131223_062330_ssjm1224draper90-01_400.jpg