Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster Goodies for 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. The Roadster maxes out around 200kW, so if you punch it when the battery is low it can draw up to 560 amps.

It's slow blow, the ESS sheet fuse model number is A50qS400-4
fuse.png

data sheet here

At 700amps, it will take over an minute to blow.
fuse2.png

Edit: Opps I selected the 350amps and not 400 amps line, so it will even last longer at 700 amps.

Everytime I've seen someone push something like a product to be out on a particular date just to meet that date, the people who pushed for it always seem to regret it and wish they've waited. I'm in no hurry. Get it done right, possibly more than 400 miles may be added. Do all the test and validation that's needed, and when its time and testing is 100% completed to satisfaction (that defines its ready for customers), then go and release it. But please don't release anything prematurely due to public pressure. It never ends in a good way. And don't expect the public to take the blame for being impatient, they'll pass the blame on to the person or company that let it go out the door too early, saying why did was it released before being fully tested! So Tesla, do take as much time as needed. I want a battery pack that works the first time its dropped in and very interested in the highest reliability possible.

Last edited:
400 Mile Pack (Was New Roadster Goodies for 2014)

My 1.5 #105 is down to 161 miles on a standard charge and is now about 10miles from no longer being able to get me from Minneapolis to Duluth in range mode :( the problem is when you lose the ability to get to certain final destinations that you frequent

I'm OK with waiting longer too, not really planning to replace the pack. But I would like to know sooner the approx price and whether it comes with a quicker charging possibility (either SC or three phase). If not, I may try to add that by myself.

I'm in no hurry personally (seeing only about 2-3% degradation in range after almost 4 years) but I do believe that sitting back and being overly patient with Tesla sometimes means waiting indefinitely. I'm sure at the time Elon meant what he said in May 2013 (and later) but it looks 100% certain there's nothing coming in 2014; if Tesla can't get an option out in 20 months then it might never happen at all.

I'm in no hurry personally (seeing only about 2-3% degradation in range after almost 4 years) but I do believe that sitting back and being overly patient with Tesla sometimes means waiting indefinitely. I'm sure at the time Elon meant what he said in May 2013 (and later) but it looks 100% certain there's nothing coming in 2014; if Tesla can't get an option out in 20 months then it might never happen at all.

Agree.

I suspect the scenario was Elon announced (and absolutely he meant it), engineers started scrambling to make it happen - and then they had an 'all hands on deck' scenario getting the D ready for the event. After that, teams were focused on new priorities, no one mentioned the 400mile pack as something that had to be done now, so it was left for the proverbial 'we'll get to that later', and no one has ever looked back again. And now it's the end of 2014.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm OK with waiting longer too, not really planning to replace the pack. But I would like to know sooner the approx price and whether it comes with a quicker charging possibility (either SC or three phase). If not, I may try to add that by myself.

How would you go about adding supercharging capability by yourself?

400 Mile Pack (Was New Roadster Goodies for 2014)

The likelihood of the Roadster having DC charging (Supercharger compatibility or some other form of DC charging) has been discussed multiple times on this forum. It won't happen. The Roadster is limited to 70A AC.

I am sure many of us are curious to know how you could implement that on your own.

A significantly larger Roadster battery would be awesome even with the current Roadster charging capability.

Maybe we should start on organized "Dear Elon" email campaign to try to get his attention. What email addresses could we send to at Tesla?

Yes, I am changing my vote to "never". Surely, if there was any respect at all for Roadster owners, there'd be an update tweet saying "sorry, had good intentions, but just cannot make it this year. But rest assured, it will happen. Please just bear with us. It is just taking a bit longer than expected." But total silence is very ominous.

So, go on Elon. Prove me wrong, and send a tweet in the next two weeks to update patient Roadster owners before year end on the position as it stands right now. How difficult is that? I don't need a new battery, and don't much care when this happens, if ever. But respect would mean an email of update ... how difficult is that, actually?