Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster Goodies for 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roadster's and the Supercharger network

Last week when Tesla announced its financials, Elon tweeted "Tesla will circle back and do something cool for Roadsters next year" .... what can this be?
Supercharger capable battery upgrade?

The development of an adaptor for the Roadsters to use the supercharger network would be the best!

Unfortunately we're not talking about an adapter. This would require a significant retrofit to the car and battery pack. The Roadster doesn't have the signalling capability, nor the high voltage DC bypass.
Agreed. Based on what was said at Teslive, I would expect we'll see Next Gen Roadster before we'd even hear a whisper of a supercharger retrofit for Original* Roadster.

* For simplicity sake, I mean all "pre Model S" Roadsters not just 1.0 builds.

From conversations with the technical team, here's what I am hearing about the upgrade:
1) sub 3 second 0-100 km/h
2) liquid cooled electronics and motor
3) rather expensive ($30k?)

This all may require major changes to the batteries and is almost definitely not a ranger job so we'll need to get our cars to a service center (a mere 2000km drive for me), but despite all this if we are talking about Veyron-level acceleration and proper Model S style cooling for "just" $30k... Frankly I'm taking it! :)

From conversations with the technical team, here's what I am hearing about the upgrade:

This all may require major changes to the batteries and is almost definitely not a ranger job so we'll need to get our cars to a service center (a mere 2000km drive for me), but despite all this if we are talking about Veyron-level acceleration and proper Model S style cooling for "just" $30k... Frankly I'm taking it! :)

We've been hearing about those upgrades for a while now, I think they got shelved when Joost left.

I'd be hard pressed to not take 'em up on such an upgrade, even at $30k.

But wow - if the car eats rear tires with today's acceleration, what's it going to be like at sub 3s? Just have to mentally be prepared to leave visible rubber behind most everywhere you go :)

As exciting as it would be $30K is not exactly cheap by any means. Pardon my ignorance but did I see a new battery for that price anywhere in the upgrade list of 3 items (unless it is included under the liquid cooled electronics)?

It might require a new battery to get the amps up high enough.

A significantly better battery (longer range and/or lighter) would still be my most fervent wish.

I would assume a new battery, PEM, etc. I would budget for a $50k upgrade. Which is a lot but I don't know of any sub $200k car that can do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. I still don't know how they're going to get all that power to the ground though....

But for me personally I'd rather buy a Mission R next year than make my Roadster faster. Then someday if/when my PEM fails I'll just do the upgrade so the upgrade will be "discounted" by the cost of a new PEM.

I'm hoping for free supercharger/battery/PEM upgrade.

Why free? Because anything they spend their resources on and charge enough to break even would not achieve the necessary volume gov the effort. Might as well make it free and have 2000 beta testers out there for you.

For 50K I'd buy a different car most likely as much as I love my 1.5

I would probably drive my current 2.0 till the battery has degraded to the point I could no longer drive it to and from home and work. As much as I would love to buy the upgrades, at that point I would try to buy a lower milage 2.5 and keep the 2.0 in the garage until battery prices have come way down or someone wants to buy it.

Or...buy a Gen3 / New Roadster.

To me HPC charging at super charger sites is number 1. Right now it looks like EVs are quickly left behind the technology curve which hurts resale.
Exactly. Getting 70 miles of range per hour might seem slow compared to Supercharging but it's triple what we get from a typical public level 2 charger. An 8 hour stop turns into a less than 3 hour stop. Not ideal but a huge improvement.